Pinky's Revenge

kwb

Traveler of Both Time and Space
Reaction score
Trying to do something worth while, been stuck at home for several days now with the awful Flu that is going around.

I put together a step by step tying tutorial of one of my favorite steelhead streamers. Thought it may give some of you something to do during this cold snap over the next couple days...

Pinky's Revenge...

Below is a step by step tutorial of one of my favorite steelhead streamers. I call it "Pinky's Revenge" and it is a variant of my Friend Dave's "Bad Hair Day" pattern. Enjoy!

Begin with a cheap hook you don't mind cutting, we are only using this hook for the shank, so while we want it to be durable, it does not need to be an expensive hook. I use the Mustad R75S-9674 in size 4 simply because I bought a whole bunch of them years ago for cheap. Insert the hook into the vise and put down a base layer of Vevus G.S.P. thread.

Install a loop of 30 pound Fireline Crystal on to the shank of the hook, wrap it very tight with the G.S.P. thread and then double over the Fireline and wrap it very tight once more to lock it in.

Apply a liberal amount of glue over the doubled over portion of Fireline, then wrap lead over that to add weight to the fly, the glue will also lock the lead into place.

Twist UV Black Ice Dubbing on to your thread and cover the lead wrapped portion of the shank.

---------- Post added at 12:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 PM ----------

Take Black Craft Fur and tie it in facing forward, do this twice, one clump on the top and one clump on the bottom. Be sure to remove as much underfur as possible, leaving just the longer fibers, this creates a sparser fly that has more translucency and movement.

Fold the Craft Fur back and make a few turns with your thread to lock everything in place.

Tie in two more clumps of Black Craft Fur as you did before.

Fold back these last two clumps of Black Craft Fur and make several turns with your thread as tight as possible to lock everything in really well.

---------- Post added at 12:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 PM ----------

Then grab some Black Rainbow Polar Flash.

Tie in a decent amount of Black Rainbow Polar Flash, double it over the back of the fly and be sure to really lock it in with plenty of thread wraps.

Add some UV Hot Orange Ice Dubbing for the base of the head of the fly.

Add a layer of UV Pink Ice Dubbing over the top of the Orange Ice Dubbing, whip finish and clip your thread. Then clip the excess hook shank off where your Fireline loop begins and fish the fly like you stole it!

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow Kory, thanks for that! Really man, that is easy and has fish catcher written in every step! Get well soon buddy and post me some more ideas, I'm flat here..............

Ard

gzarboni

Reaction score
Thanks for Posting, going out for steelhead on the weekend. Going to tie and try those out. Get well soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaybo41

Reaction score
Kory,

That's a killer looking fly, thanks for taking the time to post the SBS. I've seen the Bad Hair Day in a Skagitmaster video and tied one of them. I think I like your version better using the trailing hook.

Get well soon and thanks again for posting this.

coastrider

Reaction score
Wow, looks killer and what a simple tie. A great egg sucking leach design!

sent from the North Pole

kwb

Reaction score
Thank you guys, something that is fishy and doesn't break the bank to tie. Davey doesn't just tie them on hooks, he ties them on shanks, tubes, whatever. He taught me how to tie these 6-7 years ago and they flat out catch fish.

You can tie this in a ton of different color combinations to create just about anything, sculpins, baitfish, whatever...

I will see about doing another one of these soon, was fun to do.

Have a Happy New Year!

weiliwen

Reaction score
I've never tied a fly with a stinger hook, so excuse my ignorance - why not snell the stinger line onto the hook instead of tying it on, doubling back, and wrapping again? I'm sure there's a good reason, but like I said, I've not tied a fly with a trailing hook so I don't know.

jaybo41

Reaction score
You know it dawned on me that this fly is very similar to Craven's Dirty Hippy which is a real fish catcher too. I'm going to have to give the Bad Hair Day and Pinky's Revenge another chance and tie some at the vise. I hadn't used craft fur until I wanted to tie the Bad Hair Day and I must say, I dig it. Great action in the water, doesn't retain water and as you mentioned, they won't break the bank.

kwb

Reaction score
I've never tied a fly with a stinger hook, so excuse my ignorance - why not snell the stinger line onto the hook instead of tying it on, doubling back, and wrapping again? I'm sure there's a good reason, but like I said, I've not tied a fly with a trailing hook so I don't know.
Are you talking snell the Fireline on the shank or snell the Fireline to the stinger hook?

kwb

Reaction score
I was talking about the Fireline to the shank. I've snelled double hooks like this when I was trolling herring in my non-flyfishing days.
Few reasons I do it as I do.

Because I want it doubled over in a loop, that way I can change out the stinger hook when needed, if it gets dinged or whatever. I have had some of these flies I landed 15 or more fish on because I could change out the hooks.

I don't want a single strand running back, the double strand adds stiffness which is a good thing to an extent.

It's also fast and easy to do it as I do and they never come loose, gives the lead something to be glued to and I don't want that Fireline up towards the front of the fly at all as that craft fur spins out evenly around the hook if you aren't tying it in over the Fireline, the dubbing head also spins much nicer and more evenly when you are putting it on just a hook and not over Fireline.

Hope that clarifies, your mileage may vary :)