Opinions on old Fenwi k

pnc

Reaction score
Got a old Fenwick PLS 65 given to me today. 3pc in tube. Somewhat rough shape, guides don't look good. Will clean up when I get chance.
Normally would put on reel and throw some line. But don't have any throw away line at moment. Guides as they are would tear up line.
Was hoping someone might be familiar & would rebuild be worth it.

......... pc

Ops. Maxam CW 49-70-26 , good shape know nothing about it. Anybody ?

tcorfey

Reaction score
Probably not worth a pro to do it, but if you ever had the itch to try rod building?
You can buy a set of guides for $10 - $20.00 get some thread and rewrap them yourself.
It is not hard and its a good winter project.

Regards,

Tim C.

pnc

Reaction score
Been building rods for years. Complete take down & rebuild about a week if blank needs paint.
Was curious about rod itself. Whether redoing is worth effort. If rod is something I would find use for or not.

........ pc

Rip Tide

Reaction score
My dad had one. I think that I must have given it away after he had passed.
Perfectly good spin rod. Maybe even better than average

pnc

Reaction score
My dad had one. I think that I must have given it away after he had passed.
Perfectly good spin rod. Maybe even better than average
Spin rod ? As in spinning ? Label on 4' tube reads as I posted. Rod is 3 pc 9' fly rod. Size difference didn't hit home till now.
Took magnifying glass to rod. No markings other than partial decal. Gold oval, black outline, black writting top & bottom, red oval center w/fish (same gold/black). Letters visible on top, in bold print, what looks like a K, Then GUE. Spacing looks like one word. On bottem of oval are the letters OGLASS. CapitL letters, smaller than name(assumed) on top. Above the OGLASS, in small print U.S. PAT. OFF.
Rod is brown with tiger stripe effect. From 3' looks like wood. No sign of Fenwick logo on rod. Hmmmmm

........ pc

moucheur2003

Reaction score
Spin rod ? As in spinning ? Label on 4' tube reads as I posted. Rod is 3 pc 9' fly rod. Size difference didn't hit home till now.
Took magnifying glass to rod. No markings other than partial decal. Gold oval, black outline, black writting top & bottom, red oval center w/fish (same gold/black). Letters visible on top, in bold print, what looks like a K, Then GUE. Spacing looks like one word. On bottem of oval are the letters OGLASS. CapitL letters, smaller than name(assumed) on top. Above the OGLASS, in small print U.S. PAT. OFF.
Rod is brown with tiger stripe effect. From 3' looks like wood. No sign of Fenwick logo on rod. Hmmmmm

........ pc
Sounds like it might be a Montague Holloglass. See pic here: http://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/i...ly-rod_1_f8506c8365d1d95ad0ce6bb0c44c7003.jpg

pnc

Reaction score
Yes thats definitely it. Same decal, different color (red & black) thread bands.
Rod itself looks fine. Guides are awful. Use would be limited at best. As is , no idea of weight or what use it might serve. Hence is it worth rebuilding ?

......... pc

moucheur2003

Reaction score
Is it worth rebuilding? Probably not in terms of dollar value alone. Those were low-priced, mass-market rods, I believe. But I would guess that the blank is still functional, so if you test it with a few lines and find the weight that matches, and if you like the action, it might be worthwhile just to have something unusual that you enjoy.

pnc

Reaction score
Is it worth rebuilding? Probably not in terms of dollar value alone. Those were low-priced, mass-market rods, I believe. But I would guess that the blank is still functional, so if you test it with a few lines and find the weight that matches, and if you like the action, it might be worthwhile just to have something unusual that you enjoy.
Kind of hit on what I was thinking. The glass rods I have are all 2 pc. This being 3 raised questions. Reel seat & hardware have low budget written on them. Plastic seat, pinned end cap.
Guides, tip have to be changed before lining rod. More than likely when I'm stuck home & bored it will be done by afternoon one day. Blank looks good as is. No paint will make It quick. Cork & seat just need cleaning. Have guides already from other rod builds.
Maybe someone will know weight range for these. Guides that are left (2 missing) are small, not unusually so. But stripper looks to have been replaced. With the smallest stripper I've ever seen.
I'm sure it's not to far off. Curious as to opinions on rod. Or 3 pc rods in general vs 2 when it comes to glass.

...... pc

moucheur2003

Reaction score
Maybe someone will know weight range for these. ... Curious as to opinions on rod. Or 3 pc rods in general vs 2 when it comes to glass.

...... pc
Can't help you there. Never seen one except in online discussions. From comments in another forum it sounded as though these rods were sold in a range of lengths, beginning before the AFTMA line weight standards came out, and the best line for a given length was a matter of conventional wisdom and personal preference. For example, I have an old 2-piece 8' 9" glass Shakespeare Wonderod that according to online chatter was originally intended to cast lines equivalent to AFTMA 7 through 9. (I like it best with an 8.) You might find some more knowledgeable folks at fiberglassflyrodders.com .

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Nine foot vintage glass rods are at least 8wts if not 10s
Rule of thumb... the longer the rod, the heavier the line
Cheap hareware (not counting the ferrules) makes little difference as they basically used the same blanks for all price ranges, just changing the hardware and adding guides for the higher end stuff
What you'd want to do if you were to re-build is to bring it up to the proper number of guides.
You'd want at least 9 for a 9' rod and likely 10 and that's not counting the tip-top

pnc

Reaction score
Number of guides on rod was once 10, and tip. Length and size of blank in butt section is what brings weight to question. Blank entering handle is smaller than newer 4 & 5w glass rods. All glass I have also being shorter.
Maybe I can get to it soon.

.........pc