Flies for AK. Salmon & Steelhead Fishing

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I have amended this thread to Salmon & Steelhead, because it is true that every fly on this thread will catch salmon. This thread is open for all of our members to post pictures and tying recipes for their favorite steelhead fly patterns. It is my intention to build a simple scroll down type of pattern list here.The flies we will post to this thread are more of the Pacific North West variety but then this the AK. forum thus the title of the thread. Please don't forget to include the tying recipe so others can use it.

[Note] This thread will be for member tied submissions so do not post links to other web sites. Postings with links will be removed. Please do not post comments to the thread; it is for submitting 'Your' steelhead fly pictures and recipes. If you would like to make comments post to the AK. General Discussion forum. Thank you for your cooperation and participation here.

I'll open this thread with a pair of related ties. Both of which are borrowed from the old North Eastern Streamer pattern the Nine Three. I made a few tweaks to the tying recipe about ten years ago and have since then called them 'Ard's Nine Three' in order to inform the viewer that they are not the original pattern. Since moving to Alaska these flies have been my single best producer for steelhead and rainbow trout!

Ard's Nine Three; feather wing streamer style

Recipe;

Hook: Long shank ring or ball eye streamer hook size 2 - 6
Tag: Flat silver tinsel
Butt: Black ostrich
Body: Flat silver tinsel, I like the old metal type for the weight factor
Throat: Sparse white buck tail hair
Wings: Two Olive saddles over which are two black saddles tied upright
Shoulder topping: Black crystal flash tied on both sides of fly, long
Cheeks: Jungle cock

Below: Ard's Nine Three Spey Dress;

Tying recipe;

Hook: A.J. Steelhead iron size 3
Body: Flat metallic silver tinsel ribbed with oval silver tinsel
Wing: Paired slips of goose shoulder feather dyed olive green
Collar: Goose shoulder bleach burned and dyed jet black wound spey style

Last edited:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Ard Stetts Patterns;

It looks like I had better prime the pump a little. Here is a sweet little number to show to the fish. This fly is the sister of the Alaskan Lady. The flies in this section are my own patterns. This is what I cast.

The Redhead;
[/IMG]

Tying Recipe;

Hook: A.J. Steelhead iron size #3
Tag: Flat Gold tinsel
Body: Dubbed with blended opossum, claret & black
Rib: Heavy French braid gold, ribbed over all; tag and body
Hackle: Goose shoulder feather bleach burned and dyed rusty red (Rite Dye)
Wing: An under-wing of polar bear or similar white hair, veiled with brown mallard flank
Head: Finished with bright red / orange lacquer paint

Alaskan Lady

[/IMG]

Tying;

Hook: AJ Steelhead Iron size three
Tail: Gold pheasant crest dyed crimson
Body: Bone white silk or rayon floss
Rib: Silver oval French twist tinsel
Hackle: Bleached goose shoulder feather
Wing: Polar Bear
Head: Black thread

The Spey Ghost;

Another fly that has a very slim silhouette when on the swing. Having had good luck with a standard Gray Ghost on the spring run fish I morphed one to make it a little more interesting in the vise. The tie has proven as effective as the feather wing original thus far.

[/IMG]

Tying;

Hook: Your choice, I use either Partridge or Jackson in a #2
Thread: Black 08
Body: Orange floss ribbed with first a palmer dk. blue dunn hackle and over-wound with oval silver tinsel or wire
Belly: White buck tail or polar bear if you have it. I place a golden pheasant crest under the hair for aesthetic value only
Wing: Two matched slips of dyed gray goose shoulder feather topped with golden pheasant if you like
Hackle: Burnt goose dyed as blue dunn tied long as the hook to provide a nice sweeping profile when wet
Cheeks: Jungle cock eyes secured in a downward fashion, your preference
Head: Black

Crimson Knight; an attractor pattern for fresh run steelhead/trout.

[/IMG]

Tying;

Hook: Single salmon
Thread: Black
Tag: Flat gold tinsel
Tip Crimson silk or floss extending forward a bit long
Body: rear half a blend of dark crimson and black opossum or similar, front half is black opossum dubbed thicker and picked out
Ribbing: A palmered scarlet red hackle over-wound with gold oval tinsel or wire
Hackle: Jet black goose shoulder, or your choice of spey hackle in black
Wing: As a topping over the hackle place a matched pair of jungle cock cape feathers

The Amber Knight; a variation of the crimson pattern also a good attractor for swinging the swift lies.

[/IMG]

Tying;

Hook: Single salmon
Tag: Silver French twist tinsel (fine)
Tip: Amber silk or floss wound long
Body: Rear is amber dubbing fur, front is a blend of black with strands from Estaz chenille mixed in
Ribbing: A golden saddle hackle palmered and over-wound with oval silver tinsel or wire
Hackle: Jet black goose shoulder or your choice of spey hackle
Wing: As a topping over the hackle place a matched pair of jungle cock cape feathers

Tomahawk; you no doubt know about the many egg ties that are out there and will notice that I don't include any. I'm a hard head about what I tie to the end of my leader. The next two patterns are designed for medium depth waters where you need to skim the bottom but eschew using split shot. The wire bodies will get the flydown nicely.

Tomahawk;

[/IMG]

Tying;

Hook: AJ steelhead iron #3 or #4 single salmon
Tag: Gold tinsel
Tip: Black floss or silk
Butt: Peacock herl
Body: Wound tightly with medium copper wire at the front of which build a shoulder of peacock herl
Wing: Matched pair of golden pheasant tail slips
Collar: Hackle is burnt mallard dyed brown

The Knife;

[/IMG]

Hook: AJ steelhead iron #3
Tag: Claret floss, lacquered to provide strength
Body: Medium silver wire
Hackle: Burnt goose shoulder dyed red
Wing: Black goose shoulder sections

A pair of Highlander variations

Some flies just belong in your box or wallet and whether you fish Atlantic's, Pacific's or those big lakes inbetween you ought to have a few Green Highlanders just for the heck of it. There's nothing like tying on a classic and lett'en er swing.

[/IMG]

Tying;

Hook: Single salmon #2 - 6
Tag: Oval silver tinsel
Tip: Golden floss
Tail: Golden pheasant crest
Body: Rear half golden floss, front is dubbed olive fur and palmered with an olive hackle
Ribbing: Oval silver tinsel over all tying in the palmered olive hackle
Under wing: A pair of Golden pheasent tippets
Collar: Very sparse but long chartreuse green spey hackle
Wing / Topping: A sparse mix of drab olive and yellow buck tail hair

[/IMG]

Tying;

Tag: Flat narrow silver tinsel
Tail: Golden pheasant chrest
Body: Rear is golden yellow floss, front is dubbed with bright green wool and palmered with a lemon yellow hackle
Ribbing: Oval silver tinsel over the palmered hackle on front only
Under wing: A pair of golden pheasant tippets
Wing: Sparse yellow buck tail topped with sparse Monga Ring tail dyed bright green

The Stranger;

Here the steelhead trout feeds on salmon fry while in the rivers and brown black combos are always in style. This fly is suggestive of numerous prey forms the big trout feed on.

[/IMG]

Tying;

Hook: Single salmon, 1.5 is a nice size
Thread: black
Tag: Flat Gold tinsel
Tail: Dyed GP crest, claret red
Body: Rear two thirds chocolate brown floss, front is dubbed light brown wool & palmered with a claret hackle
Rib: Narrow oval gold tinsel is wound over all tying down the palmered hackle
Wing: A pair of jet black goose shoulder sections
Hackle: Rich brown spey hackle, your choice

Beowulf;

Another of my wire body low water patterns. I hate to cast a split shot and the copper takes the fly down perfectly when fished on a floating line.

[/IMG]

Tying;

Tip: Black floss
Tail: Gold GP crest
Body: Rear two thirds wound copper wire, Front is heavy peacock herl palmered with a Lt. blue dunn hackle
Wing: Golden Pheasant tail sections
Hackle: Lt. blue dunn spey hackle; Note this hackle is a bit short for the hook but will surfice.

The Bush Doctor;

Definitely an attractor pattern, this is the Alaskan relative of the Atlantic salmon fly, Silver Doctor. Not a bad fly for Pacific Silver Salmon either.

Tying;

Hook: Single salmon #3
Tip: Doctor blue floss
Butt: Dyed ostrich, red
Body: Wide flat silver tinsel ribbed with oval silver tinsel
Hackle: Silver Doctor blue spey hackle
Wing: Silver Fox body hair
Head: Switch to 05 red silk and finish with multiple coats of lacquerer to achieve a beautiful garnet like finish

The Cooper Creek;

I have tied and fished both the Rail Bird and the Improved Governor for steelhead and trout for years. Last season I morphed those patterns to form the Cooper Creek. The fly took several rainbow and some plump Dolly Varden just upstream of the area where its namesake 'Cooper Creek' flows into the Kenai River. I look forward to further testing this season.

[/IMG]

Tying;

Hook: Steelhead Iron #3
Tag: Gold French braid tinsel
Tip: Actually the rear half of the hook shank, claret floss ribbed with oval gold French tinsel
Tail: Amherst pheasant crest at the mid point where the long tip meets the front body material
Body: Front section built with 4 peacock herls, these are palmered with a Lt. brown spey hackle and ribbed with heavy gold French tinsel
Wing: 5 or 6 peacock herls
Collar:A long deep red saddle hackle
Shoulders: A pair of jungle cock eyes are mounted with a distinct upward angle giving the little fly a perky appearance

The Coburn Special; Here's another Atlantic pattern that found it's way North West. I use a little different approach than the East Coast version but the similarities are obvious. This is another dual purpose fly that I have caught both trout and Pacific Silver Salmon on the tie.

[/IMG]

Tying;

TAg: Fine oval silver tinsel or wire
Body: Chartreuse floss with a waist joint of black ostrich herl
Wing: I have used Black Bear hair
Hackle: Spey hackle your choice in chartreuse

KISS Gray Spey; Keeping it simple sometimes is the best approach. I like to be able to show a fish a bunch of colors, however if they are not impressed with the flashy stuff some basic earth tones help to round out the offerings.

