Spey Snow Fly

flytie09

Reaction score
The last of the series of Snow Flies......the Spey Snow Fly.

IMG_0956.jpg

Hook - Daiichi 2051 Alec Jackson 1.5
Thread - 100 denier black
Tail - Red schlappen fibers
Tag - Medium silver tinsel
Body - Medium silver tinsel
Rib - Medium french tinsel
Hackle - Gray Whiting Spey hackle
Throat - Large black schlappen
Wing - Strung Peacock herl
Head - Loon UV cure

No more stacking peacock herls for a while.

ft09

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice tying there ft,

For that Salmon River you might consider making a couple of those Dee Monkey tubes, I've been hanging a bunch of salmon on them while trout fishing. They are posted in this forum I think, pretty simple, about 3" and from what I can tell work well ;) I'm not saying the Snow Fly won't get it done but would love to see the Monkey catch some fish back there.

flytie09

Reaction score
Let me try some of these Spey flies first Ard. Many hours wrapped up in them. As I’m sure you know, it’s not the fly so much as it is the technique. If a hunk of black sponge will work, I’m sure a well swung Snow Fly will too.

If not..... then a decent Bourbon or Scotch will help me forget.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sure it will, you just gotta keep fishing with it until you get the first one and then it gets easy. There was just something about those Monkey's and Wilkinson Sunray's that just looking at a picture a few years ago I knew they would work. Now they're about all I use unless fishing for Kings or fresh silvers. Trout and steelhead trout they are what I've been using for about 4 seasons now. They've replaced my Sculpins :)

flytie09

Reaction score
I know little about tube flies to be honest. What is it that makes it a go to fly for you now? Is it the economics of them, speed to tie, fishiness, ease of casting, better control through swing, 360 degree profile?..... curious what your thoughts are. Because I’ve seen your traditional patterns so I know you’ve used them and with success.