Tube Flies;

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Here are a few flies I did a quick photo of while cleaning up my tying bench. There is no background but the color rendition is accurate as you see them.

The thing I am liking about this type tie is that there are no hard fast rules. You just use whatever you know about colors that work and sizes that work. Then you bind those items to a tube and glue everything in so they stay together.

If you are new to using this type of feathered lure you'll need to learn how to rig them to your line. Rather than going into that in a post I'll advise that you use your computer and search 'How to rig a tube fly to my line'. You will find videos that explain this a lot better than I could do. I will suggest that you use a rigging with a jam knot that will catch your tube should you break a hook off on a heavy fish. Also, practice your rigging until you have that hook tucked up tight to the rear of the tubes and not trailing too far behind the lure. A hook that trails too far back may catch fish way too deep and cause damage that will kill the fish. If you are C&R fishing this should be a primary concern.

Most are just colors that have produced on standard hooks and so are transferred to tubes.

This one is based on Freight Train colors, this is a good fly for trout or salmon.

The AK. Assassin transferred to tube;

I have tied a bunch of these, especially the AK. Assassin. I think I have 2 dozen of the assassin flies on standard hook, tube and Intruder ties. They are my best king salmon fly and will take silvers as well.

Ard

Last edited:

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Ard, they all look great! :thumbsup:

I've obtained some supplies for tying tubes, but it's another of my to do list items I've yet to get to doing! :rolleyes:

The first five you've posted, I would toss at river Smallmouths too! No salmon here so SM bass would have to do! :D

The colors could suggest a lot of things they would eat! ;)

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Jim,

I use a lot of food colored materials for the trout / steelhead ties and the flashy stuff for salmon. Not that salmon don't hit olive or visa-versa with the trout but generally that's the plan. The first one is hoping to be mistaken for a small rainbow trout by large rainbow trout :) I am going to figure out how to incorporate some zebra marabou into that concept and then call it good enough.

I've also been making new mini heads for use in my leaders using T-14 & T - 20 as the weight. I'll get to test those tomorrow I hope.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Beautiful flies. I ordered a smallish starter tube kit a few weeks ago. I watched a vid or two and never saw how the hook was incorporated and set them aside. I haven't watched a rigging vid yet but I had a minor epiphany when I saw your flies on this thread. Couldn't be too difficult to rig. :)

Last edited:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
In short;

* Tie a basic over hand knot in the leader about 4" from the tip
* Run the tip up through a hook eye and then take the tip around and under the hook shank
* Take the tip down through the hook eye and pull the loop you made around the shank tight to the eye
* Now slide the square knot you have on the line back really close to the eye and take the tip through the circle of the knot
* Wrap the tip around the line 3-5 times depending on line size and take the tip back through the loop / circle of the knot.
* Chinch it tight. If you get it right you will have a jam knot about 1/2" ahead of the loop that attaches the hook.

The jam knot should slide inside the tube and lodge there, this stops the tube from sliding back any closer toward the hook. The tube will slide up the leader line but will stop on the jam knot going backwards.

jaybo41

Reaction score
Ard, those are some great looking tubes! Watching your progression with these certainly has been fun! Your flies look wonderful, I hope you've made multiples of these. That 4th/5th fly in particular surely will get you some grabs.

As for rigging them, I typically just use a non slip knot and tuck lodge the knot up inside the tube.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Jason,

I don't make them as neat as yours but if I really try to balance the materials out I can get close. Would love to see you post some here. The Spey forums need participation :)

king joe

Reaction score
Beautiful flies. I ordered a smallish starter tube kit a few weeks ago. I watched a vid or two and never saw how the hook was incorporated and set them aside. I haven't watched a rigging vid yet but I had a minor epiphany when I saw your flies on this thread. Couldn't be too difficult to rig. :)
Hey...likely you have researched a bit on this...but if you haven't. Canadian Tube Fly Company (google that)....has tons of resources INCLUDING all matter of videos ranging from tying specific tube patterns to rigging. I have researched tons (its my OCD...HAH) and their site is perhaps the most comprehensive site on most things 'tube fly'. :thumbsupu

Ironic though, though named Canadian Tube Fly....and they are based in Calgary or something....they have more distributors in the states than here in Canada. Free trade at its best, it would seem. That or you americans just can't figure out how to tie your own flies...HAH. (kidding) :doh:.

King Joe Outa Here!

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
If you are thinking you need a tube vise, take a look at the one in the auction like I'll post at the end of this reply. It is not mine, I already have one like that I bought in 1994, but I'm tempted to buy it anyway.

