Speckle Dee Variant

flytie09

Reaction score
Speckle Dee

A variation of a pattern from Veverka's book...a Derl Stovall pattern. I didn't have Speckled Bustard or Argus which gives the original pattern the unique look....but I thought I'd take a crack at it. Yeah the ribs aren't tight...I know.

speckle dee.jpg

Hook - 1.5 Alec Jackson blind eye
Eye - 30 lb Dacron
Tip - Small silver French tinsel
Tag - Orange floss
Tail - Natural golden pheasant crest topped with dyed orange ring neck pheasant collar feather
Butt - Peacock herl
Body - 1/3 orange, red, and purple angora dub
Ribbing - Medium silver French tinsel and medium silver embossed tinsel
Hackle - Dyed heron gray ring neck pheasant rump and 2x grizzly ginger Whiting spey hackles
Collar - Extra large gray schlappen and select gadwall
Wing - Turkey tail
Eyes - Jungle cock nails
Head - Black thread and Loon UV cure

And a pic of my fly box for Ard........It's a dual swing leaf...so it takes a while to fill it.

Cheers

ft09

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Speckle Dee
Yeah the ribs aren't tight...I know.
Ribs aren't tight?

You've been visiting those websites where there exists far more pontification over ribbing than there is fishing. I've fished with plenty of flies lacking perfect ribbing work and can tell you that one will do just fine. The very worst that can happen is that the ribbing gets caught on one of those sharp teeth and is broken. If that happens I'd advise not trimming the broken foil, just keep using the fly with the new tinsel streamer trailing along behind. That very thing has worked out for me and I'm sure it can for you.

Very nice fly tying Mike :)