Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: The Composite Loop.

Some great points Ard. I too fashion some pretty complex flies but I carefully pick and choose my battles. Here in Michigan, if your not losing flies, your not doing it right. What makes the game extra hard is spring flooding and the constant changing of the rivers structure. I guess it's a good thing I enjoy tying flies or I would've given up long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
    Some folks may read what I'm saying and tell you that this is why they don't bother tying the 'fancy stuff', I say that fishing with a fly that took you 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour to produce will make you a better fisherman. Do they catch better? I believe that some do. Do they improve the quality of your fishing experience? I would have to say that almost 100% of my trips regardless of what was caught are enhanced simply because I used the best lure I could possibly produce.
    Grandpa used to call it "holding yer mouth right". I'm a stick to the basics sort myself, but we all have "confidence flies". It's called mindset, a huge part of this sport.

Back to your original programming:

I realized years ago: I'm slow. In the construction bidness, you're always slow, no matter what your doing. Besides, this is supposed to be a relaxing sport. Some classical music(thank you, XM), relax, and slowly tie my simple flies; the heck with the world. Downright peaceful. Now all I need is the bloody TIME.

CAB

Quote Originally Posted by cab View Post
    Grandpa used to call it "holding yer mouth right". I'm a stick to the basics sort myself, but we all have "confidence flies". It's called mindset, a huge part of this sport.

Back to your original programming:

I realized years ago: I'm slow. In the construction bidness, you're always slow, no matter what your doing. Besides, this is supposed to be a relaxing sport. Some classical music(thank you, XM), relax, and slowly tie my simple flies; the heck with the world. Downright peaceful. Now all I need is the bloody TIME.

CAB
    Right on ! Colorado certainly moves at a slower pace. I lived in Telluride for seven years and I miss that place every day.

blackbugger Guest

I've spun up Amherst along with ostrich before, it adds some nice accents.

Using dubbing loops for intruders and running several different materials like dubbing and then arctic fox and then ostrich all in the same loop is kind of fun and I suppose a time saver but I'm so anal about getting it all perfect it still takes me about 45 minutes to tie an intruder.

One thing I've noticed about steelhead flies. I don't lose very many.
    I've tied up a few boxes of summer flies and winter flies and especially with the big time consuming winter intruders, I just don't go through very many.
    Probably because you just don't catch that many steelhead fishing the winter runs.

Scott Howell's Squidro is a really durable fly. I've tied up about twenty of those and will probably tie some more but I really don't need to. Those twenty will probably last me all season.

I bought a few of those pre-made dubbing brushes but haven't found a use for them yet.

5. Likes Ard liked this post
    Blog Entries

My rational for not loosing many flies is that because I'm fishing them live action on the swing I avoid the bottom. By using varied leader inserts (T material) I get my depth but seldom feel the bottom. Although there are times when a sweeper screams fish at me I've gotten really good with depth perception and never, yes I said never swing too far into them. This last July I was catching some beauty rainbows that had taken up camp under a birch that had fallen to about a 20* angle over the water. The limbs, still full of live leaves were sweeping the surface but the water depth wwas about 3 foot so I was able to gage where to be positioned and where to place the cast so that the fly cleared the limbs and went to the downstream side where the fish were lurking in a pretty good sized group.

Winter steelhead here involves a 235 mile drive so I don't go too often. When I do the river has shelf ice and the fishing takes place in the center of the open channels. At that time you're fishing through boulder gardens and I don't recall snagging any of the boulders ever. I did lose a Jock O' Dee this past September because I left it on the Mokai trailer and never put it back in my box I also lost part of a Sculpin to fish teeth but it continues to work in spite of there being almost no fur left on the tail section.

The biggest loss of flies I ever had happened 2 July's ago. It was raining cats & dogs when I made my way back to take out the boat. I pulled it up to the area where you take out the plugs and strap it down. There I broke down the 2 rods I had been using that day and thought I'd stowed everything away. It was however pouring and I was hustling to get outta there. In that haste I left a Plano 6 compartment box holding 18 of the nicest tubes & Intruders I've ever owned sit on the transom corner of my boat. The flies had been a gift and were beyond my skill level and I didn't discover them missing until the next day as I was readying tackle for fishing....... Double

So, yeah I lose flies

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

7. Likes bocast liked this post

Thanks for posting this! Way better method than what I was doing, which was one layer at a time. Using water for taming the fibers and hackle, why didn't I think of that on my own?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12