Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  34
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    beside the AuSable River in northern Michigan

Default Fly Box Price Changes as of January 1, 2015

I received a phone call last night from an old friend who has long lent a hand to "my kids" and the "fly boxes funding endeavors" by way of a heavily discounted price on the boxes themselves. By the close of 2014, he will be retiring from the fly-fishing business, as at age 75, he'd rather be fishing his last years than working them. I can't say that I blame him on that score...

Despite his lobbying for the continuance of my discount for the boxes, the new owners are going to double my "per box" price, basically pushing me away from the wholesale cost and into the retail pricing. Apparently, they care little about anything other than the "bottom line."

To offset the additional charges and still keep the funding for "my kids" viable, I'm afraid that a price increase is necessary on both the "Miracle 100+" and the "Streamers" collections. So, I will pose this question to you all...

"Would you still consider my ties and fly boxes to be a good deal if they're priced at $70 for the "Miracle 100+" and $58 for the "Streamers" collection?"

I don't mind putting my own time and effort into the flies/boxes, but I can't allow the fly boxes to turn into a losing proposition, one that would affect the classes with "my kids." The "Miracle 100+" boxes still would boast more than 100 flies per, and the "Streamers" boxes still would carry around 50+ flies.

Guys, give it some thought and feel free to voice your opinions. The fly boxes have never been a "line my pockets" sort of endeavor. Rather, my approach has been to supply good flies at a decent price, a cost that would allow me to keep funding the tying classes with "my kids" and maybe make a new friend along the way...

Let me hear from 'ya...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

2. Likes fyshstykr liked this post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Fly Box Price Changes as of January 1, 2015

That is sad Jerry sorry to hear you will be losing that wholesale pricing.

I have not bought any of your boxes since I "roll my own". However I can say this ,if that modest price bump dissuades people then they have no idea the effort it takes to produce flies at that volume. Conversely your price is still a heck of a deal. Locally tied with quality kit and priced near the offshore bulk garbage some of the online places sale is a no brainier.

I used to order mine from Riverbum because they were very high quality, but I was also payin $1.25 on up per fly per dozen.

Yours is a bargain and supports a great cause,so I can't imagine that price would dissuade people.
    "The fish you're gonna find up here, you're gonna find; Rainbow,Cuttbow,CuttBrowns,Brownbows,RainBrowns,
    CuttyRainbrowns, Pike ,Perch"

"Snap it" Hank Patterson

Jerry, you gotta do what you gotta do. Under $1.00 per fly for the quality that you provide is still a bargain, with or without a nice box.

If you wanted to keep offering flies at rock-bottom prices, you could always just ship them in a cheap cardboard box or plastic container and let us put them in our own fly boxes. You could offer to ship them them in a nice box for an additional price.

(But if you haven't run out of boxes yet, I wouldn't mind ordering one last selection at the 2014 price!)

Thanks, comeonavs... Appreciate the kind words...

I don't blame my old friend for wanting some quality fishing time in his later years. In fact, I'm hoping that we'll be able to share a stretch of river or two. He tried to do what he could on my behalf, and the "new owners" didn't seem to give a damn after the business changed hands and the papers were signed...

If the $70 price tag becomes an issue, I guess that I'll deal with it then. Until that time, I've got some flies to tie and boxes to pack...

Have a good Christmas, comonavs...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 AM ----------

moucheur2003,

I was smart enough to stock up on a few extra boxes for the Christmas season-- and before the news of an ownership change --and to start filling a few of the "well in advance" orders for the Spring, 2015 trout seasons. Last year, I was caught short, and I was determined not to see that happen again.

So, name your pleasure, old friend, and I'll take care of it...

And, I wish you and yours a great Christmas season ahead...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

6. Likes moucheur2003, fyshstykr liked this post

Jerry,

A price change effect on overall sales is hard to predict. It depends on ones motivation to purchase from you. Whether it be value, charitable contribution or a combination of both.

Perhaps you will find a smaller QTY of flies and/or a cheaper box option is a good idea in the future. Time will tell and good luck to you.

8. Likes fyshstykr, hairwing530 liked this post
    Blog Entries

Jerry,
    Even at $70, your box of superbly-tied flies is a bargain. Having said that, ia_trouter's comment about the effect a price increase being difficult to predict is spot on.

However, I think moucheur2003's suggestion about a less expensive box is excellent. Most of your customers probably already have a collection of fly boxes that they don't use (I know I do) and really don't need another one. If the flies are intended as a gift, and the customer wants the box, add the cost of the box to the order. I know you want to keep the high level of presentation that you have established, but this might allow you to maintain your price. Something to think about.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure everyone here will support you.

best,
    steve

10. Likes fyshstykr, hairwing530, plecain liked this post

ia_trouter...

You make some very valid points. In the earliest stages, the fly boxes were
    80+ flies, a total that gradually went to 90+ and finally, the "Miracle 100+," with only modest cost increases. A lot of the guys liked the "Miracle 100+" as it allowed me to drop an impressive collection of "bugs" on their doorstep(almost always north of 110 flies in every box) in a very nice fly box that I found reliable and durable, and with free USPS Priority Mail postage.

I chose to follow this "evolution" of my fly boxes, if you will, as it allowed me the ability to offer a wide array of flies and still keep the "per fly" price at less than .50 cents each, once you factored in the price of the box and postage. As to how any price increase will play out in the year ahead is anyone's guess, but I've long believed that giving an angler "home-spun flies" in exchange for his/her help with "my kids" was a fair bargain...

And, spm? You're right about the presentation side of the coin. I've always approached the flies and their boxing to be a "first impressions" sort of thing. You know... that "WOW factor" that comes when a USPS Priority box is opened and there sits a solid collection of flies all neatly arranged and "vest ready." Like most anglers, I've got no shortage of fly boxes of my own, some of which never see the light of day. But, the fly boxes I settled on never failed me astream, and with the slit foam, the interiors tend to outlast the rippled foam inserts.

In the end, when all is said and done, the boxes and my flies will either stand on their own merit, or fail miserably in the new year because of the additional cost. But, it won't be because I pushed my ties over the top on a "per fly" price. I've never cut corners on any part of my tying-- the hooks, hackle, hair, et al --nor on the presentation of my flies when they arrived. And, at this stage of my life, I don't intend to do so now...

But, that's just me... Thanks for weighing in, guys. You've given me quite a bit to mull over...

Have a great Christmas, everyone...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
    Last edited by hairwing530; 12-20-2014 at 06:50 PM.

12. Likes fyshstykr, ia_trouter liked this post

You could charge even more and it would still be a bargain.
    Just my $.02 worth.

14. Likes hairwing530, eastfly66, spm liked this post

John,

Thank you as well for your kind words. I approach the tying of my flies and their delivery with the same pride that I do everything else-- that being "if it doesn't pass muster, then I do it again!" Plainly put, if I wouldn't put it in my own fly box, daughter Jesse's fly collections, or those of my friends/fishing cronies, then they head for one of the "grab jars" atop my tying desk. Even being a little flawed and failing to pass my own scrutiny, almost all still catch fish...

And, since I've never been comfortable with the word "quit," I will find a way to manage the "hurdle" of a regime change at my old friend's company. Today, a plan was hatched during the "post-tying class" sampling of the "malts"-- singles from "Doc's" collection --and if it works as I believe it will, I may be able to get the new owners on board, at least to some degree. I'll keep everyone updated on how things work out...

After all, it is the Christmas season, a time of year when almost anything is possible...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

16. Likes fyshstykr liked this post

I believe Jerry, I do.

18. Likes hairwing530 liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast