Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Help with selecting a CGR Rod for reels and line I already have.

Hello all, This is my first post so bare with me please. I was big into fly fishing about 15 years ago but life got crazy and I haven't had the time to get out in years. Im now making a pack to start back up. I do have a question where as you glass guys might be able to help out with. Im looking for a shorter rod for tight mountain creeks and the CGR looks like a fun option to try without braking the bank. I have a Galvin OB-1 reel (1-3 wt) with WF 3wt line and a Okama (4/5 wt) reel with 5wt WF line. My question is what wt Cabela's CGR rod would best match these reel set ups? I have seen that people are using lighter lines on these rods (4wt rod with 3wt line) is this the best practice with theses rods? I would like to buy a rod for each reel that I have. Thanks

Default Re: Help with selecting a CGR Rod for reels and line I already have.

The CGRs I used would cast the lines they were marked for, but fitting line and rod is always a subjective endeavor.
    Distance of cast, size of fly, the way I cast can all be different than someone else. Personally I like a bit faster rod in those tighter places. But then I also like medium weight lines for shorter casts.

I can't speak to the CGR specifically, but fiberglass rods typically are able to handle various line weights (e.g., a 5 wt rod rod might cast a 4 or 6 wt line just fine), at least more so than graphite.

Given your lines (more below), I would probably opt for the 6'2" 2 wt and the 7' 5 wt. The CGR 3 wt is only 5'9" and that's awfully short. Also, it sounds like you'll be making short casts and so using a line a size heavy may help the rod load for short casts--though being able to load with just a tiny bit of line out is another attribute of most glass rods. From what I've read Cabela's return policy isn't quite as liberal as it used to be, but I would think that if you bought a rod and just cast it on the lawn without the plastic still on the cork (if they even put plastic on) that you could return it for a different model, though obviously you should familiarize yourself with the return policy before buying.

Are your lines 15 years old? If so, you probably should consider replacing them, though if not total slinkies and no cracks I guess you could try them first.

Another rod that I know nothing about, but I did see that the graphite Big Horn is on sale for $10 less than the CGRs, though they are longer.

Good luck to you.

Yes lines are 15 years old but never used and show no signs of cracking. I went out today to work on my cast and every thing is coming back quickly. all my equipment is good even the tippet line is still strong. Surprising actually thought everything would be done. All my fly tying stuff is still good as well tied a few flies the other night and nothing it brittle. I do have a few things that need replacing but all an all Im good. This venture into a glass rod is mainly to find a cheap rod for tight spots. I really want a Murry's mountain rod but don't have $750 for a rod right now. Im excited to get my daughter a rod as well thinking these CGR rods are great for a beginner.

Quote Originally Posted by krshome View Post
    This venture into a glass rod is mainly to find a cheap rod for tight spots. I really want a Murry's mountain rod but don't have $750 for a rod right now.
    Not to steer you away from the CGRs--glass rods can be great on small/tight streams and the short length can be a plus--but you might check out the Redington Classic Trout. While 8" longer than the Scott Murray rod, the 7'6" 3 wt in particular is a terrific rod IMO. The CTs list for around $150 but can often be found for $120 or even less. Hard to beat on the price-to-quality scale. Good luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by WNCtroutstalker View Post
    Not to steer you away from the CGRs--glass rods can be great on small/tight streams and the short length can be a plus--but you might check out the Redington Classic Trout. While 8" longer than the Scott Murray rod, the 7'6" 3 wt in particular is a terrific rod IMO. The CTs list for around $150 but can often be found for $120 or even less. Hard to beat on the price-to-quality scale. Good luck to you!
    I now have 2 Classic Trouts, a 3 wt and a 5 wt and love them both. Kinda wish I would have made the CT my first fly rod but then I wouldn’t have known how much I like them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The CGRs are fun and really inexpensive rods. I had a similar thread. The group determination was that a 3wt line on the CGR 4wt is the correct pairing. The rod simply collapses with a 4wt line. With the 5wt line, I'm not sure. Here is the thread I started though. What line for Cabelas CGR series?

The comments you have received on the Redington CT(Classic Trout) are accurate. They have a bit more backbone than the CGRs but still a softer feel . They are however about twice the price. The CTs are well suited for true to weight lines. The 7'6" 3wt is especially good for an inexpensive rod. I have owned the 9' and 8'6" 5wts. Both are good rods. It's been too long for me to tell you which length I preferred. You can roll cast with these too. The CGRs are too soft to perform a roll cast.

Would you consider a more expensive rod like the Redington CT? If not, let us know so we can stick to the question you want answered.
    Todd

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
    ~ Doug Larson