[/IMG]

Tying:

Tail: A little puff of gray marabou
Body: Gray wool with a waist joint of gray spey hackle at the mid point of the body
Rib: In front of the waist I wrap black tinsel just to satisfy my urge to complicate things, skip it if you like
Wing: Two black hackle tips
Hackle: Gray spey hackle
Your done, and they work well on rainy days.

Rail Bird;

[/IMG]

Tying;

Hook: Short shank having a wide bend, this is a size 4 but I tie down to an 8 on these for low water
Tail: A long Amherst pheasant crest or hackle tip in claret red
Body: Red silk ribbed with a palmered claret hackle
WIng: Grey Fox body hair or similar
Collar: Lemmon yellow saddle hackle tied back
Cheeks: The ever popular Jungle Cock

Little Olive Spey: I've been tying these awhile and have always created many original patterns. Here's a circa 1985 fly in unused condition from one of my boxes. I tied these for Great Lakes steelhead summer fishing on the Salmon River of New York.

[/IMG]

Tying;

Hook: single salmon #8
Butt: Generous wind of two peacock herls
Body: Olive green floss palmered with olive spey hackle and ribbed with fine gold wire to secure the hackle
Wing: mMatched golden badger hackle tips
Head: Olive silk

Another KISS Patern, Brown Spey;

[/IMG]

Tying;

Hook Single salmon #2 - 6
Tag: Flat copper tinsel
Tip: Olive floss
Body: Olive Leach Yarn palmered with a dyed (brown) mallard flank feather
Rib: Embossed copper tinsel over all and securing the palmered duck feather
Hackle: Collar it with a long fibered mallard flank feather dyed brown. Hint, burn yours better than I did this one and you will get better action in the water

Last edited:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Some More Well Known Patterns;

If you have not read the text of the first post to this thread, please do. I am working on a thread that will supply us with a scroll down fly pattern catalog and would welcome the help of members. You can post a pattern and then continue to add patterns to that post forming your own group of patterns in the catalog. Here is an old favorite for steelhead.

The Green Butt Skunk; spey dress

[/IMG]

Tying;

Hook: #4 single salmon
Tip: Light green floss ribbed with flat silver tinsel
Tail: A bunch of red hackle fibers
Body: Black dubbing (choice) palmered with a black saddle hackle and ribbed with heavy oval silver tinsel
Collar: Guinea hackle
Wing: White Skunk hair

Umpqua Special;

[/IMG]

Tying;

Hook: #2 single salmon
Tail: White buck tail
Body: Rear half yellow wool or spun fur, front half red wool or fur
Rib: Flat silver tinsel
Wing: white & red buck tail stacked
Collar: Medium brown hackle tied back

Skykomish Sunrise; Everyone has heard of this one and you should tie some.

[/IMG]

Tying;

Hook: Single salmon #2
Tail: Orange & yellow hackle barbs, stacked
Body: Reddish orange wool, chenille, or spun fur ribbed with heavy gold tinsel
Wing: White buck tail or Polar Bear
Collar: Orange and yellow hackles wound in that order, orange first.
Head: Red

White Wing Akroyd; a difficult tie but the pattern has proven itself as a producer. It does lend a finishing touch to the steelhead box.

[/IMG]

Tying:

Hook: I use a #3 steelhead Iron here
Tag: Flat gold tinsel long
Tail: A bunch of golden pheasant tippet fibers over which is a gold pheasant crest
Body: Rear, lemon yellow dubbing, front is black dubbing
Ribbing: Wrap the front (black) body with a black spey hackle then wrap a heavy oval gold tinsel over the whole body
Collar: Long mallard flank
Cheeks: Jungle cock angling down a bit as shown
Wing: Over all is a white pair of quill slips turkey or goose

Freight Train;

[/IMG]

Tying;

Hook: Single salmon Partridge #4
Tail: Dyed purple hackle fibers
Body: Rear is split (half orange floss half red floss), front is black chenille
Rib: Medium oval silver tinsel
Hackle: Purple hackle tied down
Wing: White calf tail

While I have a handfull of those purple feathers handy..................

Signal Light Spey;

[/IMG]

Tying;

Hook: I use a Jackson #3 Steelhead Iron, these are about the same size as a Partridge #4 but heavier.
Tag: Flat silver
Body: Rear = orange floss, Mid = yellow floss, Front = black chenille
Rib: Over the two floss sections with narrow oval in silver
Hackle: Palmer the chenille with three turns of a purple spey feather, then wind two turns of black marabou as a collar
Wing: top the fly with 4 matched black hackles as the wing.
Head: Black

The Black Herron Spey:

[/IMG]

Tying;

Hook: I use a Partridge #4 here
Body: Rear 2/3 flat silver tinsel (the metallic kind) Front 1/3 is dubbed black seal substitute. Rib it all with oval silver tinsel
Hackle: Black Heron substitute, collared with Guinea fowl that is tied down as a throat.
Wing: A pair of black goose quill sections

Note: The design of this fly is for it to have rather long and flowing hackle fibers. I have used a prepped marabou quill that I dyed and stripped for this dressing. The fly sort of reminds me of one of my original creations 'Ard's Nine Three Spey'. I like the Black Herron and they aren't that hard to tie so go for it.

