Asheville nc area people wanted

futuramille

Reaction score
I'm Jonathan, but JJ is easier to type. :)

Shoot me an IM and we will plan a spot to meet. I'll come along with my 12yo son but he's cool and may outfish us both....ties his own flies as well. hope you don't mind?

We'll may be fishing the chatooga in a week if all goes well...at least Sat. & Sun. your welcome to join up or we could pick another spot.

JJ

Bamboo10

Reaction score
I'm Gary Jones and I reside just north of Charlotte on the upper end of Lake Norman.

A bunch of us from the Carolina Fly Fishing Club are going to be up in Spruce Pine, NC on October 10 and 11 at the Project Healing Waters event at Rivers Edge to fish with some of the vets that we work with.
http://www.projecthealingwatersnorthcarolina.blogspot.com/
If any of you want to come by and see what's happening, look me up, if you don't want to fish the trophy waters there are several other streams in area that have some good fishing. They will have some casting games, fly tying, casting lessons and a banquet on Saturday evening with some great items for auction and raffles.

Brian, the next time I plan a trip over that way I will give you a holler, we can fish some bamboo together.
GJ

rockhoppernc

Reaction score
futuramille,
the chatooga sounds good,,,,I might try and join you sat night and fish sunday,,,
i need some info on what to dring to fish with and info on the river.

bandree

Reaction score
I'm Jonathan, but JJ is easier to type. :)

Shoot me an IM and we will plan a spot to meet. I'll come along with my 12yo son but he's cool and may outfish us both....ties his own flies as well. hope you don't mind?

We'll may be fishing the chatooga in a week if all goes well...at least Sat. & Sun. your welcome to join up or we could pick another spot.

JJ
How did the Chattooga trip go? I am planing a trip up there for either the first or second weekend in November. I live in Tallahassee.

futuramille

Reaction score
It was a great weekend. Brian landed at least 5 fish with two in the 14 - 16 inch range. Dan, a friend of mine landed about the same with and even larger brown trout in the mix. I caught a couple bows and my son landed a brown. the weather was nice.

My son and I went last weekend. There were 15 or so other fly fisherman there and other than one guy who said he landed a couple small bows before 9, everyone was getting skunked. The leaves were heavy throughout the water column, it was the first clear day after 4 days of drizzle though the water was crystal clear. Biggest element was I only spotted three trout where I usually see MANY more. I threw everything at them and snagged rocks enough to know I was on the bottom. The Chattooga was just stocked a week ago. It was puzzling.

I'll probably wait till the heavy leaf fall is over before going again. probably after the restricted harvest (single hook, imitation only, catch n release) kicks in above highway 28.