First timer

sgp

Reaction score
Hello,

Yesterday while at my local fly shop I had the opportunity to cast my first fibreglass rod, a Hardy Sirrus 703. To say I was pleasantly surprised would be an understatement. Light in hand, responsive and aesthetically pleasing I'm now thinking I need to get myself one.

Given I know very little about whats out there, I'm turning to others more qualified than me for guidance. With a budget of $500 what are options I should consider.

Simon

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Given I know very little about whats out there, I'm turning to others more qualified than me for guidance. With a budget of $500 what are options I should consider.
I own somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 fiberglass fly rods.
The most that I ever paid for one is $35

scotty macfly

Reaction score
The new Fenwicks are becoming a fan favorite.

Orvis Superfine Glass
TFO
Blue Halo
Echo
Steffen Bros. For $500 this would be my pick.

There are just too many to name. Also, you may want to try C. Barclay & Chris Lantzy. Both are great private rod builders.

karstopo

Reaction score
People seem to rave about the C. Barclay Rods on another forum. Scott makes a glass rod, too.

I do like my glass rods, but don’t have any experience with the pricier ones.

skunkedalot

Reaction score
riptide has a point. while i am positive that the new glass rods are worth the asking price.
you can find the classic fenwicks available on line or through ebay for a lot less cash.
the classic fenwicks are just wonderful rods.
also- the reddington buttersticks are being replaced and the current(older) version will be going on sale for excellent price ranges.
also considier the rod maker who goes by cane and silk. i know several people who own his rods- they love them and the price for a handmade rod is exceptional. he has a great website.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I have a Steffen 8 ft 5/6 wt that my friend Rod (aka rodneybo) gave me that I love to fish and I purchased a C. Barclay 7 ft 3 wt for small stream fishing, but haven't tried it out yet.

markfrid

Reaction score
Hey Rip,
Just curious, what are some of your favorites in your collection?

Thanks,
steve
Steve - I'm not Mr. Rip, nor is my glass collection as impressive - but one of my all time favorite fly rods (of any material) is the Fenwick FF75. 7 1/2' is such a sweet spot for the vintage glass and this one is timeless. I use it as much as any rod I own.

I especially like it on the upper part of the Current where the casts are generally short to medium and the pockets can be small. It's a dart-thrower with a dry and excels at accurate roll casts with a nymph rig.

Mark

spm

Reaction score
Steve - I'm not Mr. Rip, nor is my glass collection as impressive - but one of my all time favorite fly rods (of any material) is the Fenwick FF75. 7 1/2' is such a sweet spot for the vintage glass and this one is timeless. I use it as much as any rod I own.

I especially like it on the upper part of the Current where the casts are generally short to medium and the pockets can be small. It's a dart-thrower with a dry and excels at accurate roll casts with a nymph rig.

Mark
Hey Mark,
I know about the upper Current river and those small pockets. I also have a 7'6" 3wt glass that I use there.

Thanks,
steve

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
With a budget of $500 what are options I should consider.
As others have suggested above, there are lots of glass options these days--vintage, new production rods from large companies and new rods from boutique makers, both from blanks they developed personally or that they purchase from others. For a budget of $500, just about every option should be open to you, except for new rods from some of the top boutique/small builders.

I think you'll get better suggestions if you could provide some more details about what you're looking for. Specifically, do you think you want a slow/full flexing rod or something faster closer to slower or moderate graphite? What species will you be targeting? What weights would you consider? Do you want or need a shorter rod?

