Vintage Garcia Conolon Rod info

cody coyote

Reaction score
I recently "found" an old Garcia Conolon glass rod that I didn't remember I had. It's a 2040T four piece fly rod in a leather case. In addition to the model number it's marked 8' DRY FLY ACTION USE: D-HDH-HCF. The rod is in mint condition. It was never fished, and I don't even think it has ever been assembled. It was given to my father in 1962 but he never used it. I inherited it from him over a decade ago and just tucked it away and forgot about it.

Now that I found it again I plan to donate it to my local TU chapter for our annual banquet auction. What I'd like to know is an approximate value of the rod. Is it worth just pocket change or would it have some real value for them?

kentuckysteve

Reaction score
It is a 7 wt rod.
177-193gr line.
HCH is a 6/7 wt double taper line.
HCF is a 7wt Weight Forward line.
D is a 6wt Level Line.

Here is a link with some info on Garcia Conlon rods.
fiberglass fly rods / Garcia Conolon

This rod is the Deluxe T model and its the first pack rod produced by Garcia Conlon.It was produced around 1961-1963.
Since it is in good condition and a rare first edition Pack Rod it may do very well in an auction.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
That's a high end rod that pre-dates the much more collectable Ritz and Wulff models.
Before the resurgence of glass that rod would have had a decent value, but in today's market..... not so much I think.
More than pocket change, but not big bucks either.
The leather case is likely worth more than the rod