Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  14
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Northern European Style Tube;

Quote Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
    Interesting that there's no body wrapped on the tube - Most tubes I've seen have floss or mirage tinsel wrapped along the tube....

Interesting concept here.
    I have an entire box filled with tube renditions of many well known patterns Eunan, neatly wrapped bodies and all. The problem is that they don't produce any better, possibly not as well as these flies having only long trailing wing / body designs. I don't use them for salmon because I've focused on just a few patterns that work for them but the trout & steelhead are another kind of target. They require that I keep searching for that irresistible look

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

2. Likes jaybo41 liked this post

Good looking tube Ard, steelhead would totally nail that thing here. I'll have to tie up a replica or two.

Color- in long tubes or sculpins, green brown black with a tiny bit of angel hair has out produced really bright flies.

Interesting enough fresh fish like blue, the color of herring, late run salmon and wintered over steelhead seem not interested.

Blog Entries

Hi Steve,

I just received some HMH copper tubes the other day, I got them in .5 - 1 and 1.5 inch lengths. If these are available where you get supplies for tying they may be helpful. The weight of the tubing takes a sparse pattern like these down really well and they aren't too hard to hard to pitch. I will be trying some of what are called 'Skittle Tubes' this year soon as I find someone to order from. These are short brass tubes that will really sink.

I love the idea of easy casting with in-weighted flies and just a plain mono leader but am in the same boat as your are when it comes to water conditions. The fish are near the bottom and not likely to rise clear to the surface to grab a fly so.......... my patterns are evolving to meet the environmental needs. Still, when compared to one of my giant sculpins these are very light and easy to cast.

When you have a chance look up the Willie Gunn pattern on tube. This can be altered to any tube and material combo you desire and offer easy patterns to tie.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Blog Entries

Here's another Eunan with the body being a drop weight, it's a Pro Tube Micro with clear vinyl extension tubing I get at a rubber supply Co. in Anchorage.

This style fly is catching fish for me, maybe I've gotten lazy but with the elongated flowing wing material bodies don't seem to matter. The extension tubing can be trimmed while in use but I like them long to keep the hook point and hair from getting together.

6. Likes J.James liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12