SOLD: Vintage Orvis Full Flex Fiberglass Small Stream Special

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
SOLD for $215.00

If you like small streams, if you like vintage tackle then why not fish with part of fiberglass history? Dating circa 1975 - 76, I have an Orvis 6 1/2 foot fiberglass rod rated for #6 lines but I have always used it with a #5 DT or WF line. Five weight loads the rod just fine and a weight forward even better than DT.

This rod will handle fish up to the 20" class pretty well and I've fished it quite a bit here for rainbows. It will toss dry flies on medium size streams well or makes a fine streamer rod for medium to small streams.

Condition: I'd have to call it pretty good considering it has been used quite a bit since it was made. I paid $295.00 for this rod many years ago and have sent it back to Orvis for cork repairs back in 2013. I will sell it for $200.00 that means $200.00 delivered so please don't ask me if I'll take less, these things don't eat and don't make noise so I can keep it if I must.

Rod is in original tube & sock and considering mileage all are in good shape.

Old school cap keeper chain on tubes of this vintage.

Stitching is good on the rod sock.

All labeling is intact as are the wraps at guides and keeper.

Cork is good, I had this redone by Orvis about 6 years ago. You can see where some filler has escaped due to use.

The reel seat hardware is in very good condition and the insert is the old walnut type.

I knew the previous owner and know that he had Orvis install Super Z ferrules back in the 1980's because he didn't like the original Nickle Silver rolled ferrules. When it comes to metal ferrules Super Z are by far the best you could get. These are a Brass / Nickle Silver alloy I believe and are turned as well as the stainless steel that came later. I would guess these to be made in Sweden prior to Cortland buying out the company who made them.

Payment Methods: Pay Pal or Check?

I will pay for shipping and transfer fees. I will also accept a personal check for $230.00 and will ship Priority Mail Insured to you in the United States.

It's a piece of angling history.

Last edited:

flytie09

Reaction score
Re: Vintage Orvis Full Flex Fiberglass Small Stream Special

PM Sent.....

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score

Still available, I will sell for 215.00 which means I am splitting the shipping cost with buyers. At 230.00 the shipping would be covered and my end would be about 200 even. I paid more than that for the rod and never put a mark on it, even sent it back to Orvis back when Jim West still ran the rod repair shop and had things restored to as close to new as a rod this old can get. I'm not saying it's better than a new one but it's pretty good for an old one. :)

Rip Tide

Reaction score

I think that you'd find that Rick's Rods would retail a rod like this in the range of $300 - $350
I've always thought they were kind of expensive..... but still..

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score

Thanks for the link Paul, maybe I'll e-mail them and see if they want it. In all the time I've had it listed it never sold so it wouldn't matter where it was at.... I thought they were expensive back when they were new and used they sell for more than they did new. It really is a sweet small stream rod and I thought it would sell...……..

ddb

Reaction score

Ard,

The Fiberglass Rod Forum has a bunch serious collectors too.

ddb

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score

I e-mailed Rick's Rods, we'll see how long it takes him to get back to me. I linked him to this thread because there are plenty of pictures of it here. I can't join the fiberglass forums just because I want to sell something, that would be pretty disingenuous coming from me :) I told the guy in the e-mail I want to clear 200 so maybe he will take it.

I have many other rods I would consider selling but probably won't post them here. Those 2 custom built Orvis bamboo are a perfect example. I'd be selling cheap but not cheap enough for the internet.

I'm just facing reality, reality being I live in Alaska and use rods 14 feet long. If I want a light rod I have a 1984 9 foot 6 inch Light Salmon graphite that uses a 300 grain line. That's about as light as I need here.

The last time I remember using the rod listed for sale I had my CFO IV on it and ended up getting involved with a rainbow / steelhead? that dam near bent it in half within 5 seconds of hitting a Sculpin. Took me by surprise I'll admit. Got under a fallen tree and broke off my 15 pound leader. What the hell was I thinking? I fish that creek regularly using an 11 1/2 foot long seven weight Hardy Swift with a Cascapedia 8/9 reel on it. They don't overpower me with that rig.

Great rod just don't go hunting big game with your slingshot.

flytie09

Reaction score

Ard,

I’ll take it. My mailbox is full and can’t send a pm right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.