Need one more for Alaska trip this summer. Near Bethel

magnaflux

Reaction score
Need one more for Alaska trip this summer. Near Bethel.
We are from Florida. Still in planning stages. Maybe upper Kanektok?

lltdeer

Reaction score
i know this is a old post ,but would like to know if you made your trip and how it went?

Acheron

Reaction score
I've been on semi-DIY to full blown DIY trips out of Bethel and others and they have always been everything I thought and hoped it would be. Every time I think about it, my heart races again. It's a truely amazing experience. If you are considering it @lltdeer...do it!! Honestly, it won't matter which river you select around Bristol, they're all that good (assuming you plan to hit it during good fishing times).

I'm already planning my next trip!

Best advice I have is to research the river and make sure it matches what you want. Then have a Plan B and Plan C in case there is low water, weather changes the number of days you get, etc. I've had to change rivers the day before we were launching, it happens.

Last edited:

bushak

Reaction score
I've been on semi-DIY to full blown DIY trips out of Bethel and others and they have always been everything I thought and hoped it would be. Every time I think about it, my heart races again. It's a truely amazing experience. If you are considering it @lltdeer...do it!! Honestly, it won't matter which river you select around Bristol, they're all that good (assuming you plan to hit it during good fishing times).

I'm already planning my next trip!

Best advice I have is to research the river and make sure it matches what you want. Then have a Plan B and Plan C in case there is low water, weather changes the number of days you get, etc. I've had to change rivers the day before we were launching, it happens.
Which river was your favorite? My "home river" for 11 years was the Kwethluk.

lltdeer

Reaction score
wasn't really planning a trip there just wanted to know if the op got some one to go with him,i would have been interested always open to something like that if able., what for fish are you all going for around there. I'm always open to any fly fishing?

Acheron

Reaction score
Which river was your favorite? My "home river" for 11 years was the Kwethluk.
I haven't been to enough of them or back to a single one enough times, to have a favorite, I'd pick any of them to be honest!

I floated the Kwethluk in 2019 :) The portage to start and low water the first couple of days made for some work but the mid to lower section was lights out! We timed it for the silvers and they were hot, as was everything else!

wasn't really planning a trip there just wanted to know if the op got some one to go with him,i would have been interested always open to something like that if able., what for fish are you all going for around there. I'm always open to any fly fishing?
Ahh, I see. Well, if you haven't been to Alaska, and Bristol Bay holds a speical place for a lot of people, then you should go! The fishing is for salmon, rainbows, dolly and varden depending on the time of year you go.

lltdeer

Reaction score
I've fished around Fairbanks for grayling and silver couple times,just got back from fishing Russian river and Kenia, and Quartz, did really well plan on going back next August.to fish for dollies on the Quartz.

bushak

Reaction score
I've fished around Fairbanks for grayling and silver couple times,just got back from fishing Russian river and Kenia, and Quartz, did really well plan on going back next August.to fish for dollies on the Quartz.
I really love fishing Quartz for dollies. I was only able to do it once and it was in September. I had a hard time finding fish, including salmon, but managed a few rainbows on flesh flies.

lltdeer

Reaction score
we were there this past September 10-20 and the sockeye were all around me had to kick them out of the way Lol. meet a guy from Seward and he set me up with some beads and i fished for accouple hours and caught a hand full of nice rainbows and on my last cast caught a nice dolly . i have a new friend now.

lltdeer

Reaction score
we had a guide for a walk in to the head of the Russian and he said if i want to catch dollies i need to come up around August 10,and fish the Qurtz.What is your thoughts? I'm hoping my new friend will keep me informed on when to come up.

bushak

Reaction score
we had a guide for a walk in to the head of the Russian and he said if i want to catch dollies i need to come up around August 10,and fish the Qurtz.What is your thoughts? I'm hoping my new friend will keep me informed on when to come up.
A guide can be useful for your first time. The same sized beads should work on both the Russian and the Quartz during the same time period. For example, in August sockeye will be the most plentiful. You'd want to try size 6 beads in shades of red, orange, and more stonefruit like apricot.

I've caught dollies and rainbows, in Quartz, at the end of July but instead of beads I was using dry flies and pheasant tail nymphs.

lltdeer

Reaction score
thanks for the info,i can see this site is going to be very helpful. How far of a drive is it for from bethel to the quartz?

bushak

Reaction score
thanks for the info,i can see this site is going to be very helpful. How far of a drive is it for from bethel to the quartz?
Bethel is about 400 miles west of Anchorage. It is in the Bush so the only way to get there is by plane. I currently live in Wasilla though which makes it around a 3 hour drive now.