sanibel

Tarpon Time

Reaction score
I am watching the weather and planning in heading to sanibel island the last weekend of July. I am a competent fly fisherman and good fly tier after years of practice lol. Stahing at La Quinta on fort myers is a little less expensive. I have never fished there. I am interested in sight fishing from the beach. I enjoy a challenge. Thanks

First Light

Reaction score
A little late in replying here, but if you did not make it, or if you go back - drive to the bridge that separates Sanibel from Captiva, and park in the lot there. From there you can walk the beach - I have had the best luck walking south along Sanibel. The earlier you get there the better - best time to arrive at that lot is 1/2 hour prior to sunrise, then walk about 20-30 ft above the waterline and look ahead right where the waves are breaking as there will be snook there in the wash. A 6/7/8 wt will work using a small white fly on a #2 or so size hook.

ssd1855

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone is still replying to this thread. I was in Sanibel last spring and thinking about heading back out there again this spring.
Aside from that location do you recommend any others?
How is Tarpon Bay?