Richmond VA area fly fishing and tying

powershooter

Reaction score
Is there anyone in the Richmond VA area that wants to get together to tie flies or fly fish ?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jspfishing

Reaction score
Did you get anything at Dorey Park? I'm sure it was fished out. I actually just ordered a vise. I don't have any tools or materials yet though. I've looked up some sweet crayfish patterns though to hunt some smallmouth. Where do you normally fish in Richmond? I haven't been in the James yet. I've been practicing in ponds etc.

powershooter

Reaction score
Did you get anything at Dorey Park? I'm sure it was fished out. I actually just ordered a vise. I don't have any tools or materials yet though. I've looked up some sweet crayfish patterns though to hunt some smallmouth. Where do you normally fish in Richmond? I haven't been in the James yet. I've been practicing in ponds etc.
Today is your lucky day , I have a crawfish pattern that needs to be tested . You interested in being the tester ? Nothing at dorey. Congrats on the vise . Before you go buying a ton of materials , we will talk and see what you need . Have deer tail and rooster hackle locally given to me . Plenty to go around .

I would like to get a group together to have monthly fishing or tying meetings . You interested ?

jspfishing

Reaction score
Today is your lucky day , I have a crawfish pattern that needs to be tested . You interested in being the tester ? Nothing at dorey. Congrats on the vise . Before you go buying a ton of materials , we will talk and see what you need . Have deer tail and rooster hackle locally given to me . Plenty to go around .

I would like to get a group together to have monthly fishing or tying meetings . You interested ?

Yea for sure. I just have to finish up my college semester. Classes end in a week in a half and then finals. Remember, Shields lake is going to be stocked with some browns next week I believe. I want to try to go at least once when they stock. Finals is a critical time, but Shields Lake is really close to VCU so it works out. Whats your schedule like typically? I try to go after class for about an hour or two on Mon, Wed, or Fri. Before it gets heavy pressure from birds and people. Need flashy vibrant streamers (gold and silver). I lost all mine. Thats why I got a vise so I can eventually tie my own etc.

powershooter

Reaction score
Yea for sure. I just have to finish up my college semester. Classes end in a week in a half and then finals. Remember, Shields lake is going to be stocked with some browns next week I believe. I want to try to go at least once when they stock. Finals is a critical time, but Shields Lake is really close to VCU so it works out. Whats your schedule like typically? I try to go after class for about an hour or two on Mon, Wed, or Fri. Before it gets heavy pressure from birds and people. Need flashy vibrant streamers (gold and silver). I lost all mine. Thats why I got a vise so I can eventually tie my own etc.
I work Monday thru Friday. I'm a weekend only person. What size hook do you want on The streamers and is there a specific pattern you want ? The times I went it was only a few there . It's hunting season, that helps keep some of the pressure down .

jspfishing

Reaction score
I work Monday thru Friday. I'm a weekend only person. What size hook do you want on The streamers and is there a specific pattern you want ? The times I went it was only a few there . It's hunting season, that helps keep some of the pressure down .

I'm actually not even sure. Probably a 6. They really like the panther martin gold spinners. So I'm assuming a gold streamer of some sort will act the same as spinner.

powershooter

Reaction score
I'm actually not even sure. Probably a 6. They really like the panther martin gold spinners. So I'm assuming a gold streamer of some sort will act the same as spinner.
I'll see what I can come up with .

jspfishing

Reaction score
My vise came today! works pretty good. I tried it on a 2/0 hook. Felt pretty strong. It's definitely not a top of the line vise. It's probably one step better than the one the kits provide. It's an Odyssey Spider Vise

powershooter

Reaction score
My vise came today! works pretty good. I tried it on a 2/0 hook. Felt pretty strong. It's definitely not a top of the line vise. It's probably one step better than the one the kits provide. It's an Odyssey Spider Vise
That's a good vise . Sent you a message.

kevind62

Reaction score
Digging through threads. How did this turn out? Y'all ever get hooked up or get a group started? I'm trying to inch my way further north when I fish the Appalachians. Haven't made it up to VA yet. Hopefully soon.