Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  640
Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 LastLast
    beside the AuSable River in northern Michigan

Default re: "The 2019 Miracle XL+"

The loading up of my mail carrier's Jeep resumes tomorrow, as I've been putting in a little overtime at the vise, what with the oncoming Christmas season and all. When you have a moment, let me know when they arrive, guys. And, to all, I wish you the very best of holiday seasons...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

2. Likes mcnerney, ejsell liked this post

Five more boxes are away and headed "home for the holidays," so to speak. And, if this weather keeps up, I should put in a huge dent in the remaining Christmas orders over the next few days. The snow is beautiful to look at, but the woodstove near the tying desk is even better, especially when it's burning through a pile of dry oak.

Have a safe weekend, guys, and if you're fishing, wade carefully! After all, Christmas is right around the corner...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

4. Likes tcorfey, ejsell, mcnerney liked this post

Three more boxes down, and a few left to go for placement under a Christmas tree or inside of a Christmas stocking. Then, it's on to a pair of saltwater and bass boxes. Truth be known, I'm kinda enjoying the diversity of ties involved.

Then again, I'm easily entertained these days! Have a good one, guys...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

6. Likes smoke33, ejsell, mcnerney liked this post

With yesterday's shipments, the last of the Christmas boxes are away and enroute to their place beneath the tree. To all who've ordered from me over these past years, I wish you the very best of it all in the coming holiday season. As always, my thanks to you for thinking of "my kids" and me...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

8. Likes mcnerney, Ard liked this post

Default Re: "The Miracle XL+ 2017"

Hi Jerry,
    I gave up my woodstove this year: I can't manage all the work-cutting, splitting, stacking- and hauling into the house anymore. My son and I moved the beast out to the yard (til I can figure out what to do with it) and replaced it with an electric. I miss it already but I don't miss the work.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

10. Likes hairwing530, mcnerney liked this post

Hey JoJer,

I grew up with a hatchet in hand, as my grandmother wouldn't cook on anything other than her wood-fired cook-stove, which inspired an affection in yours truly for woodstoves and the like. And, since our stove does a fine job of heating the cabin, that love of wood heat has continued on throughout my lifetime.

Besides, after shattering my left ankle and suffering a tear to my Achilles tendon earlier this year, my "fishing cronies" all made sure that the enclosed front porch was stacked to the rafters with wood and ready for the winter. I just haven't got it in me to disappoint them-- and my girls --with not using the wood/stove, even if it's a bit less than my usual 24-hour a day approach. It's tough to tote a bag of split oak while wandering out to the porch on a set of crutches, courtesy of the repair work performed on the aforementioned ankle/Achilles.

Until Spring, 2019, my days will be spent at the vise, doing my rehab, and yes, occasionally filling the stove. Old habits are hard to break, unlike my aging bones.

JoJer, wishing you and yours the very best of it all in the coming holiday season. Maybe, we can figure out a way to convert your wood stove into a smoker over the winter, given that it's still in the yard and all...

Have a good one, JoJer...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

12. Likes mcnerney liked this post

With the exception of one rather large order-- and of course, my donation boxes to the CFR/PHW collection that Larry has been kind enough to centralize for us --the last of the 2018 boxes will depart the cabin tomorrow morning via USPS Priority Mail, inclusive of the usual "extras" packages that I like to include with every order. Over the years, the "bonus bugs" have been my way of thanking all of you for your kindness and generosity in supporting the Saturday tying classes with "my kids."

Here's to a safe and prosperous 2019, with me hopefully seeing some "active duty" time on the river. Having been sidelined all of 2018 because of the left ankle/Achilles damage was tough on this aging tier...

Have a good one, my friends, and thanks again...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

PS I'll be posting up the 2019 boxes with photos sometime this week. I don't anticipate much, if any, price changes... JW

14. Likes tln1313, WoollyBourbon, mcnerney liked this post

After reading through this thread in it's entirety, I've come to be so thankful for the work that you do and the reasons you do it. And so many are able to benefit, with the gift of learning to tie flies, and the gift of high-quality tied flies.

Thank you Jerry, and may 2019 bring you good health, and as much time on the river as it does at your tiny desk!

16. Likes tln1313, hairwing530, mcnerney liked this post

afabed,

Thank you for your kind words about what I do, and why I do it. As I look back on 21+ years as a cancer survivor-- 5 tumors beaten, to date --and 20 years of the Saturday tying classes with "my kids," I've come to realize that the classes have blessed me in more ways than I can count. Along the way, I've had the privilege of meeting some great kids who've fought through more challenges than any child should have to in one lifetime. As well, teaching them to tie has given me the rare opportunity to give back and pay it forward, all at once.

And, in 2010, the classes took on yet another importance to yours truly. That was the year that my youngest daughter lost her battle with leukemia at age 15, and since her passing, I've come to view the classes as a means for both the reasons cited earlier, and also as a way for me to honor her memory. Laramie would have celebrated her 24th birthday this year, and she is missed still...

Thanks again for your kind words, afabed. They're greatly appreciated on this end in more ways than you know...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
    Last edited by hairwing530; 01-16-2019 at 06:55 PM.

Guys,

I've updated both the "Miracle XL+" box thread and the "Streamers/Stones" boxes for the 2019 season, complete with new photos. Let me know your thoughts.

Meanwhile, I'm headed back to the tying desk. Have a safe weekend, everybody...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

19. Likes fadeawaynot liked this post
Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 LastLast