It is a Thompson 360* A vise 360 means full rotary, I use mine with a pro Tube mandrel and because the adapter is perfectly strait these old vises are perfect tube tying tools. Because the original manual comes with you don't need me to explain how to set the rotary feature so it's just right :) It appears in new condition and will take any of the bobbin cradles (like the ones that fit a Renzetti Traveler.

If I didn't really like mine I wouldn't tell anyone to look at one, so...... here's the link

D H Thompson Pro Fly Tying Vise A 360SLT Vintage w Original Manual Guide USA | eBay

Just bid in the last minute and you should get it for 50 dollars

cb

Reaction score
Superb flies Ard ! Hard to resist by human or salmon :wavetowel

I actually tie all my tube flies on thin bare plastic tubes. And I dont tie any 'body' dressing on these at all.

Instead I tie the body (if I want one - but mostly I use bare metal tubes) on the different weighted tube barrels which I slip over the plastic tube liner.

This way I can quickly change the weight of the fly or colour of the body without changing the pattern or size.

Anyway, just thought you might be interested!

Cheers

Colin

PS. I may change the weight of my tube fly three times as I fish down a pool. Depending on the speed of the current.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Colin,

I have some of the weights but have not used any to date, they seem to make sense and I'll be thinking about doing what you are suggesting here.

A few pictures of your tubes would be good :)

Ard

cb

Reaction score
Hi Ard

Here is quick snap from my box.

You can see: hook - sleeve/metal tube - fly on plastic tube.

The bit I swap is the metal tube - but I also often leave it off altogether if I want the fly to swim high in the water.

I have a whole assortment of weights and colours - also cone heads I simply slide on or off. Of course I use different flies too!

In effect the body and head are always separate.

I just like the flexibility.

Cheers

Colin

PS> A bit rough and ready dressing I'm afraid - but I rarely use a vice - as I often tie them on the river bank to exactly the spec I decide for the conditions in front of me. I love doing that - happy in the knowledge that I have confidence in my fly. (i really hate it when i dont think I have the right fly on!)

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Now that's some weight, I have what the Pro Tube suppliers call 'drop weights which are similar but are meant to go right on the tube. I haven't used any yet fearing they would make the fly too heavy. I've been making these with cone heads in all sizes thinking that combined with a sinking leader they will be deep enough.

Something I really like about the European flies, most of them are quite simple like what you've shown here. I believe that I'm making this harder than it has to be by tying bodies with tinsels and etc. to the tubes. I'll be having a look at some of the flies the UK. forum guys have posted and have a go at them today I think.

We are having a wind storm here today. Things got started around 5:00 AM and may last throughout the day and into the night. These 'storms' have no snow or rain, just winds. This one, according to my weather radio, is 55 mph sustained wind with gusts to 85 mph. I will have to go out to be sure things are still here soon. I knew this was called for and had battened things down, however winds like this for 12 hours or more can take things away from you if you don't pay attention.

These storms are a regular feature of the Matunuska Susitna Valleys, in the past ten years I've seen them last for 4 days at the worst. It makes me wonder where all that energy comes from, to keep a hard wind for 4 days straight. This is most prevalent in late fall and during winter, I've not seen sustained winds during spring or summer but by November all bets are off.

Because of the weather I'll be doing some tying : Thanks for posting that,

Ard

dean_mt

Reaction score
What are the air temps to go along with that Ard? The wind chills must be deathly cold.

The air temp near Butte, Montana was -50* yesterday morning. -50! Think of the difference between a Zero degree day and 50 degree day. One of them your cold, the other you are casting to rising fish in shirt sleeves. Awesome weather this winter, just amazing.

Nice flies btw. I've never looked at this page!

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's a group from the other day, Most are just color combo's that I know work. There are however a few Green Butt Skunk in the mix :)

I finished the dozen with Sculpin tubes. Real easy to make and I know they will catch.

nevadafly

Reaction score
Ard,

Thanks for sharing these they are beauties for sure.

Every time I see nice tubes I ask myself why I don't tie them that much? I mean I bought the set up 2 years ago and just have not gotten to tying any?

Maybe this will do the trick.

KC

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi KC,

This group of flies is pasted all over the forum but would be a nice addition to this thread. I am tying more these days and will enter more as they are made.

Winters Hope sort of;

Willie Gunn un-weighted;

Wilkinson Sunray;

flycaster1977

Reaction score
Do i see a copper miner variant in that first group? Thats one of my favorite patterns. Theyre all great looking flies. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk