Wt Sage LL 389 3 pieced

joselu

Reaction score
Hi. I want to buy this fly rod. Tell me if you have it and you want to sell.
Thanks

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

joselu

Reaction score
I am sorry. It is too much money for me. Thanks

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I am sorry. It is too much money for me. Thanks
That's fine, like most who have this rod...and I've had it since new...I don't really want to sell it. I don't actually consider it to be worth over a grand but to replace it would require my buying a Sage X 8 1/2'/#4 (which you might look at) and it is over $900.

steveid

Reaction score
The one I saw on eBay was $1200 today. Sounds like you're going to have to find somebody who doesn't know what they have to get it for anything less than a premium.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
He was joking - what he meant is that it will be pried from his cold, dead hands, and I feel the same - it's my favorite rod I've ever owned.
I really would sell it for $1,000 (+ shipping). My wife fishes it more than I do and she would want the money plus my Sage SP#4, which I am also loathe to part with, or the above mentioned new X #4 which she is fascinated by since casting it at Somerset last January. Truth be told, history and sentimentality aside, objectively the X is a far better rod in the same applications...dry flies at moderate distances on not too big water.

I have a number of classics fly fishers lust over including a number of early Orvis graphite's and also early 8 1/2' Winston's. However, folks want a bargain on them because they are old and the reverse is the case; because they are no longer available, the price is going up with each passing season.

San Francisco built Winston

Ted Simroe (of Leonard) original Rodon Boron-Graphite

Before they called them "Superfines"...they were

joselu

Reaction score
Jaja!!!! I have a One 486, I think that it is like X486... my friend has a 389 LL, it is more sweet!!!

mtbusman

Reaction score
The one I saw on eBay was $1200 today. Sounds like you're going to have to find somebody who doesn't know what they have to get it for anything less than a premium.
I saw the listing. It is supposed to be from a special collection, a limited edition number 222 of 500 made. It is four piece. The rod tube says "Sage Classic" on it.

The limited edition is sending an already rare rod to a price even higher. You should be able to find one at a cheaper price than $1200, but they don't show up very often. Some classic rods become available after an estate sale, or if someone is thinning down their collection. You'll need to determine how much you are willing to pay, and keep looking, if you mean to get one of these. Besides ebay, you can google the rod and see if any are available from businesses who specialize in used rods or classics.

jayr

Reaction score
I saw the listing. It is supposed to be from a special collection, a limited edition number 222 of 500 made. It is four piece. The rod tube says "Sage Classic" on it.

The limited edition is sending an already rare rod to a price even higher. You should be able to find one at a cheaper price than $1200, but they don't show up very often. Some classic rods become available after an estate sale, or if someone is thinning down their collection. You'll need to determine how much you are willing to pay, and keep looking, if you mean to get one of these. Besides ebay, you can google the rod and see if any are available from businesses who specialize in used rods or classics.
Right now there is only the one on eBay. It has been on there for at least a month or two. I have seen as many as 3 or 4 at a time there. They are mostly US rods, but on a fairly regular occurrence see them from Japan and even Australia. With a world wide audience they tend to bring good money.

I got lucky and found mine in a corner of a fly shop last year in NC, it can happen.

mtbusman

Reaction score
Right now there is only the one on eBay. It has been on there for at least a month or two.
Maybe the price is a little steep. Some people will hold out for the price they want, months, even years. There are a couple of Winston WTs on the auction site that are priced too high and are still there going on two years. Seller must not need the money -- or just doesn't care how long it takes to sell the rod.

joselu

Reaction score
I want ll 388 fly rod for fly fishing..., no for a museum.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score

I have many older rods because I have been fly fishing since the 1960's and don't often part with memorable rods. None of mine are intended for a "museum" but to fish with. And I too have and adore 8 1/2/#4 ONE...no doubt in my mind a future classic. The X version is quite different, deeper flexing and more mass communicative while retaining ONE's superlative recovery rate...which, for the record, LL does not come close too. LL is sweet though and was ahead of its time as Sage mostly has been. Based on this thread I am upping my price to $1,150.

Short story. I have an old friend from the East who went West around 1970...and staid there. He became a well known guide and shop owner in West Yellowstone and is a great angler and fabulous caster. Fishing the Madison Braids with him in the 80's he touted the virtues of his new 8 1/2'/#5 LL. I was impressed but had a rod of that size, my vaunted original Scott Graphite so got this 8'9" model instead...apparently a good investment.

jayr

Reaction score

I am with you, I fish with my rods.

Whoever does buy that one for $1200 and fishes it will probably lose about 40% of what they paid the first time they take it out.

Like I said, visit local fly shops if you have any or travel near any. I got mine out the door tax and all for $250 so deals can be found. :D

cerec_cat

Reaction score

This is the one I have. Think I paid 500 for it