Thomas and Thomas Lotic line recommendation

Matt4.0

Reaction score
Been looking at glass rods for a bit now, and came across a deal I couldn't pass up on a Thomas & Thomas Lotic. It's the 7'4" 4 wt.

Being a newer model, feedback is limited from what I can find. Anybody here have one? If so, any line recommendations? I'll get the rod in a few days, figure I'll give it a shot with my Gold WF-4wt to start but plan on getting a dedicated reel and line for it. Maybe a DT? This is my first glass rod so I'm open to any suggestions. My intended use is smaller streams and stillwater in the high country.

el jefe

Reaction score
That's a lust-worthy rod you've picked up, there.

I had the Heirloom 763, and used on old Sage Quiet Double Taper II on it. I think Rio's equivalent line is the Trout LT DT. If the Lotic is anything like the Heirloom, that might work out nicely. I have not had good luck with the Rio lines floating for very long--though I have a Trout LT DT2F that works fine--so I have also used on lightweight slower action rods a SA Mastery Trout and an Airflo Elite DT. Those might also be good choices, and I prefer them over the current Rio offerings.

Post a pic of that Lotic!!

Matt4.0

Reaction score
That's a lust-worthy rod you've picked up, there.

I had the Heirloom 763, and used on old Sage Quiet Double Taper II on it. I think Rio's equivalent line is the Trout LT DT. If the Lotic is anything like the Heirloom, that might work out nicely. I have not had good luck with the Rio lines floating for very long--though I have a Trout LT DT2F that works fine--so I have also used on lightweight slower action rods a SA Mastery Trout and an Airflo Elite DT. Those might also be good choices, and I prefer them over the current Rio offerings.

Post a pic of that Lotic!!
My experience with Rio seems to get worse every year, so I’m thinking of trying a SA or airflow line for this one and probably others moving forward.

Here are a couple pics from the seller, I’ll try to get some up close ones when I pick it up:

And...hate to be a bad influence, but this seller has the same rod in a 5wt for a similar smoking deal. PM me if you’d like info.

Matt4.0

Reaction score
On a side note; I really don't care for the new(ish) T&T moto: "The rod you will eventually own". Just something about it has always made me cringe a bit when I see it on various ads in the fly fishing world. It's a little clunky imo, doesn't "roll off the tongue", and I'm not sure what it does for people who already own one?

scotty macfly

Reaction score
On a side note; I really don't care for the new(ish) T&T moto: "The rod you will eventually own". Just something about it has always made me cringe a bit when I see it on various ads in the fly fishing world. It's a little clunky imo, doesn't "roll off the tongue", and I'm not sure what it does for people who already own one?
I never thought much on their motto. I thought it was a cute little saying........then I bought one. Ahhh, now I understand completely. They are in a word awesome, but that's just my opinion.

For the opening post:

Cortland Classic Peach DT.
SA Ultra Heritage DT
Airflo Elite DT.

Either one of these lines will do you well, because they are designed for softer rods.

Last edited:

el jefe

Reaction score
My experience with Rio seems to get worse every year, so I’m thinking of trying a SA or airflow line for this one and probably others moving forward.

Here are a couple pics from the seller, I’ll try to get some up close ones when I pick it up:

And...hate to be a bad influence, but this seller has the same rod in a 5wt for a similar smoking deal. PM me if you’d like info.
You're going to get me in trouble!! I told my wife when I got my Meridan recently that I was done buying rods, and now this.

Seriously, I just finished building an Epic 476 Fastglass II, which can actually cast a 5-weight fly line pretty well, as long as it's not an aggressive taper like a GPX. I have cast 2-weight through 6-weight lines on it; it's sweet spot is a 4-weight line, but it easily goes +/- one line weight so smoothly you'll think the rod was designed for that line. That's one of the great things about glass, the rod loads itself and does not depend as much on the weight of the line to do so. The rod does more of the work.

Two things to point out re: the Airflo Elite DT. First, the taper is actually slightly different on each end. One end is geared more toward dry fly presentation, and the other end is geared more toward tossing heavier flies and fishing in wind.

Second, I have had my leader cut the coating on my fly line loop. That is not the only manufacturer with which I have had that happen, but just wanted to disclose fully. It was a hand-tied leader with a thinner diameter butt section than your typical off-the-shelf extruded leader, and that may be why it cut. In any case, I started using the braided double-loops that Ard makes on that line and all lines, and that problem is eliminated, while still leaving you the convenience of a loop. Ard's double-loops do a great job of protecting the fly line loop. I did fix that cut with some Loon UV Knot Sense, and have had no issues since. I use the Elite WF6F on my Radian, and have no problems with the loop being cut, even before using Ard's loops.

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
For the opening post:

Cortland Classic Peach DT.
SA Ultra Heritage DT
Airflo Elite DT.
I'd add the 406 fly lines to the above list. I have several and have been pleased with them. They are designed for glass/bamboo/slower action rods. I believe they're made for 406 by SA so good quality.

sab_0010

Reaction score
I have not cast this rod so I cannot give you a line recommendation, but I will say that is a great-looking rod.

Matt4.0

Reaction score
Thanks for the input all. Ordered a Battenkill and Airflo DT to complete the combo (found a shop giving a $40 credit towards line with the reel purchase ). I’ll be sure and post a review once I get everything in hand.

Matt4.0

Reaction score
Just an update now that I've had a chance to fish this rod a few times....suffice to say I'm "hooked". (sorry, couldn't resist) Loads well at short distances with the Airflo DT, but after a little practice with the timing I can also throw dry 30-40' with accuracy and a much softer presentation than my other 4wt. Love the rod.

I did make one mistake....let my wife try it out....guess who also wants a glass rod now. This is one she caught on it during our recent trip to Yellowstone:
erika.jpg

mka

Reaction score
Nice fish! Glass is fun...and has been gaining popularity for a few years now.

indy

Reaction score
How did the line testing work out? I have the Lotic in the 5 weight and have been fishing it with a WF5F GPX taper and find it works well, and I am really curious how the 4 weight carries a line. Good fishing!

Matt4.0

Reaction score
How did the line testing work out? I have the Lotic in the 5 weight and have been fishing it with a WF5F GPX taper and find it works well, and I am really curious how the 4 weight carries a line. Good fishing!
I don’t have much to compare it to, but the Airflo DT seems to work well on it. Might put my Rio gold 4wt on it one day for the heck of it and see how much of a difference there is.

indy

Reaction score
I don’t have much to compare it to, but the Airflo DT seems to work well on it. Might put my Rio gold 4wt on it one day for the heck of it and see how much of a difference there is.
I'm a bit slow in responding, but I'll go ahead: I wasn't sure what would load the rod well without overloading it. I fish warm water most often, and generally within 30 feet or so of my target, so I'm casting wooly buggers and small streamers and poppers most often. I tried a trout taper (Scientific Anglers Trout Taper) and it worked fine, but didn't give me the feel I was expecting from glass, so tried a GPX taper in both 5 weight and 6 weight. The 6 weight slowed the rod down quite a bit, and was very smooth, but casting at distance wasn't as pleasant. The 5 weight still loaded in close nicely, and cast longer distances without feeling as slow and heavy. These tapers also toss the flies I'm using much better than the trout tapers. I did try a Cortland Classic Peach in a 6 weight and it felt very good! I stuck with the GPX 5 weight as a good overall line for the rod.

I remain very impressed with the Lotic. It does feel like glass, but the recovery speed is fastest enough give a pleasant fishing experience. I'd fished some slower glass in the past and couldn't quite get the hand of slow e-glass quite as well as I could with the Lotic.