Todd Moen Fly

flytie09

Reaction score
I'll give credit where credit is due here with this fly.

I have watched Todd Moen on Youtube where he fishes all around the world. I particularly enjoy his PNW Steelhead series where he is on many of the iconic streams. If you've never heard of him...check him out. They're great videos.

In one of them....'OP Steelhead', he shows the fly below being tied. He doesn't name it, he doesn't really talk about it. Maybe it's his secret weapon. It's in his box that he flashes briefly so there's something to it.

YouTube

I still don't know what's it's called or what it is other than fishy. It's a streamer with a dash of marabou spey. A pinch of Comet and a sprinkle of creativity.

Fishtech over on Speypages shared the recipe for his rendition of the pattern.

Kudos to both gentlemen.....

Here's my variation.....a nice Steelhead smolt. Wouldn't you know...another material I don't have... Senyo Predator Wrap. So a little improvisation.

IMG_1407.jpg

Hook: Mustad 2/0 Salmon
Body: Pearl Diamond Braid
Underwing: White artic fox tail
Wing: Small bunch of blue angel hair with 2 natural grizzly hackles
Eyes: XL silver bead chain eyes (on underside of shank)
Flash: Blue flash over the top of the wing
1st collar: Pearl cactus chenille
2nd collar: Large gray schlappen counter wrapped with medium silver wire.
Gill: Small pink marabou tied underneath
3rd collar: Gray extra select marabou
Head: Gray thread w/ Loon UV cure

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I like that, it has a bit of a flesh look about it and that can get a second look from our trout during late fall winter and spring. Of course steelhead are included when I say trout.

flytie09

Reaction score
Thanks lonigan..... I agree there are some very similar construction elements. I’ll play around with a few more color variations. It just caught my eye I guess.

So many flies to tie and try..... so little time.

flytie09

Reaction score
Well.... this is the best pic I could muster by myself. This orange/black version was a rather successful pattern during this high water event here in Pulaski.

78E5C824-DD01-42FE-A945-CE7718CAD5F3.jpg

I battled 2000-5400 cfs for 9 days. Major suckage. Just my luck. Next week if you can make it here will be gangbusters.

A second one......

11869077-B10D-4B4C-BC41-EA5987278C0D.jpg

Cheers

ft09

Last edited: