Swift epic 480-4

The op

Reaction score
I got this 8 ft 4 weight around 5 years ago.
I recieved it in kit form and built it myself.I hadnt built a rod for probably 15 years or so.
It arived on a thursday and i fished it 2 days later on a maylfy hatch. I screwed on my ross lt no2 and strung it up with a 5 weight sa sharkwave trout taper,12 ft leader to 5x tippet with a size 16 nondescript emerger pattern that i tied which i later found to be a variation of a fly called a plume tip.
In that 2hr session i caught 4 beatiful browns,1 was a buck of 8 pounds the battle with this fish was a blur of high jumps,powerful runs,close calls with weedbeds and structure, the feeling of the fishes headshakes flexing the rod deep through the cork,landing the fish by a well time tail grab because it was too big for my net,and then releasing it,,,but the 35 ft candycane like smooth loop,delicate landing and slowmotion vision of that big head and hookjaw slowly rising and engulfing the fly like an alligator followed by its shoulders and back porposing back down like a dolphin as i stood there statue like before lifting to set,will always be burnt into my retinas.

I love this rod.

I now use it mainly on small streams and rivers where a 1 pound fish is just as fun as and 8 pound fish,,with a ross colorarado lt,4 weight sa amplitude trout taper.
The rod works beautifully with a 3,4 or 5 weight smooth true weight taper.

While the 4 weight amplitude trout is close to the perfect match(for me?) or the 480,i know that its not.

I have a feeling that a silk line will give me the magic but not sure whether to get a 3,4 or 5 double taper.

Does anyone have experience with this epic 480?
Tried silk?
Or have you found a line that you 100% happy with?

Mainly talking small stream/river,but all scenarios would be appreciated.

Thankyou.

ddb

Reaction score
I just had one built by Vladan Milenkovic in the Boston area. It is a stunner in his classic "Antiquary" line. I can only hope its christening on the water this spring will be half the experience you had.

I chose this blank due to its rep as a roll casting machine.

Congrats on your project.

ddb

el jefe

Reaction score
I have the 476 4-piece version, and what a &$&*#^$ blast that rod is!! I use a SA Mastery Trout on it. Works great. I don't think the 476 is the roll caster that the 480 is, but it is a roll caster superior to graphite for short game situations.

The op

Reaction score
ddb

The 480 is a special rod.

Once you get to know it,learn its rythm,i bet you will have a hard time putting iit back down.

What i can say is slow down your stroke,,,like effortlessly slow,

As for rollcasting and singlehand spey,,yes this is the one,no need to overline or use obese clunky heads.stck with a true to weight smooth taper.

Slow and smooth are how this one likes it.....

This is a good one for the 480 if you need to get it out there 60 plus feet

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...BMAB6BAgJEAU&usg=AOvVaw1xdPdS3hKv_ouV7fnO4hLE

The op

Reaction score
El jefe

I soon to will be wielding the 476 as the alter ego of the 480.

They will be named jeckyl & hyde.

Do you have the old model or the new fastglass 2?

The rollcast and more often shs style snapt,perrypoke-tongerario roll cast and many improvized diy syle waterloaded casts,for me come into play not so much for the short game but due to obstcles around me,eg no backcast room,branches,cliffs,grass etc.

My longest casts with the 480 were made with a rio lt 4 weight. tongerario vloop style,70+ feet.

el jefe

Reaction score
El jefe

I soon to will be wielding the 476 as the alter ego of the 480.

They will be named jeckyl & hyde.

Do you have the old model or the new fastglass 2?

The rollcast and more often shs style snapt,perrypoke-tongerario roll cast and many improvized diy syle waterloaded casts,for me come into play not so much for the short game but due to obstcles around me,eg no backcast room,branches,cliffs,grass etc.

My longest casts with the 480 were made with a rio lt 4 weight. tongerario vloop style,70+ feet.
It's the Fastglass 2. Salsa color, Snake Brand guides, Fuji stripper, clear wraps. Gorgeous rod.

The op

Reaction score
It's the Fastglass 2. Salsa color, Snake Brand guides, Fuji stripper, clear wraps. Gorgeous rod.

