River glass or something cheaper..?

Raging Moorish

Reaction score
I'm looking for my second fly rod after having the ovris encounter for a few weeks. I am currently set on getting a fiberglass rod after trying the 6'9 version of the river glass rod (River Glass | Echo Fly Fishing) at the local fly shop. It seems like the slower action rods work better with my casting stroke then the fast action. However, the $250 river glass rod is at the very top of my budget, as I budgeted to spend between $300-350 on the entire set up. I will primarily be using this rod exclusively small stream fishing and casting for panfish from a kayak. I did find this rod (https://www.ebay.com/i/312558438683?chn=ps), which claims to be slow action, but I have never even heard anything about wetfly. Do you think the echo is the best option or something different/cheaper?

-bradley

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
I have a Cabelas CGR and for small stream and kayak fishing I haven't seen a need for anything fancier. For the money it is a great deal. I also have a one-piece Cabelas Prime glass rod that was even cheaper and works fine, but i don't think they have that one anymore.

proheli

Reaction score
Well, did you REALLY Like the River Glass you tried? If the answer is yes, I’d just pop for it and get it. Then find a lightly used battenkill clicker. Sounds like a great little set up. 250 is right in the middle for glass, some nice less expensive ones and some nice more expensive ones.

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
Well, did you REALLY Like the River Glass you tried? If the answer is yes, I’d just pop for it and get it.
I agree with the above. I have not cast either the new Echo River series nor the Wetfly, but I have owned and cast a lot of glass rods and, while there are exceptions, I've found that there's a pretty high correlation between price and quality. If it was me and I really liked the Echo, I'd get it but I can appreciate the budget concerns. I certainly wouldn't order the Wetfly unless the seller offered a liberal return policy. You might try the CGR mentioned above. I have not cast the current model, but I cast a couple of the models in the prior series (from maybe 2-3 years ago) and did not care for them. But lots of people do. So perhaps try one of those. If you like it, you'll have a rod you enjoy for $70. If you don't, return it and move on. You also might consider the Fenwick Fenglass in the 6'6" 3 wt. Wal-Mart and Amazon each have it for about $180 (WM a bit cheaper). I wouldn't totally cheap out on the line (not saying that you need to spend $80), but I'd look for the cheapest reel you can find. For a 3 wt it's just a line holder, so that's where I'd try to achieve some budget savings. Good luck to you!

huronfly

Reaction score
I like my river glass 6'9' #3 for tight bushy creeks. I have mine paired up with a $20 clicker reel and a discounted DT line, there's really no need to spend on a reel for a 3 weight. Put that money towards the rod and line.

I do also really like the classic trout 8' #3 I picked up recently, gives a bit more reach for mending and line pick up, and is also very budget friendly.

karstopo

Reaction score
I’d get the rod you like, the Echo, unless you can get to a place where you can try the other considerations. You might get lucky and like the Wetfly rod sight unseen, but you could even more likely not like the Wetfly rod. Unless it’s a rebranded Echo, it won’t feel the same as the Echo River glass you liked. I think you should be able to find a very capable reel for around $50 or less and some perfectly suitable line for the same. You might nudge your budget’s top end, but maybe not. Some places give line credit for buying a rod, so it’s possible to get the line for free.

skunkedalot

Reaction score
Cane and Silk" custom fly rods. Crafted by a flyfisherman for flyfishermen

check out Mike's website- he makes beautiful rods at really great prices. I know 2 gents who gush about his rods. I believe $159 depending on what model you choose. You can speak directly with him too and customize your rod to meet your needs.

there are a lot of rods out there- check out fibreglass flyrodders for info on all rods glass .

ia_trouter

Reaction score
If I was going to go cheap it would be a CGR without a doubt. Dozens of happy owners here and the CGR love threads are easy to find. If you like the Echo then go for it. They make good stuff and stand behind it.

Raging Moorish

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the great feed back. I’ve really taken things into consideration and right now, if I decide to go on a budget it’s gonna the 3 wt cgr. But part of me still wants to go with something a little nicer. I also have been giving the Renington butter stick a real good look recently, it just sucks that I won’t be able to try it first if I do decide on ordering that.

Oh decisions decisions ....

-Bradley

mjkirshner

Reaction score
Some places give line credit for buying a rod, so it’s possible to get the line for free.
Stillwater will give a $75 line credit with that rod. With that and a Redington Zero reel, you can stay around your budget. On the other hand, a CGR will cost you $70. The Orvis Battenkill is $109 from Stillwater, with a $40 line credit, so you can get some Rio Mainstream for free, and the whole deal will come in at a little more than half your budget.

Plecoptera

Reaction score
The Wetfly stuff I've seen appears to be the same as a Chinese company called Maxcatch. I have a few Maxcatch rods (both Ultraglass and Uniglass), but they are not what you would call "slow", at least for glass. I use them with half-weight heavy lines (or a full weight heavier in the case of the 4wt Uniglass). You can usually find the Maxcatch-branded rods cheaper than the Wetfly. I think they look better too, without the huge "Wetfly" logo.

I've been pretty happy with the Echo rods I own, though I don't have any of the River Glass series yet. I do own a couple of their Shadow II's for euro nymphing, a 5wt Big Water glass froma year or two ago (really nice), and just bought a BAG Quickshot 6wt a few weeks ago. That latter rod is definitely not slow -- probably casts further than any other glass 6wt I've tried so far.

Another inexpensive Chinese glass rod company to look at is Aventik / River Runs. They sell on Amazon sometimes. I like their 4wt 7'8" rod; seems true to weight and casts nice, though not as nice as my Orvis Superfine 4wt :)

del gue

Reaction score
Were it I, I'd go with either a Fenwick Fenglass or the Echo River Glass rod, slap a Piscifun Sword reel on it, some Cortland fly line, and never look back.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
The CGR is slow, I own a 4wt and its a good trout rod, I tried the river glass 3wt and I really liked the taper, but its a much faster glass rod, to me they are not comparable and as much as I like the CGR its for smaller water, its too slow and short for my home rivers. For me.

I feel a fen glass in the $200 range might be something to check out, Ive always had a soft spot for Fenwick glass, the fen glass is a nice rod, backbone modern yet a bit more old school and full flexing.

Your rod should be based on the size of flies and how you like to cast and fight fish. I like a little faster glass and a little power in reserve, yet full flexing for battling nice trout. All of this rod talk is still slow compared to graphite.