Sol Duc Spey; Glasso pattern

[/IMG]

Tying;

Hook: #2 single spey
Body; Rear half orange floss, Front half orange spun fur or dubbing of choice, this is spun fur.
Rib: Flat silver tinsel followed with a yellow spey hackle, then with oval tinsel to help secure hackle
Collar: Black saddle hackle
Wing: Four matched hackle tips - orange

Santiam Spectrum;

[/IMG]

Here is another tied more full; these have been catching some nice Char for me here.

Tying;

Hook: AJ. #2
Tag: Half silver, half gold, flat tinsel
Body: Rear is red floss, front is dark purple dubbed hair, your choice
Ribbing: Flat gold counter wrapped with oval tinsel
Hackle: Purple spey feather
Collar: Purple saddle with Teal flank
Under wing: 2 strands each of red, pink, and orange floss
Wing: Brown mallard flank

Good luck with that, I don't find these easy to tie.

Last edited:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
The Coal Car

Another established pattern for steelhead and salmon. Many of the flies in the steelhead thread are in fact dual purpose flies when applied to Silver Salmon. The silvers are very likely to hit a fly that is swung near and this is one of them. Not my best effort at tying a fly but it is new and gives the general idea of the look when in the vise.

Coal Car

[/IMG]

Tying;

Hook: Single salmon #2 - 6, here I have a size 5
Tail: Black hackle barbs
Body: Bright pink with a small bright red behind a build of black chenille
Ribbing: Oval silver
Wing: A few strands of black Krystal Flash topped with black squirrel tail, (note) I use Black Bear here
Collar: A black hackle tied back
Head: Black, try to make it a little neater than mine here

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
The Flesh Fly

All over Alaska when the salmon stream into the rivers and creeks a contingent of really large Rainbow Trout seem to tag along. Are these really steelhead or simply big trout that dwell somewhere that keeps them safe from hook or view until their sea faring cousins come home to spawn? Some of my fishing grounds are way to close to the salt for me to believe that these trout have never tasted it, but does it really matter? As the salmon die off and pieces of meat are drifting in the channels this will attract the steelhead / trout for you as well as an egg. The one in my picture is used and has caught fish.

For late summer and fall fishing drifting one of these will bring more than one fish to shore. I try to keep them bouncing the bottom in deep runs and fish high stick style in shallow ones. Remember, Dead Drift like an egg.

The Flesh Fly

[/IMG]

Tying;

Hook: Long shank streamer hook or single salmon sizes 1 - 6
Tail: A large bunch of red hackle fibers or red yarn or red bunny strip
Body: I wrap 10 turns of lead wire before dressing with lightly bleached brown bunny fur
Head: Tan mono cord with lacquer
(Note) you can find bunny strips at your fly shop or order them. You need not mess around bleaching your own.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Steve's Green Butt;

A pattern created by Steve Burk of Washington state and added to my box as soon as I discovered it. My renditions are a little fuller in the hackle than those of the originator. Steve is a dedicated steel-header with a knack for developing good ties.

Steve's Green Butt;

Tie it;

Hook: Partridge #4 single
Tag: Medium flat silver
Body: Rear is Chartreuse chenille, Front is black chenille
Hackle: That is a rump feather from a ring neck pheasant, palmered on the front quarter of the black chenille
Rib: Flat silver over the black front section and over the feather quill to protect from teeth
Wing: Natural bronze mallard
[Tying tip] Be sure to lacquerer the butt of that mallard wing or they will come off during use

Last edited:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Thunder & Lightning;

Another pattern many of us have heard of but perhaps not seen lately. This fly is more commonly tied with a long orange throat and brown buck tail for the wing. I have accentuated the orange here and minimized the brown by using turkey for the wing. I like the long flowing hair like feathers and fish like orange.

Thunder & Lightning;

[/IMG]

Tie one;

Hook: This is a size three
Tail: I use two gold pheasant crest
Body: Black wool yarn or spun fur
Hackle: I start an orange spey hackle on the shoulder area of the body and wind forward finishing it as a collar
Rib: Medium French Braid (easy to work with) in silver
Wing: Dark molted turkey or brown buck tail, choice
Cheeks: Jungle cock, I angle these down like little peck fins

Thunder & Lightning conventional pattern tie;

This is the original pattern showing the buck tail wing and hackle throat.

[/IMG]

Tie one;
Hook: Single salmon size 4 here
Tail: G.P. crest
Body: Black spun fur or yarn this is spun fur shown
Rib: I use French Braid in silver, pattern calls for flat silver but.......
Throat: A bunch of long soft hackle barbs in orange
Wing: Brown buck tail
Cheek: J.C.

Last edited:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Thor steelhead version;

A true dual purpose fly for Salmon & Trout; for Steelhead / Trout fishing I like a slightly smaller hook thus a smaller fly. This is not to say that the fish will not slam a large fly but sometimes smaller is better. The Daiichi Alec Jackson hooks run smaller than their cousins in the standard salmon and steelhead hook lines. This fly is tied on a size three but would be comparable to a #6 in some single salmon irons.

Thor;

[/IMG]

Tie one;

Hook: Daiichi 2055 #3 gold
Tail: Red wool yarn / per Franks preference
Body: Claret yarn or dubbing, I dub this body and build to suite
Hackle: A nice full Dk. Brown saddle hackle as a collar and swept back a bit
Wing: White calf tail

[Note:] You may notice that I make little distinction between trout and steelhead when writing about the applications of a fly. This stems from the fact that many of the indigenous rainbow trout visit the Ocean Inlets and grow to a very large size. Whether or not they are actually a pure genetic steelhead makes little difference when you hook into a trout having the same proportions as a Coho Salmon, this is my rational.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Sunshine Su;

By now you have guessed that I just make this up as I go. I tie flies and then each year I go to see what will catch a fish. This tie is meant to be fished in the riffles and I know right where to test it. I understand that not all our members have either all the materials that I use in some of my creations or have reached the level of tying where these would be fun to produce. I post them to the list to inspire you to experiment and expand your fly tying horizons. I hope it's working.

Sunshine Su;

[/IMG]

Tie it;

Hook: I use Partridge Bartleet #4 here
Tip: Claret floss long
Tail: Crest feather of an Amherst Pheasant
Butt; Black ostrich
Mid body: Orange yellow floss
Front body: Dark claret dubbing
Hackle: A bright yellow spey hackle palmered over the claret dubbing and collared back
Ribbing: Medium French Braid silver over the mid body and covering the feather quill for strength
Throat: Very dark red / claret hackle fibers long and soft
Wing: Golden Pheasant tail matched sections

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Chester's Spey ;

The first acquaintance I made while fishing for steelhead really liked my streamer 'The Grand Laker' so I made a couple for Chester. When I started to use more of a soft hackle 'Spey' style on some of the flies I Incorporated the color concepts of the feather wing streamers that were productive. The results are seen in the flies that are posted here, (the ones you've never heard of) here is another.

Chester's Spey;

[/IMG]

How to;

Hook: I use gold or bronze #5
Tag: Fine gold French Braid tinsel
Tip: Burnt orange floss
Butt: Olive Ostrich herl
Body: Olive brown floss
Ribbing: First a rib of burnt orange floss followed by the fine French Braid, these are wound over the stem of the hackle also
Hackle: A brown spey hackle
Throat: Olive hackle collared and tied down to form the throat
Wing: Bronzed mallard
Cheek: J.C.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Green Top;

Simple tie and a little something to aid you in seeing the fly given the right conditions. Fish seem to like dark brown and black flies but swinging a fly to the target when you can't see the fly can lead to problems.

Green Top;

[/IMG]

Tying;

Hook; AJ Steelhead Iron #3
Body: Rear is Black floss Front is built up with black sparkle dubbing
Rib: Fine
Throat: A piece of Orvis Poly Flash Tubing unraveled
Wing / Veil: Small bunch of black Crystal Flash
Hackle: Black goose
Topping: Light chartreuse green Monga Ringtail or similar soft dyed fur

Note: I make these with orange and white tops also. Depending on the weather conditions / visibility all work fine on the rainbows. Or, just tie on a Thor............

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Caroline;

I have added this fly to my boxes and so turned out a few in fishing grade. Lady Caroline is the given name of this old pattern. My tie is not true to form in its materials used and I will list as it is tied.

L. Caroline, 2 Interpretations;

Long Wings with Ringneck Rump;

[/IMG]

Tying;

Hook: Partridge #4 Bartleet
Tag: Gold embossed tinsel
Tail: Fibers of a golden pheasant breast feather
Body: A blend of olive and brown silk floss
Hackle: This is a pair of Ringneck rump feathers, 1 brown, 1 a tad blue
Ribbing: Bring the embossed tinsel forward and follow with fine silver French twist, counter wind over the hackle.
Wing: Bronze mallard

Short Tight Wing With Blue Earred Pheasant Hackle;

[/IMG]

Purple Spey Fly;

[/IMG]

Hook: AJ 1.5
Tag: Embossed silver tinsel
Tip: Making up the rear half of the body, wine colored floss
Body: Front Is dubbed with a mixed wine and black sparkle dub
Ribbing: Embossed silver tinsel wound forward to cover the hackle quill
Hackle: A very dark purple marabou strip
Collar: A long black saddle hackle
Wing: Bronzed mallard on top of all

Fairy Shrimp;

[/IMG]

Tying;

Hook:partridge Bartleet #4
Tag: One or two turns of braided French tinsel
Tip / rear 2/3 of body pink floss
Body: Front 1/3 shrimp pink ultra chenille
Hackle: Burnt goose dyed fairly dark pink
Rib: Oval French silver
Collar: Guinea flank
Wing: Matched bronzed mallard flank

Black & Gold Spey Fly;

[/IMG]

Hook: Partridge Bartleet size 4
Tail: Silver pheasant rump feather fibers
Body: Olive & brown dubbing
Hackle: Rump feather from a silver pheasant
Rib: Embossed silver tinsel
Collar: Rump feather from a golden pheasant
Wing: Bronzed mallard

Olive & Brown

[/IMG]

Hook: #4 Bartleet
Body: 3/4 light olive floss front 1/4 olive dubbing
Hackle: Olive spey hackle your choice
Collar: This is a rump feather from a ring neck pheasant
Rib: Fine silver French braid oval
Wing: Matched slips of bronzed mallard

Munster;

[/IMG]

Tying;

Hook: Gold AJ #3
Body: Rear 2/3 florescent green floss front claret dubbing
Hackle: Purple spey feather over dubbing & a throat of purple marabou
Rib: Fine silver oval over all
Wing: Dyed brown mallard

I spent a couple days camped on a river last week. I was hoping to find salmon or the steelies that travel with them but that was not to be the case. I did however find that a fly like the one posted below was really good for Char and I had a hard time keeping them off the hook. They weren't large but I was more than happy to see them.

Very Simple Fly;

[/IMG]

Hook: Daiichi 2151 #2
Body: Wind the hook with flat silver and dub the front 1/4 with brown fur
Hackle: Wind a Pheasant rump feather over that brown fur
Rib: Wind fine silver wire or oval strand over body and bind down the Pheasant feather
Wing: I tied two Golden Pheasant breast feathers in as under wing and topped with dyed mallard.

This would probably be good for trout and char anywhere if tied in smaller sizes. Here it looks like a great char fly.

Last edited:

wovenstonefly

Reaction score
Re: Flies for AK. Steelhead Fishing

That's a beautiful list of flies. I'm new here and figured this is a good place to start. Here are a couple of mine I have been working on for steelhead.

Hook: Alec Jackson size 3
Tip: silver oval tinsel
Tag: orange silk floss
Tail: red golden pheasant crest
Body: 1/2 Purple silk floss, 1/2 purple seal
Rib: pearl Mylar, and silver oval tinsel
Hackle: Purple Schlapen
Collar: peacock body feather
Wing: Purple hackle tips (under), Blue, Claret, Purple, black Goose shoulder, Turkey Tail feather.
Cheeks: jungle cock nails

Hook: Alec Jackson
Tag:light blue silk floss
Body: rear 1/3 blue floss front 2/3 blue seal
Hackle: Blue Schlapen
Rib: silver oval tinsel
Collar: blue Guinea fowl
Wing: blue Grizzly hackle tips

A couple years ago I spent a week floating the Tal. While on that trip I met a guy who was fishing this muddler and killing it. It's not as pretty as most of the other flies on this thread but is works really really good on rainbows

Tail: Turkey wing
Body: Pearl diamond braid
Wing; Zonked rabbit
Legs: White rubber
Head: spun deer hair

Reactions: Ard

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
The Changing Season;

As fall begins to take shape steelhead / trout and char will be all that is left in my rivers and creeks. These flies will be tested soon.

Copper Green Ultra;

[/IMG]

This is a pattern meant to be fished on floating line and to represent food.

Tying it:

Hook: Daiichi AJ. #5
Tag: Bright green Ultra Wire
Body: Embossed copper foil
Hackle: Dk. Olive Rhea
Rib: Bring the green Ultra Wire forward and use it to clinch down the Rhea stem
Collar: Purple Marabou
Wing: Over all, two slips of Bronze Mallard flank

Very fishy fly.

Simple Shiner;

[/IMG]

Tying it:

Hook: Daiichi AJ. #5
Tag: Flat Copper Braided tinsel
Body: Silver floss double wrapped
Hackle: Blue Eared Pheasant rump feather
Rib: Bring the copper braid forward and clinch down the BEP stem as you go
Throat: A very short Rufus (red brown) wood duck breast feather
Collar: Lemon Wood Duck
Wing: Two slips of Bronze Mallard over all

Carron Style;

[/IMG]

Tying it:

Hook: Partridge Bartleet #4
Tag: Flat Gold Foil
Body: Red Antron spooled yarn
Hackle: Burnt Goose
Rib: Flat gold foil brought forward and clinching the hackle stem as you go
Counter rib: Fine Silver tinsel (round) also over the hackle stem
Collar: Guinea Hackle
Wing: Two slips Bronze Mallard over all

Carron in Orange & Black;

[/IMG]

Tying;

Hook: Alec Jackson Spey
Tag: Silver embossed tinsel foil
Body: Light orange floss
Hackle: Long black rhea herl tied very full here
Rib: Flat silver embossed foil
Counter wire: Gold wire
Collar: Gueinea
Wing: Bronze mallard

Same fly, different hook & hackle;

A couple subtule changes give you a much sleeker fly. Hook is smaller and the hackle is blue eared pheasant.

[/IMG]

How bout one with a few changes?