Nice el jefe.

Ive cast the old model 476 with a 5 weight sa mastery trout and it was good.

But i know it wanted a 4.

Have you cast the old model.?

If so,did you notice any difference?

el jefe

Reaction score
Nice el jefe.

Ive cast the old model 476 with a 5 weight sa mastery trout and it was good.

But i know it wanted a 4.

Have you cast the old model.?

If so,did you notice any difference?
I cast the old 480 (the 4-piece), but not the old 476. The old 480-4 had a sweet action to it, slow and enjoyable. I could see where it would be a champion roll caster. The 476 Fastglass 2, by contrast, is more powerful, but still a sweet glass rod.

The op

Reaction score
I cast the old 480 (the 4-piece), but not the old 476. The old 480-4 had a sweet action to it, slow and enjoyable. I could see where it would be a champion roll caster. The 476 Fastglass 2, by contrast, is more powerful, but still a sweet glass rod.
Yes the 476 and 480 are a completely different animal arent they.

The 476 is a unique thing,i ordered one in kit form in olive.
For what i want them forim sure with both 480 and 476 that i will have all my 4 weight smallwater bases covered.

And then theres the 7 ft 3 weight....damn

el jefe

Reaction score
Yes the 476 and 480 are a completely different animal arent they.

The 476 is a unique thing,i ordered one in kit form in olive.
For what i want them forim sure with both 480 and 476 that i will have all my 4 weight smallwater bases covered.

And then theres the 7 ft 3 weight....damn
My next project may be that 7' 3-weight. I want to find out if it is closer to the 476 or 480 in its action, first.

The op

Reaction score
My next project may be that 7' 3-weight. I want to find out if it is closer to the 476 or 480 in its action, first.
I emailed them over at swift regarding overall comparison of the 370 to the 376 which the former replaced.
Response i got back was 'the 370 is a much nicer blank'

I will email back to ask for a bit more detail.

eure

Reaction score
I emailed them over at swift regarding overall comparison of the 370 to the 376 which the former replaced.
Response i got back was 'the 370 is a much nicer blank'

I will email back to ask for a bit more detail.
I like Swift but do find them a little vague

woolyworm

Reaction score
I just built a 476 and look forward to getting it out on the water. Played with it a bit on the lawn and it feels like a fun little rod. I had an older DT 4 wt line and ross reel that I will fish with it. I will probably replace the line once I find a nice DT on sale.

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with this epic 480?
Tried silk?
Or have you found a line that you 100% happy with?
I used to have one of the original 3-piece 480s. My recollection is that I liked it best with a SA Mastery Trout DT4 (since renamed the Double Taper 4 wt). However, though I don't think I tried one on that rod (they may not have been made at that time or if they were I had not yet tried one), but given the action of the 480 I would think that a 406 DT4 (or a WF4) would work well on your rod.

ptdowling

Reaction score
Just got a 476 in the mail today. Made a handful of casts on the lawn during lunch. Used my 5wt line, 4wt on the way, 9ft leader, a size 14 yellow sally, and I was amazed at how effortless tight loops and accurate casts seemed to be. Can't wait for the water to go down here in WNC so I can try it in the water.

smokepoles

Reaction score
I didn't see a 480 available in a recent visit to Swift website, only the 476. So, discontinued in the new 'snake glass' line, or just a model to come?

The op

Reaction score
I used to have one of the original 3-piece 480s. My recollection is that I liked it best with a SA Mastery Trout DT4 (since renamed the Double Taper 4 wt). However, though I don't think I tried one on that rod (they may not have been made at that time or if they were I had not yet tried one), but given the action of the 480 I would think that a 406 DT4 (or a WF4) would work well on your rod.
Used to have a epic 480? I hope i never say those words,did you sell or lose it?

I reasearched 406 lines they sound ideal,im borrowing a silk line from a friend to try,,if i like it i will buy one but id like to have a backup line,i will try 406,,thanks

The op

Reaction score
It would seem their new progression is 370, 476, 580, 686, in the trout weights.
I spoke to them about this and plain told them they need to make the 480

They said they may be produce them in future,,id buy one straight away.

Fingers crossed