WTB: 9' 9wt Rod Sub $300

alecb co

Reaction score
Looking for a 9wt rod, perhaps an 8wt, what do you guys have that you are looking to part with?

Thanks in advance.

mnigro

Reaction score
I have a 10wt if you’re interested. St Croix Legwnd Elite Salt

r_brian

Reaction score
I was just in my local Cabela's. They have an Orvis Encounter outfit, 9ft - 8wt, for $135.00. Didn't notice if it came in 9wt. Definitely not the best Orvis, but the price is right.

brownbass

Reaction score
Echo, TFO Redington all have good rods in that would fill the bill for you. Can you get out and try some? Trident has a program that would let you try a couple of rods side by side. I have ordered rods from Cabelas to try out and then returned them clean and in like new condition.

Bill

jc10

Reaction score
Echo, TFO Redington all have good rods in that would fill the bill for you. Can you get out and try some? Trident has a program that would let you try a couple of rods side by side. I have ordered rods from Cabelas to try out and then returned them clean and in like new condition.

Bill
I just started looking at Echo, so curious if you have any experience/comments about their under $200 rods?

brownbass

Reaction score
I just started looking at Echo, so curious if you have any experience/comments about their under $200 rods?
Yes, I have an Echo XL 8 weight I won it in a raffle. it is wearing a Redington Behemoth loaded with an Outbound Short. I haven't fished it too much but I like the way it cast. The only complaint I have is the weight of the rod but the less expensive rods tend to weigh more than the more expensive rods. One suggestion I have is to see if you can find a Hardy Shadow on closeout. I picked one up when I got back into fly fishing a few years back at a real deal and stupidly returned it because I was trout fishing more than bass fishing and wanted a new 5 weight. You might be able to find one for around $200. I haven't cast any others so that's all I can offer but a friend has a TFO Professional 2 he likes.

Bill

logang15

Reaction score
Their ion XL series are amazing and a lot of guides I know run them around here as cheaper musky and striped sticks for clients.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
You can get a Redington Predator for $299 Brand new, if you shop around you can get it for less.

Nice rod, i just bought the 7 wt for $190 brand new on ebay.

jc10

Reaction score
Their ion XL series are amazing and a lot of guides I know run them around here as cheaper musky and striped sticks for clients.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
THanks, I'm going to check that one out.

jr spey

Reaction score
No thanks, looking to get in at much lower price than that. Thanks anyway.
I guess I'm a bit confused. You asked for a rod under $300.00. You're offered a very fine rod for $300.00 and you want something MUCH lower than that. I'll bet slamin will sell his for $299.00 and that's under $300.00. Help me out here. I'm not trying to be a knob, I just don't get it.

jc10

Reaction score
I guess I'm a bit confused. You asked for a rod under $300.00. You're offered a very fine rod for $300.00 and you want something MUCH lower than that. I'll bet slamin will sell his for $299.00 and that's under $300.00. Help me out here. I'm not trying to be a knob, I just don't get it.
I think my request was for info about Echo rods under $200, I may have submitted my post in an incorrect thread. Surely, I had no intention of offending anyone on this forum. My apologies for any confusion I caused.

jr spey

Reaction score
I think my request was for info about Echo rods under $200, I may have submitted my post in an incorrect thread. Surely, I had no intention of offending anyone on this forum. My apologies for any confusion I caused.
Actually, the error appears to have been mine. I was sure you were the OP and even went back to re-read it, but didn't take the time to establish who the OP was. First of all, I wasn't offended, just confused. I now offer a sincere apology for screwing up. I haven't felt all that well today which gave me lots of time to sit at the computer, but I have to learn to just read on those days and not post. Again, I'm sorry for my mistake. By the way, I owned the original Echo Ion and it was a superb rod. I think at the time it was $190.00 and was better than some 10 weight musky rods three times its price.

jr spey

Reaction score
no prob . I am partial to BVK's .
I love them, too. 9 weight is a big jump from the 8 weight and many guys choose to upline both the 9 and the 10. I did and found it worked great for me in most situations. I also own some in the lighter line weights, and they seem to be fine with the designated line. Perhaps the most brittle rod I've ever owned, but still worth it, especially with TFO's warranty.

jc10

Reaction score

photoguy

Reaction score
^ Great!
I grabbed an 8 wt with a reel and line for ~ $200. Hoping to spend a little more time in the salt this year.