Silicone boxes vs foam boxes

goshawk87

Reaction score
I am moving to almost exclusively silicone. It holds the flies tighter, and doesn’t have the memory problems that foam has. I also really like the Tacky style boxes, although there are a number of knockoffs to choose from now. The main drawback is that the slots are farther apart in silicon boxes, which isn’t a problem if you are using dries or bigger nymphs, but you do loose some capacity if you are storing size18-20 nymphs.

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
I haven't decided. I have several Morell foam boxes (the kind without slots) that get torn up by hooks over time (but would probably be great for barbless hooks), boxes with slots (some from Allen as well as Bugger Barn and Bugger Beast from Cliff Outdoors), some plastic compartmented boxes (for tube flies and big poppers). I am not sure which I like best; maybe the two sided small Allen box for stream fishing, and the Bugger Beast for saltwater (it holds all my saltwater flies). I haven't tried a Tacky box yet but that is probably next. If I am only taking a few flies out in the kayak I tend to use the Morell boxes (the midsize one is a bright color and floats high in the water, which came in handy once).

spm

Reaction score
I have been using the Tacky box this past year. The problem I have with it is it seems like every time I open it, I have a loose fly. I have re-checked every fly to ensure they are securely in the slots, but it continues to happen. They are also not waterproof.

steve

bluwave

Reaction score
Foam boxes are cheap and inserts are easy to replace. It really comes down to preference but foam is hard to beat IMO.

bumble54

Reaction score
Foam, simply because I have 2 square yards of foam for relining the boxes so it will certainly last me to the end of my days with some to spare. :wink:

dillon

Reaction score
For my trout fly boxes I prefer rows of foam with slits to hold the flies. The space between the rows allows space for the hackle. No slits, no space, no good, imo.

brownbass

Reaction score
I have been using the Tacky box this past year. The problem I have with it is it seems like every time I open it, I have a loose fly. I have re-checked every fly to ensure they are securely in the slots, but it continues to happen. They are also not waterproof.

steve
Same problem here with the loose flies and not being waterproof. I have been looking at the MFC River Camo foam fly boxes. You can add the swing leaf that adds capacity for close to 400 flies. Some friends like it enough to buy more of them

Bill

trout stalker

Reaction score
Fly boxes has changed several times over the years for me. Started out with Morell. Moved to both ripple and slit foam Wheatley. Tried Wheatley compartment boxes. Then to CF Design slit foam and inexpensive plastic compartment boxes. All have issues. Morell's and ripple foam get chewed away. Slit foam gets memory. Compartment boxes in a slight breeze your dry flies become airborne.

With that said, I am giving Tacky a chance. At least for my dry flies.

jbcissell

Reaction score
I like my tacky boxes. One of mine is am orvis tacky box that is grey and can hold flies on the lid too. About to buy another

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

DJJJenkins

Reaction score
I seem to have the same problem as other members have said here with silicone not holding flies very well... may be we are doing something wrong?

I like window and clip boxes personally and I carry a sheepskin 'wallet' for wet flies to be dried before putting them home in a box again

Reaction score
I have been fly fishing for decades and still have not found a box I’m completely satisfied with. I saw some wood at a local Hardwoods store that I thought was unique so decide to make a fly box from it. If nothing else, it’s the exact size I want. I may put two foam strips on the top section, but I’m reluctant to cover the wood.

985C3A2B-E4DA-45F5-997C-96B3B8527458.jpeg2FF2497E-1EBD-4B8D-AEF5-2A0F7BD3B586.jpegB515A967-E3CC-4502-B518-602DEE444ECF.jpeg