Another Simple Tube;

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
This works for rainbows here and occasionally a grayling or char scoops them up. I have no name for the fly and will soon post some with the black topping which caught me a steelhead last year :)

Pretty simple, what you see is............

Tube: 1/2" HMH Copper with clear liner and a hook holder extended on rear
Thread: 8/0 Black
Wing: Brown Arctic Fox with Olive Finn Racoon on top
Topping: 4 or 5 strands of Peacock Herl

These show how simple the construction is.

They look cleaner without the extension tubing but I've had enough of fouled hooks fishing shanks and put at least 1/2" on all the tubes.
Cheeks: JC nail

Spey casting really large flies is no more fun than doing so with a single hand rod, it takes more energy. It also takes a heavier rod and line when you are looking to move big bulky patterns. Because of this I've been trying flies that will appear fairly large underwater and have a bit of weight but are also made with as little weight as I can get by with. The copper tubes sink well and I don't notice them when casting. Note that I am using this style fly on rods with lines between 475 and 600 grains so they are very easy to toss.

Last edited:

jaybo41

Reaction score
Another great looking fly Ard. I'd think that one would fish damn near anywhere, it just looks so incredibly fishy! I did something very similar to that to replicate Emerald Shiners, but I've yet to try them. Here's hoping some of these recent ties of yours put some fish in the net.:thumbsupu

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm real close to finding out Jason, I have to renew my AK. State Business license today and stop at the Fish & Game headquarters to get the 2017 permit stickers, then on to yet another state office to get the commercial use 2017 tags for the boat. Once all that is done I can safely launch with no worries about any expired stuff showing on my hull. The ice is out on most local streams and rivers and it's time.

These flies are my attempt at getting more simple in the tying while still producing something that will move the trout. Lots of wiggle in this type.