Winston Nexus 796-4 little use - Pro Guide's personal rod - $325/obo - Excellent!

Car7x

Reaction score
We just have too many rods (;/) I'm listing this for my guiding partner, he is obsessive about care of his gear. Very nice rod, my hand issues have got me almost all spey casting now or I'd buy it!

HIGHLIGHTS

New innovative rod action.
Combines legendary “Winston Action” with faster tapers through lower half of the rod.
“All-Around” rods able to generate line speeds to handle a range of wind conditions and fly sizes.
New 100% high modulus faster taper graphite fly rods providing significant material savings from our top- of-the-line high performance Boron III rods.
Lightweight, smooth-casting and powerful.
Feels light in the hand.
Made in Twin Bridges using the finest parts from the U.S. and around the world.
Beautiful deep-black finish, hand inscribed.
Comes in embroidered lightweight rod bag
Matching deep-black finish on lightweight aluminum tube with embossed Winston logo and brilliant gold cap and collar.

Fit and Finish

It only takes a glance to realize that the Nexus is packed with the same kind of quality that you’ve come to expect from Winston. It’s got a beautiful black blank (to distinguish it from the top of the line Boron rods) and a great wooden reel seat. It’s adorned with the usual chrome snake and stripping guides.
The grip was a cigar, but felt a bit larger than usual (just like the Passport). It’s very comfortable, particularly if you’ve got larger hands.
Distance

It’s no Sage Method, but it’s got plenty of power to get it out there. 80’ casts are no problem with the Nexus.
Accuracy

The Nexus is right up there with the best rods in terms of accuracy. In close, its soft tip is classically Winston and delivers top notch accuracy. The Nexus performs best, however, at about 40’ and that’s what makes it an excellent all-around trout rod. But the performance doesn’t stop there. It’s also a great rod at 60+’ and has excellent power and tracking.
Flex & Feel

The Nexus is a ‘fast’ rod, but not overly fast. It’s got a soft tip that loads well in close and protects those delicate tippets. It’s also got plenty of power in the butt and mid sections to get it out there when the wind comes up and fight that 24” brown.
Nymphing

I didn’t get to test this rod with a nymph rig, but it’s got the right blend of characteristics to be an awesome nymph stick. It’s got the power to throw a heavier rig into the wind and the user-friendliness to make it easy to open up your loop to avoid tangles.IMG_1576.jpg