Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  18
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: Casting glass vs casting graphite

I built 2 Blue Halos 3wt 7'6" and 5wt 8' Blue Halo and recently back to fishing single hand rods again. I picked up the 5wt Halo to help me get the basic back again. Fiberglass rods are very enjoyable to cast and they look prettier too.

My other builds were the Epic 686, 888 and James Green 5wt 8FT. They have different characters and temperament than the Halos but just as nice. I think my fave out of those 5 would be the Epic 686 and followed by Green 5wt and halo 5wt.
    I don't always catch fish; but when I do I scream like a little girl.

2. Likes The op liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by The op View Post
    Glass,,,dont force it,ask it what to do nicely and it will behave itself in a controlled manner.

Graphite,,, scream at it what you want it to do in the right manner it will do so without complaint,,often times asking you 'cmon is that all you got?
    That is a pretty accurate description.

Quote Originally Posted by The op View Post
    What size flies are you throwing with it?
    It occurs to me that rather than me telling you what flies I am throwing with it, I should be asking you what flies I should be throwing with it.
    Last edited by mjkirshner; 06-19-2019 at 10:28 PM.
    People complain about the humidity in Florida... but no one's ever had to shovel humidity to get to his car.

Quote Originally Posted by mjkirshner View Post
    It occurs to me that rather than me telling you what flies I am throwing with it, I should be asking you what flies I should be throwing with it.
    Ive yet to hear back from a friend who owns the same blue halo as you.
    But an educated guess would be that hes not using an overly agressive taper,more likely a 'true to weight' gentler taper that fiberglass likes.

Myself,id look into a bonefish taper in a 6,possibly 5,for smaller flies in the salt.
    And my first choice would be sa ampltude bonefish.

For your big fiies learn the opst camando.

I can picture siting on a cooler on a sup, throwing perrypokes,single speys and snake rolls with some oversized deerhair creations.

Flies you should be throwing should be whatever flies that your target species will eat.
    Last edited by The op; 06-21-2019 at 03:56 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234