Hairwing530, Might you consider?........

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
Hi Hairwing530;

I wonder if you might consider in the near future offering up perhaps sets of streamers? I don't know, call it a Streamer-30/40 or whatever. Yet sets of streamers that range in size good for perhaps a 4wt. (smaller end) up to 7wt. (large end) range of things?...Not really surface types yet more subsurface classic streamers?

B.E.F.

popperhopper

Reaction score
Hi Hairwing530;

I wonder if you might consider in the near future offering up perhaps sets of streamers? I don't know, call it a Streamer-30/40 or whatever. Yet sets of streamers that range in size good for perhaps a 4wt. (smaller end) up to 7wt. (large end) range of things?...Not really surface types yet more subsurface classic streamers?

B.E.F.

Great minds think alike. I just asked about this in a PM. Also for that same WT range and amount.

What are your thoughts on patterns?

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on patterns?
That would entail having knowledge of such things.....and after 10 years of not tying anymore, I'm hard pressed to remember. However, I'm thinking not so much of "classic" salmon flies. More of longer feathers and hologram strips, flashes of red to mimic gills and injuries, whole smaller patterened feathers for flanks (always loved finding Blue Jay feathers for that)...Past that I'd have to do a bit of looking.

The important part being a few large ones for big Trout and Pike/Musky, and some small ones for Brookies and lighter weight rods, yet nothing using deer hair and the like to keep them on top like a muddler minnow.

B.E.F.

---------- Post added at 01:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 PM ----------

While I've long been a "dry-fly" guy, I'm always up for considering the building of a unique box or two. Let me know your size, pattern and other wishes, and we can talk about getting "the streamer show" going...
I'll try and come up with a few examples in a day or so.......Yet really I'm thinking past "general style" (long, sparse, and utilizing varied materials), it's tyers chioce.....Specific styles IMO right or wrong mean little.....making it look like a wounded fish or stimulator yet still able to be cast the point of.

B.E.F.

M

mridenour

I would be interested in zonkers, clousers, egg-sucking leeches, leech patterns, etc. in salmon and steelhead sizes.

Of course, no matter what you chose to tie, I would be interested in buying.

popperhopper

Reaction score
#12-#6 would work for and my style fishing the best. But i could stretch that out some. Patterns i am open to anything really. Maybe we could get a general consensus from the group for the first go around of boxes and then go from there?

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
Jerry;

Yes, I noticed and even mentioned those Bunny Strip streamers in my report, and for that set they'll work great! A bit more variety is what I was thinking of however. Though will say I think size 14 let alone 16 might be getting a tad small for my wants.

In any case, work out your thoughts, and I know you still have some "Fly Box 80's" to wrap up, yet once you know what you'd like to do and have a number, count me in for a box right off the get go!

B.E.F.

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
A few thoughts to keep in mind. Streamers I'd suspect can use up 10x the materials, and materials are the most expensive part (in that Jerry doesn't charge NEAR enough for his time). So the quantity of flies we might ask for I'd think would be a lot less.

Size of the flies also needs to be reasonable.....So I guess asking for 18" long Blue Marlin flies on Shark hooks might be out.

I'll try and post some ideas as to patterns later.

B.E.F.

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
Okay, just some food for thought and my "personal" tastes as to streamer patterns.

Though no tyer like Hairwing....Well, or even that boy who grabbed a wad of matted dog hair and jammed it on a hook like a chicken liver, there was always a feature I liked about Saltwater flies.....That being whether feathers (like thin hackles), polyhair, holostrips or whatever, that they extended back past the bend roughly a shank length or more.

Think of a common Tarpon Fly or Bunker. Now some would argue that when a trout hits it might go for the tail, and then you hook nothing. True enough, but I've often seen trout or whatever fish strike, and when it slips free strike again even more aggressively.

That said, a Tarpon fly is not a great example of the entire fly due to the typically simply wrapped shank (which is a waste of space in that the point is to make a typically smaller fly due to hook look bigger)...Bunkers in kind as well as oddly "bunker style" I always likes a thinner/narrower and sparser fly. IOW not so much hair.

In any case, in your personal creations I'd really like to see a little of that. When i have tied for myself I've always extended the soft stuff back a little.....Think of your bunny strip flies, yet using hackles or poly hair instead.

Anyway, that's just a personal thing......Hairwing the expert. In the end I'd rely on HIS expertise to catch me the fish ;)

B.E.F.