Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12

Default Steffen Bros. Fly Rod Question

I recently ordered a Steffen 8' 4/5 in a 3pc. I've heard nothing but good things about the casting ability of the rod. My question is: how strong are these new, light glass rods? For example, this summer I was fishing with my Fenwick FF75 and somehow hooked up with a 20+ inch fish which took me too long to land in the fairly fast current. I was definitely out-gunned and wasn't real proud of it. Thankfully the fish swam away pretty strong and hopefully didn't go belly up at a later time. My buddy watched the whole thing and he just kept saying, "man, that rod was bent all the way to the handle!!" And this confirms to me the legendary toughness of the old glass rods. So - are the new glass rods similar in this regard?

I have no intention of abusing this rod, but I'm just curious.

Mark

Default Re: Steffen Bros. Fly Rod Question

There are two types of glass. S glass which is structural glass, and E glass which is electrical glass. Structural glass is a faster glass and does not flex as much as E glass. In other words, S glass isn't as noodley.

Steffen rods are virtually invincible, among some others like Livingston, Scott, Fenwick and a few others that slip my mind right now.

You have nothing to worry about with a Steffen. They are at the top of the food chain along with Livingston when it comes to fiberglass rods that are made with S glass. You will be very happy with the strength of that rod, but remember, it's still softer than a graphite rod, so bringing in a 20+ fish in fast water is still going to be demanding, so turn the fish as soon as you can and get it into softer water if possible. It's hard enough to do with a graphite rod sometimes.

Steffen is a brand you can trust. These S glass rods will fight off a rabid grizzly and end up just fine. You on the other hand will not, but relax, the rod will be fine.

Fiberglass rods take a little different approach when it comes to landing fish I think. A lot like bamboo. But you have nothing to worry about. You just purchased one heck of a rod that will last a lifetime, and it'll bring in any fish you need it to within reason. I wouldn't fish tarpon with it.
    The only thing human kind ever learned through history, is that through history, human kind has learned nothing.

3. Default Re: Steffen Bros. Fly Rod Question

I had a 8’ 3/4 a few years back that I built. I regretfully sold it because the 3 piece configuration was a little cumbersome for backpacking. When I talked with Mark about the blank he said it was good for fish up to 16” (or around that length, can’t remember exactly). I had no problem handling fish up to that length, but had to put the screws down on a few fish, and the rod was quite bent. Quite durable. I am saving to buy another. There is a video of them trying to break one of the s glass superfines that is pretty amazing

4. Likes scotty macfly, mcnerney, mka liked this post

I can not agree with rod being problem. 3/4's are becoming popular for freshwater here in Florida. Glass rods for the flex. Rods on a whole are more capable of landing fish than people using them. Look at every part of situation you were in. As said slower water nearby. Or anything that may have helped if done differently. The more pressure put on a fish the harder it will fight. Sometimes less is better. Fish will often go right back to where they were if you let them.
    The reason they are becoming popular. Is that they are fun to use. Rods take surges so tippets don't.
    We all hear of how materials used for rods are always being improved. How this relates to durability might be questioned. Rod blanks are getting thiner walls all the time. S-glass was mentioned. This will break if careless. Jamed tip will break as fast as graphite. E-glass is more durable. I loved the s-glass rods I had. They were all just , 6" shorter than they started.

....... pc

Quote Originally Posted by markfrid View Post
    I recently ordered a Steffen 8' 4/5 in a 3pc. I've heard nothing but good things about the casting ability of the rod. My question is: how strong are these new, light glass rods? For example, this summer I was fishing with my Fenwick FF75 and somehow hooked up with a 20+ inch fish which took me too long to land in the fairly fast current. I was definitely out-gunned and wasn't real proud of it. Thankfully the fish swam away pretty strong and hopefully didn't go belly up at a later time. My buddy watched the whole thing and he just kept saying, "man, that rod was bent all the way to the handle!!" And this confirms to me the legendary toughness of the old glass rods. So - are the new glass rods similar in this regard?

Mark
    Hi Mark -

I have this rod in the 3 piece configuration, as well as two other Steffen Bros rods. Marks rods are some of the strongest fiberglass rods out there and are built out of S glass. Prior to popular belief S glass is not "faster" than E glass, but rather you can develop faster tapers with S glass then E glass. There are a several S glass rods on the market that are in fact quite slow.

As you probably know, most people prefer the higher of the dual line designations and find the rod true to weigh ie a 3/4 is a true 4, the 5/6 a true 6. The 4/5 doesn't follow the same pattern. You could (I do) fish a 5wt line on it, but realize it's a "light 5" and will generate less line speed then other 5wt 8ft glass rods.

7. Default Re: Steffen Bros. Fly Rod Question

Steffen's rods are very well designed, and as with any glass rods I have encountered - durable. I have 5 of Mark's rods in 2 and 3 piece configurations and 3/4, 4/5 and 5/6 weight. As mentioned, the 8 foot 4/5 is a moderate 5 weight, and would be a fine DT 4 or 41/2 wt rod as well. The 8 foot 3 inch 4/5' is to me more of a 4 or 41/2 wt.
    You're going to like that rod a great deal, and no need to worry about applying maximum pressure on a fish with it!

8. Likes fireroad liked this post
  9. Default Re: Steffen Bros. Fly Rod Question

Quote Originally Posted by markfrid View Post

Mark
    Assuming that you've had your Steffen Bros. rod for the past six months or so, how are you enjoying it? If I could only have one fly rod, without a doubt, the Steffen Brothers 8' 4/5 weight 3 piece rod with a DT5F is the one that I would have! I absolutely LOVE that fly rod! It will safely land a 20" fish, no problem.

10. Likes rsagebrush liked this post

I love the rod, but have used it mostly as a dry fly rod and fishing small indi rigs with 18-22 midges with the 4-wt line. It does very well with the 5-wt, too, though. I haven't caught any big fish with it, but by all accounts, it should do fine. I have to say it's the best-casting glass rod I've ever tried. But that's comparing it to vintage glass, so its a more modern design, more progressive. Definitely a point and shoot rod for me - no casting thoughts required - just pick a target and it seems to put it there.

Mark