Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default question about a rod

Found a rod up for trade. I'm looking for some information albeit it will be limited due to the picturels I have.
    Thanks for what help I get from y'all.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Revelation 3:20
    Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    If practice makes perfect but no one is perfect then why practice?

Default Re: question about a rod

The other day I noticed a similar rod offered by a used rod retailer.
    Model SF74-4" 7' 4PC FLY SPIN, $125

The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

3. Likes Ard liked this post

I bought one of those (maybe not the exact same model) in the 60s and used it for both fly fishing and spinning in rivers and lakes in central Pa.

It was probably a better spinning rod than fly rod just because of the bigger guides to accommodate that kind of line flow. but it actually fished fairly well with fly line. And mine was one of my first rods with the famed Fenwick ferrule.

I am sure it would still be fishable. My only reservation would be that other pure fly rods in 7’ length usually balance with a 5 wt. line which I prefer..

Good luck,

Don

5. Likes Ard liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sparsegraystubble View Post
    I bought one of those (maybe not the exact same model) in the 60s and used it for both fly fishing and spinning in rivers and lakes in central Pa.

It was probably a better spinning rod than fly rod just because of the bigger guides to accommodate that kind of line flow. but it actually fished fairly well with fly line. And mine was one of my first rods with the famed Fenwick ferrule.

I am sure it would still be fishable. My only reservation would be that other pure fly rods in 7’ length usually balance with a 5 wt. line which I prefer..

Good luck,

Don
    I remember reading somewhere that spinning rods and fly rods have the same blanks. Has anyone else read similar statements? Or know anything about this? I am speaking of the older spinning rod blanks.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by brownbass View Post
    I remember reading somewhere that spinning rods and fly rods have the same blanks. Has anyone else read similar statements? Or know anything about this? I am speaking of the older spinning rod blanks.

Bill
    I have a 7' 6wt Phillipson spin/fly that's probably the smoothest casting rod that I own
    I'd use it more often if the grip wasn't so thin,

And on another forum maybe 10-12 years ago a whole group of folks built fly rods from the same inexpensive spinning rod blanks
    They were short ultra-lites, but the reports were all good
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

8. Likes brownbass, Ard liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brownbass View Post

Bill
    Funny you say that Bill, because I was in Sportsman's Wearhouse yesterday and found myself looking at some kind of surf rods that looked to be about 12 feet long. I was thinking they would probably make good spey casters under 200 bucks too...…...

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

10. Likes trout trekker, brownbass liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ard View Post
    Funny you say that Bill, because I was in Sportsman's Wearhouse yesterday and found myself looking at some kind of surf rods that looked to be about 12 feet long. I was thinking they would probably make good spey casters under 200 bucks too...…...
    I have been racking my brain trying to remember where I read the blanks were the same but have drawn a blank. Maybe someone with a better memory than mine will know.

Bill

12. Likes Ard liked this post

How do you change this rod from spin to fly and vice versa?
    I've tried to pull this thing apart to switch it but methinks its stuck. Maybe not? I'm not familiar with this rod.

Here is a couple of pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Razorhead56 View Post
    How do you change this rod from spin to fly and vice versa?
    I've tried to pull this thing apart to switch it but methinks its stuck. Maybe not? I'm not familiar with this rod.
    I agree.... it's stuck

16. Likes Ard liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast