Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
  1. Default ferrules on Epic fastglass II rods

How do you compare/like/rate the ferrules on the newer epic glass rods?

How would you describe the 476 in its class as compared to other glass - eg superfine, T&T lotic, etc?

BTW, I have a custom (myself) 686-4, great rod.

Default Re: ferrules on Epic fastglass II rods

I can't speak to the Epic IIs, but I had an original Epic 476. To me, and I'm probably in the minority on this, it was a 5 wt. I liked it OK, but I didn't really want a 7'6" 5 wt and so I sold it. I assume the tapers of the series II rods are largely the same, but have no first-hand experience with them. And I do agree that the 686, at least in the original series, is a great rod!

It's been over a year since I cast one, but the Lotic 4 wt is exceptional. I can't comment on the SFG--I won't buy Orvis rods and so I don't bother to cast them.

If I was in the market for a 7'6"ish glass 4 wt, I'd go with either the Lotic or a Livingston (Livingston offers a line of shorter glass rods that is not shown on its website - just reach out to the owner if interested or looking for more info). If 7'9" is not too long, you might check out the Barclay Synthesis (his General Practitioner model) and a Kenney.

Good luck to you.

Iíve cast the new Epic 476. I thought the rod casts nicer with a 5 weight line too

4. Default Re: ferrules on Epic fastglass II rods

To add to my original post, I see that Red Truck fiberglass rods have spigot ferrules, have textured finish, and made in Korea. Sounds familiar relative to Epics? Any thoughts and opinions on the RT fiberglass rods?

Quote Originally Posted by smokepoles View Post
    To add to my original post, I see that Red Truck fiberglass rods have spigot ferrules, have textured finish, and made in Korea. Any thoughts and opinions on the RT fiberglass rods?
    Funny you mention the Red Truck rods. I was just thinking of making a follow-up post about them. I owned the Red Truck 7'6" 4 wt a few years back. I thought it cast quite nicely and could serve as a solid all-around 4 wt (at least to the extent ANY 7'6" rod can). The thing that bugged me though was the shape of the grip. It was unique and I didn't care for it. It wasn't necessarily uncomfortable, but it was different enough that I found myself thinking about how the rod felt in my hand rather than focusing on my targets. But just recently Red Truck began selling blanks. Since you've built rods before, you might look into getting a blank and building it yourself--with a grip of your choice. So bottom line, I wouldn't personally recommend the factory rod, but I think the blank is nice and so if you built your own you'd end up with a nice rod, IMO at least, for less than any of the others mentioned above.

It's been too long since I cast the RT to compare it to the Epic or the T&T. I just recall liking the RT. And loving the Lotic!

Based on what I recall, if the cost of having a RT built out by a custom builder would be the same as the factory Lotic, I'd go with the Lotic. But if you can save a few hundred bucks by building it yourself, I'd seriously consider going that route.

Good luck to you.

6. Default Re: ferrules on Epic fastglass II rods

WNC, the description of the RT rods is confusing on their web site - one place says their glass rods are E-glass another place the 476 is S-glass. Indeed, building a rod is not a big issue or hindrance to me, thoigh lately I have tended to buy 'used' rods of superior quality owing to the deals that are out there if you are not in immediate need. Then again immediate want sometimes pops up its ugly head ;-).

Also,i'mi nterested in why you will not buy Orvis rod. Lot's of good reviews of their SFG. I've never had an Orvis rod, but have bought a significant outdoor clothing and other outdoor equipment (mostly on sale) from them and found dependable quaility and service.

Tight lines.

Quote Originally Posted by smokepoles View Post
    Also,i'mi nterested in why you will not buy Orvis rod.
    Nothing to do with the perceived quality of the product. Without getting into specifics, actions have consequences, in my case choosing to spend my money elsewhere. As for the RT, can't speak to the E vs S discrepancy. If it matters, probably worth calling to Leland to inquire. Good luck to you.

8. Default Re: ferrules on Epic fastglass II rods

Agreed, and I have inquired through RT web site and no response yet. Maybe dire=ct to Leland would be better. BTW, what is difference in practice, one subsidiary of other?

Not sure that how much e- or s-glass matters, though I sure know the newer s-fiberglass (aka Epic 686) is much more to my liking than the first fiberglass rods I build 40 years ago. Assuming those were e-glass, but surely not expensive as I was work way through school. One went to my father who surely was kind enough not to tell me how poor action truly was ;-).