[/IMG]

Tying;

Come on, you can figure that out. The higher wing will give you a much better profile when you're trying to say "Food"

Purple has worked well for me this year so I have dyed some hackles and picked up some new dubbing. This fly will catch fish;

Hot Purple Dubbed Spey style;

[/IMG]

That is loose dubbing wrapped around the tipping, I will see how long that floss tip lasts when this gets chomped a few times.

Here's a feather wing version of the same colors.

[/IMG]

If you need materials information send a PM and I will post recipes for any flies that do not have one posted.

Black & Blue Tent Wing;

This type wing is very resilient and helps the fly have a good meaty look.

[/IMG]

Red & Black Mohair; Very effective fall / winter color combo for trout & char.

[/IMG]

Body is mohair yarn, palmer hackle is claret, collar hackle is rhea fibers, wing dyed mallard bronze to black. This basic design of tie always stays upright on the swing and takes on a bullet shape in the current. I don't know if it is color or shape that makes it a good tie but fish like the fly.

Last edited:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Time to add some new stuff;

Marty's Wet Fly;

[/IMG]

Pattern compliments of Marty Howard

Recipe;

Hook: #6 Salmon hook
Tail: Gold Pheasant tippets
Rear body: Salmon pink floss
Front body: Purple & blue sparkle dub
Ribbing: Oval silver
Collar: Purple hackle your choice, I use goose
Wing: A sparse clump of white bear or similar white fur, lacquer it before finishing the head

Tweaked a Bit, Purple Feather Wing;

[/IMG]

Hook: #6 Salmon
Tag: Same
Tail: Dyed Amherst tippets
Body: Same rear
Body: Big gob of purple dubbing
Ribbing: Same
Wing: White feathers from a cape, 4 of them
Cheek: Jungle cock
Collar: Purple hackle

December's Fly;

[/IMG]

Recipe:

Hook: This is on a #6
Body: Black marabou silk or similar
Ribbing: Purple silk floss followed by oval gold tinsel (just for fun)
Hackle: Purple hackle (long) is wound on the front third of the body and secured by the ribbing
Wing: A pair of Amherst pheasant tippets dyed purple over which are 4 black hackles taken from a cape and fixed with jungle cock eyes
Collar: Black saddle hackle (long) and tied back when finishing the head

PM if you want tying recipe on this;

[/IMG]

Wingless Still water Attractor;

[/IMG]

Recipe; This was tied for still water and pools.

Hook: This is a #6
Tag: flat gold tinsel
Tip: Pink floss
Tail: Amherst pheasant crest
For tipping: Burgundy floss
Body: Black floss
Hackle: very long burnt goose dyed purple
Rib: Oval gold brought forward over the goose quill to secure it
Collaring: First golden pheasant tail fibers tied symmetrically then natural guinea fowl

White Ranger;

[/IMG]

Hook: This is a #4
Tag: Fine oval tinsel
Tip: Burgandy floss
Tail: Amherst Crest
Butt: White ostrich herl
Body: Black marabou silk or similar on rear 2/3 of body black spun fur to build the front 1/3
Wing: A pair of amherst tippets over which are 4 hackles from a cape and dyed claret and fixed with jungle cock
Collaring: Whitting's Bird Fur (white hackle) and Black schlapplen in front tied back

You can pretty much see how this is made from the same materials as the fly above except it has amherst crest horns. Make you think anything will catch a salmon in Alaska huh?

[/IMG]

Black Cross;

[/IMG]

Tying;
Hook: Daiichi 2051 choice
Tag: Oval silver
Tail: Gold pheasant
Butt: Ostrich here but I am going to switch to goose in the future
Body: Rear is black marabou silk or yarn front 1/3 is mohair yarn
Ribs: Two strips of embossed silver wound in opposing symmetry on rear of body, Oval gold on front
Hackle: Goose or schalapplen wound on front of body
Throat: Guinea wound and tied down
Wing: Black Goose with jungle cock cheek
Collar: Black hackle

Sorcerer;

[/IMG]

Tying;
Hook: Partridge # 4 or 6
Tag; Oval gold
Tail: Gold pheasant
Butt: Ostrich
Body: Copper tinsel rear 2/3
Front: Black dubbing or spun fur
Hackle: Black over front of body
Rib: Oval gold
Wing: Black goose with jungle cock
Collar: Guinea

This is simply a hair wing version of the fly;

[/IMG]

Many of these are new patterns and remain untested but I believe all will catch our fish here.

Recipes soon.....................

Orange Cross;

[/IMG]

Hook: This is a Partridge Bartleet #4
Tial: Orange hackle fibers
Body: Rear 2/3 black marabou silk Cross / Counter ribbed with Gold foil tinsel
Body: Front 1/3 is hackled with black burnt goose and Cross ribbed with oval silver overtop the hackle stem
Collar: Guinea foul
Beard: Orange hackle fibers
Wing: Orange Goose sections with jungle cock eyes

Salmon Fly;

[/IMG]

Hook: Partridge Bartleet #6
Tag: Small oval silver
Tail: Your choice, this is a sort of pheasant crest. It is not dyed and I have had them over 30 years, I don't know what bird they came from
Butt: Ostrich black
Body: Rear 2/3 = Flat silver embossed foil with oval Rainbow Sparkle braid
Body: Front 1/3 = Burgundy Mohair hackled with burnt silver doctor burnt goose
Collar: Claret red hackle
Wing: Black goose wing quill sections with jungle cock eye

Char Fin, this has been tested and is a great color combo for char and salmon.