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Hey Rip,
Just curious, what are some of your favorites in your collection?
The Phillipsons are easily the best.
Phillipson Royal Wands are all 6wts but you'd never even know you were fishing a "heavy weight" line.
My Fenwick FF79, (8', 5/6wt) is my every day 'go-to' rod and gets more use than any other rod that I own.
Good for roll casting in cover. Dries, wet, streamers... all purpose.
A 1967 Wright &McGill 6'6" Featherlight is my main small stream. It's similar to the modern EagleClaw version of the same rod... except it casts much better.
My first 'good" trout rod was a Lamiglas 7'6" 4wt that my father built for me in 1972. Good dry fly rod but ..v..e..r..y.. , v..e..r..y.. slow. Slower than most folks could handle
Orvis Golden Eagle 9'8wt. Casts like a rocket launcher ;)

There's a few others. Fenwicks (I have 5), Berkley Parametritcs. Cortland (St Croix), LLBean (H-I), Garcia's. But every Phillipson and most Fenwicks are worth looking at
(take a look the Orvis that Ard is selling. Out of my price range but still worth the asking price... almost ;))

Edit
If I were going to collect one brand, it would be the Berkleys. They're 'sleepers' cuz they're so ugly
I have more bad Garcias (Conolons) than good, but you never know. There's one that I fish often.
The Shakespeare Wonderods are the same way. There's lots of 'em. Some good, many not so good

Phillipson made private label rods for shops large and small.
Orvis, LLBean, Abercrombie & Fitch and locally for example, Clapp&Treat.
They have distinctive ferrules and grips. You just gotta know,

IMGP0002.jpg

Last edited:

skunkedalot

Reaction score
if you can find it- the fenwick 7 1/2 or 8 footer for a 6 line is the perfect glass all rounder
i fish mine with a 7 weight line(just my preference) . you will love this rod.
thousands were made and can be found for a reasonable price.
fibreglass flyrodder website is a place to look.

locollama

Reaction score
My Graywolf built Injuin Yomogi 7' 3wt has been a revelation for me and taken my small stream fishing to a whole new level. Out of the 20 or so rods that I own it's one that I take with me anytime it's even remotely feasable to use it. But like others have said, there are so many truly great options it's really hard to go wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kentuckysteve

Reaction score
I have a couple of the old Wright & McGill rods,a couple Wonderods,An old Heddon glass rod and a new Cabelas CGR rod and like Rip Tide i have under $35 in each one.I love fishing all of them.Fishing with fiberglass is just a fun day. I have not fished with any of the expensive glass rods but would love too.

proheli

Reaction score
I’ve got the Hardy Sirrus Sintrix 3/4. I really like it. I also recently had a guide cast it, because I was trying out 3wt lines, and he was very impressed, saying it was the perfect RMNP rod. Also, I was talking to a shop owner just two days ago, and he can have any rod he wants, he said the Sintrix 4/5 with 4wt Rio Gold is actually his go to stick here in the 11 mile/Dream Stream region. He also feels it is a remarkably under rated rod.

I know there are boutique builders with great reputations for wonderful tapers, and I’m planning on getting Larry Kinney 8’ 3wt, but the glass Hardy’s are really nice.

chief17

Reaction score
I second the Epic build if you're up for it. I really enjoy my 686. I'm really impressed by it.

gfiad

Reaction score
Hello,

Yesterday while at my local fly shop I had the opportunity to cast my first fibreglass rod, a Hardy Sirrus 703. To say I was pleasantly surprised would be an understatement. Light in hand, responsive and aesthetically pleasing I'm now thinking I need to get myself one.

Simon
Simon, go on eBay and look up the Hardy Sirrus there. I just bought mine new from a fly shop in the U.K. for $100 off and with free shipping to the US. I paid for it Thursday and it arrived on Saturday via DHL. I bought the 7’ 3/4wt. I really wanted an Orvis superfine Glass but with a savings of $125 it was too good to pass up.

proheli

Reaction score
Simon, go on eBay and look up the Hardy Sirrus there. I just bought mine new from a fly shop in the U.K. for $100 off and with free shipping to the US. I paid for it Thursday and it arrived on Saturday via DHL. I bought the 7’ 3/4wt. I really wanted an Orvis superfine Glass but with a savings of $125 it was too good to pass up.
I had a true-weight 4wt on mine until recently. I tried a 3wt Rio Gold and really liked it, and the put on a 3wt SA MPX, it’s .5heavy, and it really makes the rod nice. Personally I think it’s easy to overline the 3/4,and overwhelm it. Anyway I got the SA 3wt MPX, it’s 110grains, and I really like it.