question about a rod

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
I bought one of those (maybe not the exact same model) in the 60s and used it for both fly fishing and spinning in rivers and lakes in central Pa.

It was probably a better spinning rod than fly rod just because of the bigger guides to accommodate that kind of line flow. but it actually fished fairly well with fly line. And mine was one of my first rods with the famed Fenwick ferrule.

I am sure it would still be fishable. My only reservation would be that other pure fly rods in 7’ length usually balance with a 5 wt. line which I prefer..

Good luck,

Don

brownbass

Reaction score
I bought one of those (maybe not the exact same model) in the 60s and used it for both fly fishing and spinning in rivers and lakes in central Pa.

It was probably a better spinning rod than fly rod just because of the bigger guides to accommodate that kind of line flow. but it actually fished fairly well with fly line. And mine was one of my first rods with the famed Fenwick ferrule.

I am sure it would still be fishable. My only reservation would be that other pure fly rods in 7’ length usually balance with a 5 wt. line which I prefer..

Good luck,

Don
I remember reading somewhere that spinning rods and fly rods have the same blanks. Has anyone else read similar statements? Or know anything about this? I am speaking of the older spinning rod blanks.

Bill

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I remember reading somewhere that spinning rods and fly rods have the same blanks. Has anyone else read similar statements? Or know anything about this? I am speaking of the older spinning rod blanks.

Bill
I have a 7' 6wt Phillipson spin/fly that's probably the smoothest casting rod that I own
I'd use it more often if the grip wasn't so thin,

And on another forum maybe 10-12 years ago a whole group of folks built fly rods from the same inexpensive spinning rod blanks
They were short ultra-lites, but the reports were all good

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score

Bill
Funny you say that Bill, because I was in Sportsman's Wearhouse yesterday and found myself looking at some kind of surf rods that looked to be about 12 feet long. I was thinking they would probably make good spey casters under 200 bucks too...…...

brownbass

Reaction score
Funny you say that Bill, because I was in Sportsman's Wearhouse yesterday and found myself looking at some kind of surf rods that looked to be about 12 feet long. I was thinking they would probably make good spey casters under 200 bucks too...…...
I have been racking my brain trying to remember where I read the blanks were the same but have drawn a blank. Maybe someone with a better memory than mine will know.

Bill

Razorhead56

Reaction score
How do you change this rod from spin to fly and vice versa?
I've tried to pull this thing apart to switch it but methinks its stuck. Maybe not? I'm not familiar with this rod.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I don't have one and I can't find a good picture

It's the whole cork grip/reel seat combination that's reversible.
The rod blank should plug into a pocket/receptacle on either end