Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  6
  1. Default ECHO BAG Quickshot

Has anyone thrown this rod? I'm interested in reading a review but can't seem to find any online.

Bad Ass Glass Quickshot | Echo Fly Fishing

Thanks

2. Likes karstopo liked this post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: ECHO BAG Quickshot

I'd like to know, too. These rods look so new and maybe just coming to market. I don't think many people have laid hands on them just yet. I'm glad you posted this because I hadn't heard of them beyond the 9' models. The 8' rods look right up my alley. Also, not a bank breaker on the price.

I'm thinking the seven weight for inshore salt and big LMB/carp. I really like my 5/6 weight CGR so maybe I'll go for the 6 weight BAG Quickshot. Sometimes, I crave a fiberglass rod that is slightly less noodle-ish than my CGR's.

4. Likes mcnerney, brownbass liked this post

I too am interested in these Quickshot rods as the 9 footers were a bit too much for me weight and balance wise. Not crazy about the colors but maybe it grows on you. I think I shall give the 8 weight a try when they become available.

Blog Entries

I got a nine weight BAG Quickshot as a Christmas gift. I can’t imagine casting the 9’ model for long, the 8’ rod swings heavy enough. I paired the nine weight with a Nautilus X XL Max spooled with 9 weight SA Saltwater Titan taper. The line seem like a good fit for the rod for the brief amount of time I made casts off the dock. I might try a heavier reel next time as the set up with the Nautilus felt noticeably tip heavy.

The nine weight BAG Quickshot really seems powerful. I can only do sidearm casts off the dock with the tree canopy, but it was very evident this rod is one that can really blast out a lot of line. Next, I need to take it fishing. It would appear to be too much rod for the run of the mill marsh redfish I run into. I could see this rod be a good fit for those boat nearshore cruises I’ve done where I’ve run into anything from bull reds, Tarpon, jacks, and large triple-tail.
    Wherever you go, there you are.

7. Likes brownbass, djb_88 liked this post
  8. Default Re: ECHO BAG Quickshot

It almost sounds like you are calling this rod in 9 wt a light heavy rod in terms of application.

I recently got an 8wt BAG Quickshot as a birthday present to myself. It being winter in the Midwest, I haven’t actutfished it yet, but I did have a calm afternoon and took it out to a local soccer field and played around casting several different lines. As with other glass rods I have, it is very forgiving of line selection and I cast 7, 8, and 9wt lines with good success. I am really excited about this rod becoming my go-to pike rod in the coming year because I casts SO well and SO easily. It’s just a very pleasant and simple rod to cast. I did not find the weight objectionable at all, but I also know what to expect from a glass rod. I do think the balance would be off if a person put a modern, super light reel on it. I put an old Ross Canyon on mine since this reel is relatively heavier than newer reels.....thus the balance point ends up ideal and the “swing weight” is much nicer. I used a traditional WF, a Rio Outbound Short, a pike/musky taper, an integrated skagit, and a WF sink tip for my test casting. I will be using the Outbound Short for pike I believe. With decent timing, I was able to shoot the entire line.....not something I’ve done with any other glass rod I own. Glad I got the 8’ version.

Matt

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by del gue View Post
    It almost sounds like you are calling this rod in 9 wt a light heavy rod in terms of application.
    Yes, much of the year, Iím in the marsh and bay in my kayak slinging size 4 somethings to five pound whateverís. I think the 9 weight BAG Quickshot on first impression seems to be more rod than I want or need for that, Iíll just likely keep using the 7/8 weight CGR or if itís windy, the 8/9 g. Loomis Short Stix.

Sometimes we go out in my buddyís Blue Wave and run into schools of bigger redfish, schools of Jack Creavelle, schools of Tarpon, etc. King mackerel might come into the mix. Last year, we ran into some 30Ē or better snook. Iíve been taking either the 8/9 weight Short Stix or a 9í TFO ten weight. I see the 9 weight Quickshot shot being more rugged and more able to handle bigger flies and fish than the 8/9 Short Stix. A 9í rod just gets in the way on the boat, so the 8í Quickshot would be a better choice than my 10 weight.

These are the sizes of redfish we run into.

Or jacks like this.

Sometimes, in my kayak Iíll find bigger fish than what might work well on the CGR set ups.

I see the 9 weight Quickshot being a better choice for these fish than what I had previously used.

11. Likes smoke33 liked this post
  12. Default Re: ECHO BAG Quickshot

Dude, those are some VERY nice fish!!!! That Quickshot looks like it would be perfect for fish of that size.

That's definitely not a fly in that tarpon's jaw

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deceiverbob View Post
    That's definitely not a fly in that tarpon's jaw
    Yes, it's a gold rapala twitch bait using a revo Sx baitcasting reel and medium 6'6" rod. I run into this size of tarpon in some years while in my kayak. I was putting the photo as an example of the size of fish I tend to encounter. That fish and one about a foot longer are the only tarpon I definitely have hooked, but it was a year or two before I started fly rodding. The other bigger tarpon busted a 15# leader on the second leap. The one I brought to hand jumped 10-12 times and mostly wore itself out.

Maybe when and if these tarpon show again, I'll be ready with the 9 weight BAG quickshot. ECHO BAG Quickshot

15. Thanks flntknp17 thanked for this post