Powell fly rods,

karstopo

Reaction score
I saw those somewhere online, but never have I heard anything about them or put my hands on one. Seems like I read they were once highly thought of and were produced in CA by a family operation. I don’t know if that’s still the case or not.

tcorfey

Reaction score
As Karstopo said the Powell's were a semi-famous family of rod builders in California. The Powell's sold out to Charles Schwab in the 90's. Schwab eventually moved production overseas and sold the company to someone else.

The original (pre-Schwab) Powell fly rods are very well thought of and there are lot's of collectors, they produced Bamboo, eventually fiberglass and graphite rods. Walt Powell was one of the pioneers of the Hexagraph line of rods, eventually a rod line sold to Harry Briscoe (closed up shop in 2014), these rods were made of graphite but made to cast and look like bamboo. I believe they used a Hexagraph rod to perform the fancy casts in "the movie", A River Runs Through because it looks like Bamboo and had the torsional strength of Graphite.

The Sweet P is a relatively new fiberglass rod from the company that purchased the Powell Rod Company from Charles Schwab.

You might try googling "Powell fly rod Sweet P reviews" there are a couple of reviews I saw.

If you are interested - Powell rod Co. History
Home Page

Regards,

Tim C.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Tim pretty well provided more than I ever knew about the rods. A friend of mine from NY. who was a collector had some of their rods. That was in the 90's and I got to cast with one for a day, it was graphite but a multi line rod. Ray claimed it would work well with 5,6,7 as the line weights and he had a six on it. As I recall it worked fine and was a 9 foot rod with very dark burgundy shafts.

If I wanted one I'd be shopping for one of the old rods.