Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool The Composite Loop.

The composite loop is a technique that's new to me, I honestly don't know if it's a new method, or if it's been around for a while.

Since it's that time of year that many Steelheaders are restocking their boxes, I thought I'd post this in the hope that perhaps it'll give us all some new ideas to try. If you've watched the original 'Skagit master' DVD you'll recognize Jerry French.

It's a rather long video, but hey, why not watch the whole thing. Go get a fresh cup of coffee, or maybe a couple drams of a good single malt and sit back and enjoy. *If you just can't sit that long....the part describing the 'composite loop' itself starts around the 6 minute mark.

How to Tie Jerry French’s Skinny Hoh Fly | | Hatches Fly Tying Magazine

Here's a link with more info and videos.
    Home | OPST

2. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Default Re: The Composite Loop.

Is the composite loop a technique others are familiar with?

I admire innovation in fly tying but watching Jerry tie is just a little too slow for me. Have you tried one of these fancy dubbing loops ?

I haven't tried the composite loop yet, it'll happen soon.

It's funny/ironic that you mention that "Jerry's tying is too slow." Slowing down while tying is something that I'll be doing once I sit at the vise again. Trying to tie with too much speed is one of the things that pushed me away from tying for a very long time. I used to see all these guys just blasting through flies and their quality was pretty good, so I thought I had to be able to do the same....I couldn't, and it took the joy out of tying for me, because I'm a perfectionist. I decided that I s*cked at tying and just stopped, add to this the thought that I think quite possibly the standard stuff bores me. Now, I think that tying traditional Salmon flies, Steelhead patterns, and possibly tube flies might just add enough spice for me to sit down and tie again....slowly.

Blog Entries

I do it John and will be doing a couple mini intruders to include in the set we're giving away on the Keepemwet thread. The transition to looping materials other than opossum and bunny mask was easier than you would think. I actually had to break down and buy a dubbing loop spinner recently and it makes things go pretty slick.

As for the pre-made dubbing brushes I haven't used those although I darn near bought a rack to make them with last winter. Then I began tying sparser flies and let go of that idea.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

I have a few dubbing loop tools in the drawer, infact I bought a new one that'll spin much faster with the use of ball bearings. What interested me about the "composite loop" was the use of multiple materials laid sparsely in the loop over the top of one another creating an interesting effect in the finished fly. Can't wait to see your flies.

It certainly does have a neat effect if you have the patience for it. I'm glad you have come back to fly tying (fyshtykr) just goes to show different strokes for different folks.

Blog Entries

Oh yeah, you can stack whatever you want into the loop. I've done it with lots of different fibers but I don't photograph every fly............ I'll take pictures as I make this batch.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

I use dubbing loops and kind of just mixed materials together in it for fun. Fly Tyer's Dungeon sell dubbings that are premixed with different textures and colors and even some rubber legs to give unique effects.

Blog Entries

Ever since you posted this I hadn't taken time to watch the video but this morning I did. One thing I thought worth mentioning is for everyone to take notice to how many steps are involved in creating a really cool fly like demonstrated and how long it takes. Those 'Big Fat Bunny Fur Sculpins' I make take about 1/2 hour each regardless of how many I've tied. The Intruder patterns that are built up using dubbing loops and what you could consider exotic materials are equally time consuming to produce.

Perhaps those who have viewed the entire video can understand why I absolutely despise losing flies. Every fly I tie to my leader took a significant piece of my time to create it. It was no different with my Catskill style dry flies in my previous fishing life, they took time to create what I considered the perfect fly to offer a trout. For as far back as I can remember I have went to great lengths to avoid losing one of my flies. We had a post just recently where the OP mentioned a couple with the girl on the shoulders of the fellow trying to retrieve a fly from a tree. That's nothing, I've climbed trees, waded rapids, and spent time locating flies that caught a bush on an errant back cast. If I get one of my sculpins stuck only a hoard of fish in the area or really deep water will stop me from going after it. While I was down fishing Oregon last month I lost the very best Wilkinson Sunray I had in my box. The realization that I was going to have to break that leader was enough to cast a dark pall over the rest of the afternoon.

Some folks may read what I'm saying and tell you that this is why they don't bother tying the 'fancy stuff', I say that fishing with a fly that took you 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour to produce will make you a better fisherman. Do they catch better? I believe that some do. Do they improve the quality of your fishing experience? I would have to say that almost 100% of my trips regardless of what was caught are enhanced simply because I used the best lure I could possibly produce.

So if you watch the video don't shy away from tying such patterns, life is short, why settle for a Wooly Bugger when you could fish the bling

Ard

12. Likes fyshstykr, honyuk96, bocast liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast