Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 52 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast

Thread: Salmon Fly Tie-Along?

Default Re: Salmon Fly Tie-Along?

The Blue Heron Hooks are a tad on the steeper side of the money hill but none the less a handsome hook! They look to be of a heavier iron which suits my "dry line" approach.
    Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave

Hi Pocono,

I think the hooks are made by the Gamakatsu Custom Shop as stated on his Web site. Gama makes some great, sharp hooks but that explains the high cost.

"Exclusively manufactured by Gamakatsu Custom Shop for Dave McNeese"

Frank

This is the Green King I was talking about the other day. There is plenty wrong with the fly. But at least I did one. I am gonna try another go at it, to see if I can get a better one.
    As long as I get a bite, I don't want to leave!

Frank, Thanks for the information; you're right, that accounts for the steep price. I still like the hook, though.

Kelly, Good for you - that will work! If you're using a Partridge Bartleet CS10/1 hook in a #6, then the Spey and the Dee patterns are going to be challenging, since they're made to be tyed on much longer hooks. You can either try to get some 1/0 hooks, or you can try to use only the very tip portion of your hackles for hackling the body. I always struggle with getting hackles that are narrow enough to tie in on smaller hooks. But what you've got on the fly now will give you a great streaming effect in the water, which is one of the things that these Spey patterns are know for. Some people I know use lots of that old winging standby, saliva, to coax their mallard wings into position! Duck flank feathers; from any type of duck, are definitely not my favorite material to work with!

Ard my have some pointers for all of us on how to work with and tie in mallard flank feathers.

Pocono

Allan, the reason I used the smaller hook is because my hackle is very short, although quite long. If I used a longer hook, which I have...then I would run out of hackle. I am toying with the idea of trying it again, on a larger hook. But I think my first fly is the one that made me decide that my hackle was not long enough. I have either a 1 or a 1/0 hook. Someone gave me this hackle, and I have it in a gray, and a purple color. That is all the spey hackle I have. I may try this again today, not sure. Now I have the Picket Pin to do today too. I will see how it goes. I also have that other Salmon fly to tie, I am way behind...lol. I may go fishing this afternoon, I haven't fished in ages now. Depends on the weather...
    As long as I get a bite, I don't want to leave!

Played a little catch up today. Here are the two I was missing.

Blog Entries

Beautiful Allen,

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Nice looking flies, Allen!

What are you using for hackle on the Spey pattern?

The down-JC nails look really good on the Dee pattern; just like you'd find on the Ackroyd, and the mottled Turkey wing (I think that's what it is) looks nice on that pattern.

Pocono

Thanks hardy and pocono.

The hackle I used is the Whiting spey hackle or bird fur. Those feathers are usually really scarce so I use two of them but I might have over done it on that one.

It looks good to me. You'll know when you get it in the water. I think it will give you a lot of action in between your strips; which should attract the attention of a prospect or two.

Pocono

Page 52 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast