Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  16
  1. Default Silicone boxes vs foam boxes

What’s your preference and why?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Default Re: Silicone boxes vs foam boxes

I am moving to almost exclusively silicone. It holds the flies tighter, and doesn’t have the memory problems that foam has. I also really like the Tacky style boxes, although there are a number of knockoffs to choose from now. The main drawback is that the slots are farther apart in silicon boxes, which isn’t a problem if you are using dries or bigger nymphs, but you do loose some capacity if you are storing size18-20 nymphs.

3. Likes mcnerney, hairwing530, trout stalker liked this post

I haven't decided. I have several Morell foam boxes (the kind without slots) that get torn up by hooks over time (but would probably be great for barbless hooks), boxes with slots (some from Allen as well as Bugger Barn and Bugger Beast from Cliff Outdoors), some plastic compartmented boxes (for tube flies and big poppers). I am not sure which I like best; maybe the two sided small Allen box for stream fishing, and the Bugger Beast for saltwater (it holds all my saltwater flies). I haven't tried a Tacky box yet but that is probably next. If I am only taking a few flies out in the kayak I tend to use the Morell boxes (the midsize one is a bright color and floats high in the water, which came in handy once).

5. Likes mcnerney, hairwing530 liked this post
    Blog Entries

I have been using the Tacky box this past year. The problem I have with it is it seems like every time I open it, I have a loose fly. I have re-checked every fly to ensure they are securely in the slots, but it continues to happen. They are also not waterproof.

steve
    "As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler" ...Izaak Walton

"Nothing is as bad as something that is not so bad"...Sr. Percival Blakeney, aka The Scarlet Pimpernel

7. Likes mcnerney, hairwing530, brownbass liked this post

Make your own.

DIY Slit Foam Fly Boxes
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

9. Likes hairwing530 liked this post

Foam boxes are cheap and inserts are easy to replace. It really comes down to preference but foam is hard to beat IMO.

11. Likes mcnerney, hairwing530 liked this post

Foam, simply because I have 2 square yards of foam for relining the boxes so it will certainly last me to the end of my days with some to spare.

13. Likes mcnerney, hairwing530 liked this post

For my trout fly boxes I prefer rows of foam with slits to hold the flies. The space between the rows allows space for the hackle. No slits, no space, no good, imo.

15. Likes mcnerney, hairwing530 liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by spm View Post
    I have been using the Tacky box this past year. The problem I have with it is it seems like every time I open it, I have a loose fly. I have re-checked every fly to ensure they are securely in the slots, but it continues to happen. They are also not waterproof.

steve
    Same problem here with the loose flies and not being waterproof. I have been looking at the MFC River Camo foam fly boxes. You can add the swing leaf that adds capacity for close to 400 flies. Some friends like it enough to buy more of them

Bill

17. Likes spm liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
    It funny you posted this, I just ordered some tins and foam from amazon to do the same thing. I just wanted some cheap boxes I could fit in my jeans pocket to hold a handful of flies. I found some foam sheets with adhesive backing, if it works, I'll post the materials here.