Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  640
Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233

Default Re: "The 2019 Miracle XL+"

Wow! Let me first start out by saying thank you so much Jerry. I have been anxiously checking my mailbox, and today I was so pleased. What an amazing box you put together for me. The time put in with the list describing each row and a personal touch is very much appreciated. I am glad this forum led me to finding this thread and purchasing flies from you. From everything I have read, everyone has had nothing but great things to say about you, and I see why. Thanks for being so genuine and it was my pleasure thinking of your kids and you. To people reading this, I have already told 4 of my fishing buddies about Jerry, so I strongly recommend reaching out to him if you need to fill that fly box up! God bless and take care HairWing530

beside the AuSable River in northern Michigan

Hey WVMA,

Thank you for your kind words about my handiwork, and for letting me know that your box arrived safely. Always appreciated, my friend.

And, as for the "genuine" part? It isn't in me to be any other way. My grandparents raised me with a certain approach to life-- to give when not required, to be honest, and above all else, to always strive to live by the measure known as the "Golden Rule." Their "life lessons" have served me well over the years, and I see no reason to change things now.

So, I tie and build my fly boxes in a style that is reminiscent of the first "real" fly box that I ever received at the tender age of 8-- filled with plenty of "bugs" and always more than "required." That approach is just part and parcel of who and what I am-- a fly wrangler with a vise. And, I'm good with that.

And, thank you for the blessings as well, WVMA. Blessings are always welcome here.

Wade safe, fish hard, and savor the hours spent on the water, WVMA. And, thanks again for thinking of "my kids" and me...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

3. Likes WVMountaineerAngler, mcnerney, dennyk liked this post

If everything goes as planned, Monday's load of boxes should be a good test for our new "XL" mailbox. Two of my "fishing cronies" installed it earlier this week, as both were worried about me propping myself up on crutches while trying to mount the mailbox. When they stopped by the cabin "post-installation," one of them joked that the new box might be cause for the county to raise my property taxes. Seems that he is of the opinion that its size might make it eligible for serving as a "rental cabin" during fishing season. Everybody's a comedian when they can out-run a guy...

At any rate, keep an eye on the incoming mail, guys. And, as always, my thanks to you for thinking of "my kids" and me. As for yours truly? It's back to the vise. Have a good weekend, my friends...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

5. Likes mcnerney, dennyk liked this post

Took the new box to a stream in West Virginia yesterday. Cold and windy, but still enjoyed time out on the water with a friend. Caught 5 to myself with Jerry's flies and only lost 1 bottom fly the whole day (sometimes I lose way too many) They liked the bright stuff yesterday and "the extra's" got put to use! Hope everyone enjoys their Sunday.

7. Likes hairwing530, dennyk liked this post

Good on you, WVMA, for braving the elements and getting in some early trout work. I'm steering clear of any river thoughts, with all due respect being given to the left leg issues and the fact that we have a "blizzard warning" in effect until tomorrow morning. The temps already have dropped 12 degrees in the last hour, and the falling snow is starting to travel more horizontally than vertically. And, the winds are currently pushing the snow at 30 to 40 mph, with gusts reaching as high as 60 mph, causing a bit of concern here at the cabin. Many of the neighboring trees surrounding the place have some age to them, and I'm just hoping that the old place makes it through another storm.

Thanks for the fishing report, WVMA. Enjoy your Sunday as well...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

9. Likes Chill, WVMountaineerAngler, dennyk liked this post

Four more packages headed out this morning, and if things go as planned, I might be able to polish off a few more before Friday or Saturday's mail. After our 36-hour "blizzard beatdown"-- 55 to 60 mph winds, plenty of snow, and the usual power line damage --things are back up and running well. And, I managed to convince two of the "cronies" to tote in enough firewood for the next few days... in exchange for flies, of course. It's a fair exchange in my book.

And, these past few years have confirmed one thing for yours truly, and that is this... A man needs 7 things to nicely survive northern Michigan winters-- an understanding spouse, a 4-WD "Fish Truck," a chainsaw, log splitter, portable generator, woodstove, and plenty of tying paraphernalia. Oh, and a good supply of gin or a good single malt doesn't hurt, either...

Have a good one, guys. As for me? It's back to the vise...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

In an effort to regain my position of being on the good side of my mail carrier, a mere trio of boxes departs with tomorrow's mail. Not to fear, guys. The early part of next week is shaping up to be another load of Priority Mail packages.

Have a great weekend, everybody...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

12. Likes dennyk liked this post

Six more boxes have departed since my last update, all of which should be on the last lap before landing in their new homes. On tap for later? More tying in-between my feeble attempts to direct and control the rapid meltdown/runoff. As my left leg is nowhere near being "roof ready," a snow rake and me have become best friends, thanks in no small part to an ongoing leak about the cabin's kitchen window. It never ends...

Here's to the coming Spring!?! Have a good one, guys...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

14. Likes dennyk liked this post
    Farmington, ill. -Stop by for a cold beer on your way thru
    Blog Entries

Money is sent Jerry Thanks as always

Kev,

No, thank you, my friend, for thinking of "my kids" and me. If it hadn't been for the kindness and generosity of my "fishing cronies" and the anglers whose flies I tie, I honestly don't know how much I would have been able to accomplish with the tying classes for "my kids," and the Saturdays spent teaching said classes over these past 20 years.

May you be blessed with the best of it all during the seasons to come, Kevin. Best as always...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233