Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Edge Beta 8wght - Salt Water Setup

Hi -

I have decided to part ways with my Edge Beta 8wght w/Redington Behemoth reel, spooled with RIO's Flats Pro. I bought this rod earlier this year in preparation for a work trip to Florida and had intended to get back to the Salt, as it is addicting! However, we just had our second daughter in July and my fishing trips are on hold for the next while. So, no use in sitting in the closet...

Lets do $300 and i will ship...

OBO - just want it gone!

Last edited by peaks2creeks; 11-05-2018 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Reduced price

2. Default Re: Edge Beta 8wght - Salt Water Setup

$400 and I will ship to lower 48...

3. Default Re: Edge Beta 8wght - Salt Water Setup

Updated price: $300

Default Re: Edge Beta 8wght - Salt Water Setup

That rod retailed for almost $900.00 until a little over a year ago. Forget the reel, the rod alone is a steal at that price. I have the exact same rod already or I would buy it. It's like a GLX seriously updated. I also prefer it over my partner's NRX.

Wow...this is so freaking tempting. It's just that I would hardly use it either, a very special occasion rod. Did you fish with this rig at all? What can you tell about it?

Quote Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
    Wow...this is so freaking tempting. It's just that I would hardly use it either, a very special occasion rod. Did you fish with this rig at all? What can you tell about it?
    If you're asking me, yes I use mine quite a bit. I've caught bonefish with it. I also took it carp fishing this summer on Traverse Bay. I'd describe it as very light in weight with a fast, but not ridiculously stiff action. I have not felt the need to upline the rod (same with my ten weight) and that's unusual for me, especially for flats fishing. My ten weight caught several tarpon, but I would suggest that the fish be under 100# in that case. You often hear of rods that cast themselves and I usually snicker at the comment. However, the Edge is a rod that darn near does it.

7. Thanks dean_mt thanked for this post

Would this work well for striped bass in the north east in the surf?

Quote Originally Posted by jr spey View Post
    If you're asking me, yes I use mine quite a bit. I've caught bonefish with it. I also took it carp fishing this summer on Traverse Bay. I'd describe it as very light in weight with a fast, but not ridiculously stiff action. I have not felt the need to upline the rod (same with my ten weight) and that's unusual for me, especially for flats fishing. My ten weight caught several tarpon, but I would suggest that the fish be under 100# in that case. You often hear of rods that cast themselves and I usually snicker at the comment. However, the Edge is a rod that darn near does it.
    Thanks for the report, I was actually asking the owner how much use the rod has seen. But I do appreciate the info. I have a couple Loomis rods and I know that Gary knows what he's doing, I trust these are sweet rods. It's just that if go bone-fishing once a year I'm lucky, and I don't have much other use for an 8wt.

Quote Originally Posted by lookard View Post
    Would this work well for striped bass in the north east in the surf?
    Sure, but I'd prefer a ten weight to deal with the wind and the sometimes heavily weighted flies. That doesn't mean an eight won't do depending upon where you actually fish (exposure to strong winds) and how heavy a fly you use.

11. Default Re: Edge Beta 8wght - Salt Water Setup

@DEAN_MT - This rod has seen about 2hrs MAX of water time. I bought it for a work trip to FL, but barely got to fish while i was down there. I did land a nice Lady fish on it though, so it has some good luck.

After I got from the trip i noticed that the ferrule above the handle section had a bunch of little cracks on the female end. I sent it back to Edge and they kept it for about 2 weeks as they "were trying to match it up" with a new section. They were AWESOME to work with and I would have ZERO hesitancy to working with them again, some of the best Customer Service you could ask for. By the end of it all, i was basically friends with the CS people and was swapping fish pics and stories via email and phone. Any way, this rod has NOT been cast since i have got it back from Edge, i have put it together and the new section does fit perfectly, so i am confident in their repair.

Let me know if there are any other questions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast