Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  33
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: What line for Cabelas CGR series?

Quote Originally Posted by unknownflyman View Post
    I`m just fishing a Rio DT #4 on mine and I think it casts nice, I did try my Airflo Elite WF3F but it didn't seem like enough. It is a 4WT but it is a super slow rod probably the slowest rod I own. My Wright Mcgill is faster and has better range. The CGR is a close range small creek rod for sure so it probably doesn't matter a 3 or 4wt line will suffice.
    The smaller weight CGRs are too short and slow to be ideal anywhere but a smallish creek. I'm pretty sure my bamboo rod is faster than my CGR lol. I know some of us get carried away here like the CGR is the best rod on earth for most any use. If I know I am tossing streamers or fishing water with any size to it I grab a different tool. I've never cast the largest CGRs and I am curiously what they are like. I'm sure I already have enough larger rods though.

2. Likes unknownflyman, cpiercem liked this post

Since I went nuts and bought them all I'll chime in again.

The 6'2" 2 wt and 5'9" 3 wt are little blue line rods, although I did catch largemouth with them over the summer, just for laughs. It can be done but it's silly.

The 7'5" 5/6 wt and 7/8 are not as slow as the ca. 1975 Fenwick 8' 6 wt someone gave me earlier this year. Or maybe "not as whippy" is a better description. You'd have to work to snap your fly off with the CGR.

All of them handle a variety of line weights and configurations without too much fuss. So my advice to anyone buying one of these is to concentrate on finding an appropriate reel -- not too big, not too heavy -- first and then play around with lines until you find something that works.

If you can find the old CGR click and pawl reels then you're golden. A little Hardy or something similar would be good too.

4. Likes ts47, ia_trouter liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
    The smaller weight CGRs are too short and slow to be ideal anywhere but a smallish creek. I'm pretty sure my bamboo rod is faster than my CGR lol. I know some of us get carried away here like the CGR is the best rod on earth for most any use. If I know I am tossing streamers or fishing water with any size to it I grab a different tool. I've never cast the largest CGRs and I am curiously what they are like. I'm sure I already have enough larger rods though.
    Iím one of those who once wondered if CGR might be good for all. Returned from a 5 day backpack trip fishing only the CGR 4wt and wondered why I bother with more expensive light line rods for backcountry streams. I sold those other graphite rods and bought the heavier line CGRs then actually tried fishing nothing but CGR for a month. Failed experiment. I prefer fast graphite for casting into wind on alpine lakes and on for chucking big soggy flies for pike and the like. I grab the CGRs for how they fish, not for how they cast. The 4 is awesome on backcountry creeks. The 7/8 sucks with big streamers and pike flies but does fine with carp flies and zonkers to size 6 or so. Itís awesome with a SMB, carp, or wiper on the line. I love the CGR for how it fishes which is why I almost always have one along, even if itís as a backup on the week long backpack. Kinda weird since they are slow action and the other rods I typically have along are fast action.

6. Likes ia_trouter, cpiercem liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by justahack View Post
    I’m one of those who once wondered if CGR might be good for all. Returned from a 5 day backpack trip fishing only the CGR 4wt and wondered why I bother with more expensive light line rods for backcountry streams. I sold those other graphite rods and bought the heavier line CGRs then actually tried fishing nothing but CGR for a month. Failed experiment. I prefer fast graphite for casting into wind on alpine lakes and on for chucking big soggy flies for pike and the like. I grab the CGRs for how they fish, not for how they cast. The 4 is awesome on backcountry creeks. The 7/8 sucks with big streamers and pike flies but does fine with carp flies and zonkers to size 6 or so. It’s awesome with a SMB, carp, or wiper on the line. I love the CGR for how it fishes which is why I almost always have one along, even if it’s as a backup on the week long backpack. Kinda weird since they are slow action and the other rods I typically have along are fast action.
    Sounds like we think alike. I'm not trading out my faster action 7-9WT graphites for big flies. I've cycled through the creek rods, from a Redington CT which was fine, to a couple RDPs I built which are better with small streamers or wind. The 4WT CGR put them all in storage for two seasons because it is so fun to fish, but the RDPs are coming back out on streamer days next season. I've tried enough rods to be content on the Driftless now. I have a 4/5 CGR as well but I will let my daughter use it. Her casting stroke is so slow it will put you to sleep watching so the rod will be perfect. There are definitely some guys on the forum that enjoy their larger CGRs but they must be throwing modest streamers.

