It's a darn gateway drug...

desmobob

Reaction score
Just received the Eagle Claw Featherlight 6'6" 3/4. I'm now looking for a way to fit an Orvis Superfine 7'6" 4wt into the budget...

Tight lines,
Bob

mikechell

Reaction score
"It's a darn gateway drug..."
Ain't that the truth. But it's the same for any fishing method.
People try it ... and if they like it or they catch fish ... it's the best thing since sliced bread.
If they don't like it or catch fish ... "Maybe I need to practice with it more?"

Either way ... there's always a reason for wanting "more"!

desmobob

Reaction score
I haven't had it on the water yet but, from my casting in the yard, it seems I'll prefer a 4wt line with the rod. I have a 4wt line on the way. I tried a 3wt (older Orvis Superline WF3F) and a 5wt (Rio Trout LT WF5F) and find I start to lose some of my ability to control the loop size with the 5wt. Casting the 3wt feels much more precise and I'm hoping the 4wt is just right for me.

It felt like a bit of sacrilege to mount up my old UK-made CFO 1-2-3 reel on that $25 rod so I ordered a cheap Martin for it. :)

I can hardly wait to hit the small stream trout and the panfish with this rod. Seems like it's going to be a lot of fun; especially for the price!

Tight lines,
Bob

del gue

Reaction score
Fiberglass fly rods are absolutely addictive. But if I have to have an addiction, that's the one I wanna have!

kentuckysteve

Reaction score
I have a couple of the vintage Wright Mcgill glass rods.Great rods and i love fishing with them.I have the old pflueger medalist reels on them both.
2 of my favorite rods.

el jefe

Reaction score
Just received the Eagle Claw Featherlight 6'6" 3/4. I'm now looking for a way to fit an Orvis Superfine 7'6" 4wt into the budget...

Tight lines,
Bob
Tell me about it. I have an Epic kit inbound right now. That'll make the wife happy...:icon_roll

scottmd10

Reaction score
a CGR 4/5 was my gateway to glass. Now I own a Superfine 7'6" 4 weight and it is easily my favorite rod for the majority of my fishing. My clearwater 4 weight just happened to break at the right time and I made the upgrade to the superfine

troutbum_74

Reaction score
While I still mainly fish graphite, I do have some nice fiberglass rods. I own and use the Scott F2 703, Orvis Superfine Glass 805 and 764 and hopefully next week my C. Barclay Synthesis Series 68 will be here!! Fun rods for warmer days in the summer.

huntschool

Reaction score
Just an opinion but, every one needs to have a 7’ 4 wt. (or something close) good glass rod in their quiver regardless of whatever else you fish.

They are just too much fun.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Just an opinion but, every one needs to have a 7’ 4 wt. (or something close) good glass rod in their quiver regardless of whatever else you fish.

They are just too much fun.
If you could find one, ("fat chance,") a 14'ish foot glass spey rod. Have lots of 2 handers, this one is very different in the feel of the cast. I think it's a 9-10, but that's just a guess.

desmobob

Reaction score
Good grief... I haven't even fished the Eagle Claw yet; just did some casting in the back yard, and now, I just ordered an Orvis Superfine 7'6" 4wt. I just finished doing my taxes and figured I could put it in the budget. I'm just fooling myself, but what the heck. :)

I sprung for the outfit with the Battenkill reel and the Orvis Hydros "Superfine" line that's supposed to be tailored to this rod series' actions. I'm not really that keen on the Battenkill reel, but I have a nice older CFO II that will go nicely on the rod and I can use the reel on a "less prestigious" rod at some point.

Incidentally, Orvis is sold out of the 7'6" 4wt Superfine and said they would be back in stock in about two weeks. I ordered mine from an Amazon seller who had them in stock and, besides not having to wait, I saved the $40 in sales tax Orvis would have charged me.

Tight lines,
Bob

PS-- WOO HOO!

huronfly

Reaction score
I have a 6'9" 3 weight and 12'9" 7 weight glass, and they are the most fun to cast and fish of my 13 rod quiver. Embrace your new found addiction, it sure is fun!

del gue

Reaction score
Good grief... I haven't even fished the Eagle Claw yet; just did some casting in the back yard, and now, I just ordered an Orvis Superfine 7'6" 4wt. I just finished doing my taxes and figured I could put it in the budget. I'm just fooling myself, but what the heck. :)

I sprung for the outfit with the Battenkill reel and the Orvis Hydros "Superfine" line that's supposed to be tailored to this rod series' actions. I'm not really that keen on the Battenkill reel, but I have a nice older CFO II that will go nicely on the rod and I can use the reel on a "less prestigious" rod at some point.

Incidentally, Orvis is sold out of the 7'6" 4wt Superfine and said they would be back in stock in about two weeks. I ordered mine from an Amazon seller who had them in stock and, besides not having to wait, I saved the $40 in sales tax Orvis would have charged me.

Tight lines,
Bob

PS-- WOO HOO!
Laffin! And that's what it's all about!!! One leads to another which leads to another, and it goes on and on.

And yeah, check out fiberglass flyrodders for like-minded souls.

skcwolfgang

Reaction score
I agree with huntschool on the 7’ 4wt glass advice. I recently built a Barclay 70p. It is a wonderful casting rod.He sold a limited number of blanks a few months ago, and I was lucky enough to get one. Troutbum_74 please post a review when your Barclay synthesis arrives. The combination of progressive and parabolic is intriguing.

desmobob

Reaction score
Thinking about picking up an Eagle Claw Glass, it was my first. There is something about THE FIRST.
At the selling price, it's well worth picking one up, even on a whim or for pure nostalgia!

I'll add that it seems most folks seem to prefer a 5wt or ~140gr head weight line on the Featherlight 7'6" 3/4. I tried mine with a 3wt and it felt under-lined. I then put on a RIO 4wt that actually weighs in as a 5wt by AFTMA standards. I finally tried a standard 4wt and it makes the rod seem surprisingly fast while still able to do close work. More time on the water will give me a better understanding, but I'm thinking I prefer the true 4wt at this point.

Tight lines,
Bob