Denver Area Flyfisher

smilingduck

Reaction score
I've moved to the Denver area and was wondering if anyone on the forum is looking for a fishing partner. I've only fished the Blue River and the South Platte in town I've been exploring. I've went out the last three days and was able to land a nice carp on the second trip. I was going to go down to try Deckers if anyone is interested. I have all my own gear and can drive or pitch in gas/bring lunch.

losthwy

Montrose, Co.
Reaction score
Welcome to Colorado.
Tell us more about yourself. Where did you move from, where in the metro area are you, age, how long you been fly fishing, etc.

smilingduck

Reaction score
I have lived in the Bay Area my whole life I'm 43 married with three kids a 7 year old daughter and 3 year old boy/girl twins. I have been flyfishing since about 13 but about 15 years ago got into duck hunting so I haven't been fishing as much as I would like. Due to California being so expensive my wife and I decided to move to the Denver area we now live in Commerce City.

Living in the Bay Area was hard all the fishing places were 4 HR drive away. Now there are plenty of places within a 2HR drive. The last few years I haven't been able to fish much but I've been learning how to cast two handed rods. Now I hope to be able to fish my switch rods on some of Colorados large rivers and just learn the area so that when my kids are ready to fish I will know where to go.

Thanks Dylan

losthwy

Montrose, Co.
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I went to a seminar on fishing Clear Creek ( at Blue Quill), due to wanting a place close to home to fish. I'll be exploring that this summer though not big spey waters, it is close. The area is fortunate to have several good fly shops Blue Quill which is Czech nyumping central in Evergreen, Angler's All in Littleton, Charlie's Fly Box in Arvada, and close to you is Bass Pro which has a decent fly fishing store. If you don't tie Sportsmen warehouse has good prices on flys. Cabela's is let's say.... disappointing when it come to fly fishing.

You have any days during the week you can fish? I tend not to fish on weekends.
If interested in fishing Clear Creek during the week shoot me a PM.

thejerksen

Reaction score
Always interested in a meetup. Charlie's is my candy store that is for sure! I'm a weekend warrior unfortunately with an 8-5 job. I do try to sneak in an afternoon here and there though.

If you really want to do some quality euro nymphing head down to Deckers on the S. Platte. Some of my favorite water to fish within an hour of Denver. Otherwise up here by Longmont Boulder Creek, Big T, St. Vrain, and quite a bit inside the park are great as well. The real treat is moonlight fishing mouse patterns if you want to avoid crowds, but we try to keep that a secret as much as possible.

trees

Reaction score
I've moved to the Denver area and was wondering if anyone on the forum is looking for a fishing partner. I've only fished the Blue River and the South Platte in town I've been exploring. I've went out the last three days and was able to land a nice carp on the second trip. I was going to go down to try Deckers if anyone is interested. I have all my own gear and can drive or pitch in gas/bring lunch.
It's supposed to be nice this weekend, I was thinking about hiking around SBC again. Have any plans for this weekend? I have heard lots of good things about st vrain.

timken33

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to the Denver area as well. I've fished the dream stream. Deckers. Blue. Colorado and want to try the gunnison when the salmon start running. I need a fishing buddy also let me know.

scotty macfly

Reaction score
Always interested in a meetup. Charlie's is my candy store that is for sure! I'm a weekend warrior unfortunately with an 8-5 job. I do try to sneak in an afternoon here and there though.

If you really want to do some quality euro nymphing head down to Deckers on the S. Platte. Some of my favorite water to fish within an hour of Denver. Otherwise up here by Longmont Boulder Creek, Big T, St. Vrain, and quite a bit inside the park are great as well. The real treat is moonlight fishing mouse patterns if you want to avoid crowds, but we try to keep that a secret as much as possible.

I'm with Jerksen. We have great waters up this way, and if you like creek fishing like Boulder Creek, get yourself a 3wt rod and get up here. So much water in the IPWA and RMNP, it's unreal.

bucky86

Reaction score
Bump.

I'm new to Denver as well. So far I've only been to the South Platte(with a guide) and S. Boulder Creek (solo) so far. Just trying to get my bearings with where to fish?

brownbass

Reaction score
Bump.

I'm new to Denver as well. So far I've only been to the South Platte(with a guide) and S. Boulder Creek (solo) so far. Just trying to get my bearings with where to fish?
I am not in the Denver area, wish I was but the group I belong to has a contingent in Denver. While I don't know these guys if they are anything like the friends I have made in the local group you could do yourself a favor by seeking out these guys. https://www.flyfishersatthecrossing.org/about/

Bill

scotty macfly

Reaction score
It's supposed to be nice this weekend, I was thinking about hiking around SBC again. Have any plans for this weekend? I have heard lots of good things about st vrain.
You got that right trees. Boulder Creek and any of the Saints are doing well right now.

trees

Reaction score
You got that right trees. Boulder Creek and any of the Saints are doing well right now.
LOL digging it up. I actually live in Longmont now. I was on the Vrain Tuesday, it is indeed doing well now that it's cleared up, but man is it low. It is going to be a rough year. I'm off to a good start though. Lots of alpine trips coming soon.

scotty macfly

Reaction score
LOL digging it up. I actually live in Longmont now. I was on the Vrain Tuesday, it is indeed doing well now that it's cleared up, but man is it low. It is going to be a rough year. I'm off to a good start though. Lots of alpine trips coming soon.
Well hello neighbor. I've not yet fished the St. Vrain except up in the Wild Basin earlier this Spring with Zjory. It was a little work cracking the code in that low water, but we ended up with one fish a piece. I'll probably be fishing it again this weekend or week since I will be on vacation.