What Have You Been Tying Lately? Spey/Switch Edition

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Thought we could get some Spey, classic, streamer, intruder, sculpin, patterns going. I'm working on some intruders tonight, and I found spey hackle!

Last edited:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice tying fellas,

I have been quite at the bench because I made enough flies between trips to last until the ice comes. I did make a few articulated flesh flies but didn't photograph them. I'm fishing Wednesday and will no doubt swing a little of everything, some attractors some sculpins and some with the flesh color. One of my favorite haunts had so many pinks this August that flesh is still coming down plus the early silvers are dying off right now.

If I come up with any remarkable fish I'll get a shot of the fly then :)

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Thanks Hardyreels,

My next series will be without dumbbell eyes I'm casting a t-11 mow tip, Dumbbells go too deep.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I feel like these are the first flies i've tied all year. there may be others, but if there were, i can't remember them

a couple of hare's ears swingers. Experimented with fiber density on the hackles and different heads. The collar hackle is a nice GP flank dyed claret!

If anyone on the east coast is going to shows this fall, i'll be at The Art of the Angler Show in Danbury CT, on Oct 31 and Nov 1

Last edited:

dean_mt

Reaction score
It's been a pretty autumn so far out here. I'm not ready to think about winter yet. Hunting season opens this weekend and hopefully still some good fishing to be had. But when the cold winds start blowing down from the North, I'll at the vise and working on featherwings and soft hackle streamers. (Sorta looking forward to it) Till then...gotta make hay!!

flytie09

Reaction score
Some Intruder variants I was playing around with.

They are fun to tie and the options are limitless. Thank you Jerry French, Ed Ward and Scott Howell for a truly awesome pattern. The innovation in fly and gear design these guys brought will put them in the history books.

ft09

flytie09

Reaction score
A couple more Intruder variants.

But man they take some time. Don't plan to fill a box with them in a night thats for sure.

These shanks are made with hair pins.... I'm diggin these for the value. Im not going to delude myself that Im saving money.

Check out this guys tip on an alternative Intruder shank.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO9nJlKp1zU[/ame]

ft09

Vulpes

Reaction score
I don't tie them because I don't use that type of fishing for the dinky trout I catch..But man I sure think they look cool. Someday when I get a switch rod and start going after steelies I will start tying them...I just like the way they look especially with all the crazy colors.