Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  24
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Tube Fly Construction And Materials

Wow, the Mother of all tube fly posts!

All look interesting and my only caution would be to watch out for the point on those tying pins buddy. I'm always reaching for stuff that involves sticking my hand in front of the fly in the vise.

The Bottle weights are very much the same concept as the drop weight I'm using. Same result just different components. The largest weight I use is a 60 grain, do you know the weight of the big bottle tubes?

I get the part about the places you fish, deep swift troths where trying to get a traditional pattern down is all but impossible. Generally the 60 grain fly reaches about every place I want to try. I'll be interested in seeing those with some materials fixed to them

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

2. Likes unknownflyman liked this post

Well you know itís winter and itís time to tie and strategize, And hopefully it is interesting conversation.

I read itís 13.1 grains for the Shumakov.

It has become more and more evident that I need a grain scale.

Yeah I have some patterns in mind, hopefully to post soon.

4. Likes Ard liked this post
    Blog Entries

I'm thinking they gotta be heavier than 13, they look like they are anyway. I don't have a grain scale any longer so all I have to go by is the manufacturers info on packaging. If you have any reloading equipment an RCBS powder scale will do in a pinch. That would be pretty crude compared to the nifty electronic scales available today, maybe I'll get one myself...................

I'll start making some flies in the new year. I was all excited to get out during our big warm weather pattern that lasted two weeks here. However when I finally had the window of opportunity I only made it 50 miles into the trip and turned around for home. The weekend before my three day fishing trip we were invited to a Christmas party, there were lots of kids and a crowded venue filled with adults too. That was a Saturday evening, I was to leave the following Tuesday. By Tuesday morning at 5:30 AM when I drove away with my little Mokai in tow I was pretty under the weather. The stuffed head, dripping nose, coughing and feeling just lost. It was a hard decision turning back but I felt terrible and knew that wouldn't lend to a quality few days on the river. So went my last trip of 2017, I am almost over it now and getting me to attend another crowded place won't happen again soon. I sat around here looking at temps all over the state thinking about where I could be and what might happen if I were there, it has been a rough week and a half.

Just the other day I pulled the Mokai off the trailer and slid it into the shop next to the other one, that was the signal that I had given up. It's a tough game this time of year, boat launches are all ice and in most cases you're going to be the only person on the river. Launching is a piece of work, you start the motor then drag the boat to the edge of the ice which is always downhill from where you stopped the truck. Then you park the truck and go up river. The days are short with a total of usable daylight and you must leave where you are fishing early just in case there are any problems. Once you reach the launch site it's the reverse of the launch except you drag uphill on ice. When I started thinking about all that fun with what appeared to be a full blown flu taking hold of me physically it was a no brainer.

Better next year maybe, it's colder now but not really cold.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

6. Likes unknownflyman liked this post

Sorry you didn’t get out one last time, yeah being sick and dealing with the elements is not a good time if not dangerous. I’m not too chancy on remote trips where no one is going to come save my ass except maybe the sheriffs rescue squad or coast guard or something.

It’s been teens and twenty’s here, dropping off to well below zero tomorrow night, there is no high for tomorrow. Cold all week 20 below for New Year’s Eve, pretty normal really. I’m hoping it will warm a bit the following weekend for the c and r trout opener.

It looks like they are catching hatchery steelhead through the ice on Lake Superior Duluth area. No thanks.

I was going to make one last winter trip to Lake Michigan tribs, but Reports were lots of ice and freeze up. Looks like March is the next Steelhead trip the opener. At least I’ll have some new tubes to try.

I’m going to see if trout like those little tiny tubes, could be good.

Have a warm holiday my online friend, thanks, all the best!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123