[/IMG]

Hook: Diaichii 2050 size 1.5
Tag: Flat silver foil
Body: Rear 2/3 Black marabou silk Palmered with a stiff saddle hackle tip and over wound with medium oval silver
Front: Black mohair hackled with black marabou over wound with medium gold oval tinsel
Throat: Equal bunches of orange, black, and white hackle fibers
Collar: Gadwall flank
Wing: Equal married sections of orange, black, and white goose wing quill

Last edited:

Pocono

Reaction score
Ard, they're all very nice patterns.

I particularlly like #'s 5 and 6 (same pattern?); I haven't seen that kind of sparse dressing on a Salmon/Steelhead fly before. The Guinea Fowl collar hackle really sets them up. I bet they'll be very effective with a lot of action in the water. Are they tied on smaller hooks? I ask because of the length of the hackle past the bend.

Number 8 is also particularly nice; I've gotten so that I really like the whole feather wing patterns; GP, Lady Anherst or other.

Pocono

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
This fly was tied while I was participating in last winter's Salmon Fly Tie Along thread hosted by our member Pocono. It is called the Jock O' Dee, since I began fishing with it this fall it has caught trout, salmon, char and grayling in great numbers. Of course I have made more even though they weren't an easy tie.

The complete recipe and tying instruction can be found on page 45 of the thread and you can find it in the General Fly Tying Discussion forum here http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/f...iscussions/42823-salmon-fly-tie-along-45.html You will need to scroll through the thread from this point to reach the tying step by step photos. I highly recommend this as a trout & salmon streamer, don't be afraid to make that hackle long!

This is a split wing Dee style fly and it works very well.

[/IMG]

Last edited:

bigtel

Reaction score
Re: Flies for AK. Steelhead Fishing

That's a beautiful list of flies. I'm new here and figured this is a good place to start. Here are a couple of mine I have been working on for steelhead.

Hook: Alec Jackson size 3
Tag: orange silk floss
Tail: red golden pheasant crest
Body: 1/2 Purple silk floss, 1/2 purple seal
Rib: pearl Mylar, and silver oval tinsel
Hackle: Purple Schlapen
Collar: peacock body feather
Wing: Purple hackle tips (under), Blue, Claret, Purple, black Goose shoulder, Turkey Tail feather.
Cheeks: jungle cock nails

Hook: Alec Jackson
Tag:light blue silk floss
Body: rear 1/3 blue floss front 2/3 blue seal
Hackle: Blue Schlapen
Rib: silver oval tinsel
Collar: blue Guinea fowl
Wing: blue Grizzly hackle tips

A couple years ago I spent a week floating the Tal. While on that trip I met a guy who was fishing this muddler and killing it. It's not as pretty as most of the other flies on this thread but is works really really good on rainbows

Tail: Turkey wing
Body: Pearl diamond braid
Wing; Zonked rabbit
Legs: White rubber
Head: spun deer hair
that muddler looks the dogs bo**ocks
cracking fly :)

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
The Alaska threads have languished while I have been involved in the General forum business, I intend to update information here for the year 2017.

Many things have changed in my approach to how I'm catching the various species here since this fly thread was established. One major change is that for years I've been producing the AK. Assassin and other patterns using Pro Tube components and fishing with tube flies. Used on all species except Grayling the tubes are doing an outstanding job.

First up is the Wilkinson Sunray variant.

Primarily a steelhead pattern but catching many rainbow trout and silver salmon also with these. They are simple to construct as follows.

Pro Tube 40mm in Black
15 or 20mm Flexi Weight in silver depending on required depth.
Wind a ball of Black Polar Ice Dub in front of the Flex Weight
Wing is tied in three layers all sparse, Magenta Arctic Fox - Blue AF. with Black Angora Goat long on top.
Topping is 6 - 8 long Peacock Herls.

These can be tied with or without a color, when I color I use Schlappen or Marabou, if I collar them I use a Pro Tube Sonicdisc cones. I don't really believe in their sonic ability but can agree they add to the action of collar & wing by creating turbulence when in use.

There are always a good number of these in my boxes.

To learn how I fish these and all my flies visit my website at Fishing with Ard Stetts | Fly and Spey fishing in Alaska. Once you are there move to the Alaska Flies & Rivers Blog and scroll down to find both articles and video explanations of how I fish.

This is not about my being a guide here in AK. it's about techniques that may be helpful to you wherever you fish. However, if you are coming to Alaska in the future it will help to be prepared in getting your flies down deep enough to connect with fish. 99% of the problems I see or have myself resonate from one of 2 things. Either you aren't deep enough or you're too deep and snagged to the bottom every other cast.

The articles and video have titles that should be easy to find. More patterns on tubes soon.

Ard