Maxcatch 5 Weight

karstopo

Reaction score
Ordered the 8’ 5 weight off Amazon for $76. I had a gift card to use so the rod really didn’t cost me anything.

From the feedback I’ve seen, these rods are faster than my CGRs. Some folks say the 5 weight is more like a 6.

I see this rod being a good LMB and catfish option or even a low wind light saltwater possibility.

I’m curious about a fiberglass option that’s a little faster than the CGRs. Maybe the Maxcatch will be nice.

karstopo

Reaction score
MaxCatch 5 weight came in yesterday. Got it out today and gave it a whirl. Definitely faster than 5/6 CGR. Different taper. Casts different. Took a minute to get the rhythm. I like the rod. Cast some cold weather stiff tropical SA bonefish 5 weight line and it felt pretty right. Kind of seems like a 6 weight rod and a bit beefier than the 5/6 CGR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

karstopo

Reaction score
How does it roll cast? Ok with a 5 or seem like it might want heavier?

Mark
Honestly, I need to see. All I have done with it is cast off one of three docks I have access to. I’m not allowed in the boat just yet and the nature of the tree canopy means I can side arm, roll or bow and arrow cast. I’ve really only done the side arm.

I hardly ever roll cast so I’m probably not a good one to ask about that.

An image of the MaxCatch 5 weight next to my CGR 7/8 weight, and an 8/9 weight G Loomis Short Stix. Crazy how big around that butt is on the MaxCatch 5 weight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blackstonefly

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
GREAT Looks like you have had some success with your new Rod... Glass rods are so much fun to fish... I was fooling around with a few of the less expensive glass rods last week and was surprisingly pleased with some of them. Some are a fraction of the cost of a High End Glass rod, and to the Novice fisherman work just fine. I am a firm believer that the Fly Line is the Key ingredient in having a nice casting combo. Different Lines and Different Strokes until you find the one that just feels and performs great for you.....Oh and you will know when you find it......Its like Holy S_ _ _T this is great.......lol

del gue

Reaction score
I have a few Maxcatch rods and they are a great value if you don't mind where they came from . I broke a 2wt once , totally my fault and they sent me another free of charge .
Agreed. I have a 1 wt, 3 wt, and the 5 wt. They get pretty decent reviews. The source doesn't thrill me, but for the price I'll tolerate the source. If we ever go to war with China, my sentiments may harden, but then I'd have to throw out half the stuff in my house, and watch Chinamart, er, Walmart, close down.