8. Likes justahack, cpiercem liked this post

Maybe so. They are no fun for pike and the flies that tempt them.

10. Likes ia_trouter liked this post

Sounds like we think alike. I'm not trading out my faster action 7-9WT graphites for big flies. I've cycled through the creek rods, from a Redington CT which was fine, to a couple RDPs I built which are better with small streamers or wind. The 4WT CGR put them all in storage for two seasons because it is so fun to fish, but the RDPs are coming back out on streamer days next season. I've tried enough rods to be content on the Driftless now. I have a 4/5 CGR as well but I will let my daughter use it. Her casting stroke is so slow it will put you to sleep watching so the rod will be perfect. There are definitely some guys on the forum that enjoy their larger CGRs but they must be throwing modest streamers.
    I find your comments appropriate for my situation. I'm coming back to this sport after personal things took me out for a while. I was up until midnight last night (having fun) going back through my rods and reels, and just getting organized again. I rediscovered my Redington CT 3wt - and lets not forget that 4 piece St Croix Imperial 7'6" 4wt!

I'm looking forward to fishing again!! (didn't mean to pull the thread away from the CGRs. Someone may refer back to this at some point)

Getting back to the CGRs... I'm still trying to find out what spare lines I have. I found a reel with 3wt SA Trout on it. I swore I had a 3wt double taper somewhere too. Will need to keep organizing...
    Todd

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
    ~ Doug Larson

12. Likes ia_trouter, justahack, cpiercem liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by ts47 View Post
    I find your comments appropriate for my situation. I'm coming back to this sport after personal things took me out for a while. I was up until midnight last night (having fun) going back through my rods and reels, and just getting organized again. I rediscovered my Redington CT 3wt - and lets not forget that 4 piece St Croix Imperial 7'6" 4wt!

I'm looking forward to fishing again!! (didn't mean to pull the thread away from the CGRs. Someone may refer back to this at some point)

Getting back to the CGRs... I'm still trying to find out what spare lines I have. I found a reel with 3wt SA Trout on it. I swore I had a 3wt double taper somewhere too. Will need to keep organizing...
    You'll be more than just fine with a 4WT line on that CGR. For whatever reason I just happened to throw the reel with the SA Mastery Trout 3WT DT line on and said "yeah oh wow, this rod is completely solved now". I tend to overline my rods if I stray from factory recommendations at all. This was one of those times when that would have been a lean in the wrong direction.

14. Likes cpiercem liked this post

You'll be more than just fine with a 4WT line on that CGR. For whatever reason I just happened to throw the reel with the SA Mastery Trout #WT DT line on and said "yeah oh wow, this rod is completely solved now". I tend to overline my rods if I stray from factory recommendations at all. This was one of those times when that would have been a lean in the wrong direction.
    My comment was about finding a 3wt SA Trout on a reel, not a 4wt line. Your comment didn't track with the conversation and wanted to make sure I understand what you're saying?

For me, I tried a 4wt SA Trout lince on my CGR 4wt and didn't like it. It's part of why I started this thread. Of course, it could be my lack of practice over the last few years...
    Todd

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
    ~ Doug Larson

Quote Originally Posted by ts47 View Post
    My comment was about finding a 3wt SA Trout on a reel, not a 4wt line. Your comment didn't track with the conversation and wanted to make sure I understand what you're saying?

For me, I tried a 4wt SA Trout lince on my CGR 4wt and didn't like it. It's part of why I started this thread. Of course, it could be my lack of practice over the last few years...
    That 3wt SA trout will be great on that rod. It’s got a 60’+ head. So long as you are casting within ~40’ or so, it will act a lot like a DT line. I found standard 4wt lines a bit too sloggy for the 4wt CGR. I don’t think your lack of practice was a strong contributing factor in your reaching a similar conclusion.

17. Thanks ts47 thanked for this post

Quote Originally Posted by justahack View Post
    That 3wt SA trout will be great on that rod. It’s got a 60’+ head. So long as you are casting within ~40’ or so, it will act a lot like a DT line. I found standard 4wt lines a bit too sloggy for the 4wt CGR. I don’t think your lack of practice was a strong contributing factor in your reaching a similar conclusion.
    Thanks justahack for the added info. I'll give the 3wt trout a try. My thoughts on the 4wt line were cloudy until you said... sloggy. That's the perfect word to describe a 4wt line on the CGR 4wt rod!
    Todd

~ Doug Larson

19. Likes justahack liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123