Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  22
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ard's Nine Three;

Blog Entries

Default Ard's Nine Three;

The most successful fly I have threw together in the past ten years. It catchs trout here very well.

Incidentally I tested this fly for over 5 years before ever posting a picture on-line, so even Kelly G. would approve I hope
    Last edited by Ard; 02-16-2014 at 05:35 PM.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Blog Entries

Default Re: Ard's Nine Three;

As always....... a Killer fly ard!
    Would love to fish it one day

casey

ARFE

Blog Entries

Hi Casey,

It's the same old picture that's made the rounds here for years. There are however a bunch in my trout box. I keep those and the Jock O' Dee in good supply for trout / steelhead trout. This year I'm going to be switching off between tubes like the Sunray Shadow and the classics that have worked so well thus far. I am very curious about the tubes.

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Beautiful, very subtle colors, would love to see it in a current!
    - William

Blog Entries

Hi William,

They get pretty skinny but if you swing into a slack water the goose hackles puff out a bit. Whatever they look like the trout like them. I'm trying to get some people posting into the Spey & Switch threads as well as into this sub forum which we set up for Spey style or any other flies fished on the swing.

Ard, always loved that and no I am more curious on how you ended up naming it
    I think I fish, in part, because itís an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution. ĖJohn Gierach

7. Likes Ard liked this post
    Blog Entries

It's become a "classic"I'm curious too Ard....was it created in 93?or did you catch 93 fish with it on the first day you used it?

9. Likes Ard liked this post
    Blog Entries

Ard: I've said it before, but will say it again, that is my favorite fly that you tie, just a gorgeous work of art. Just curious if you are thinking of converting that tie to a tube style?

Larry
    Larry

11. Likes Ard liked this post
    Blog Entries

I like that fly. I think I am going to give it a try this week. I am a big trout fan. I am trying to tie a million different things now that I am getting the hang of it. I will post a pic if it turns out.
    Glen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"The Fishing was good, it was the catching that was bad"

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...logs/gzarboni/

13. Likes Ard liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
    It's become a "classic"I'm curious too Ard....was it created in 93?or did you catch 93 fish with it on the first day you used it?
    Hi JP,

The original fly dates back into the early part of the 20th century. The person who tied it made his very differently and legend has it that on the first cast made at Upper Dam Maine using the pattern caught a 9 pound 3 ounce Land locked Salmon. That's where the name came from.

I've been using the fly in a form close to the original since sometime in the early 1980's but when I came to Alaska and began to catch steelhead with it I thought it needed to be fancier. So I made them in standard streamer style and eventually like the one in the picture. Adding an ostrich herl butt, crystal flash, a rib of tinsel and using goose to hackle the flies made them quite different from their namesake. So....... once the fly began to look like the one pictured I felt that it had become mine and started calling it Ard's.

---------- Post added at 09:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
    Ard: I've said it before, but will say it again, that is my favorite fly that you tie, just a gorgeous work of art. Just curious if you are thinking of converting that tie to a tube style?

Larry
    That would be hard to do Larry but I have a bunch of tubes that carry the basic color scheme. I would be afraid that they wouldn't ride right in the current on a tube. As is they seem to stay upright and they continue to work. I will be adding some fresh ones to my trout box before breakup and should post a new photo.

---------- Post added at 09:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by gzarboni View Post
    I like that fly. I think I am going to give it a try this week. I am a big trout fan. I am trying to tie a million different things now that I am getting the hang of it. I will post a pic if it turns out.
    Glen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hi Glen,

You can find the tying recipe in the Flies for Alaska salmon & trout threads. There is a picture of a streamer style there too. It was scanned from a photo but is pretty good.

Here is a new one on a standard hook with feather wing.

Following the original recipe but with modern materials this is close to the original type.

All I do is fancy it up and eliminate the flat wing olive.

15. Likes jpbfly liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast