Olive and Peacock Intruder

flytie09

Reaction score
Olive and Peacock Intruder

Another Timo Kontio Intruder pattern.....

olive and peacock intruder.JPG

Weight: Dumbell eyes in front below the shank.
Shank: 45mm shaped black hair pin w/ medium Spring Green beading wire and size 6 stinger hook
Dubbing: Orange dub rear and Canadian Olive dub for the rest of the body.
Rib: Medium silver wire
Hackles: Ringneck pheasant rump feathers dyed olive on the back after the the orange dubbing and olive Whiting spey hackles in the front. Over the body a palmered hackle of olive schlappen.
Wing: Peacock herl dyed tan over each hackle. Ringneck Pheasant rump feathers dyed olive over rear and front stations. Tan and natural Peacock herls on top.

Last edited:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
The more I look at the diversity demonstrated by all these patterns you are tying I'm getting a feel for the depth of your material supplies. Another winner this one, I have used similar ties for trout & steelhead here for about 11 years. It was that long ago that I began to drift toward the larger flies over my old classic feather wings on hooks.

Nice

flytie09

Reaction score
Thanks Ard......after 30 years of squirreling away packs of vibrant feathers I had no idea what I was going to use them for.... I’ve found Spey style and Intruder flies have answered the calling.

You can only tie so many variations of egg sucking leeches before you get burned out. These style flies I just find fascinating and have sparked a new Renaissance in fly tying.

Micro Intruders I think are next on the menu.

Last edited:

duker

Reaction score
Beautiful fly, as usual. I really want to see a pic of your fly box, and soon.

Stupid question: I notice you attach your trailer hooks hook up. I've always attached my trailer hooks and tube fly hooks hook down, and caught fish with them. Is there an advantage to attaching them hook up?

Scott

flytie09

Reaction score
I rig the hook on an intruder fly to be hook point up. This is Jerry French's preferred hook mounting position as it prevents snagging the bottom on streams with variable depths. Not a dumb question at all and very much a personal preference I would say.

As far as my fly box.....this is the one I filled up for my trip up to NY next month.

View attachment 15997
View attachment 15998
IMG_1689.JPG

Last edited:

duker

Reaction score
Holy moly flytie09. That's about as fine a collection of steelhead flies as I've ever seen. Killers all.

Scott

dillon

Reaction score
I was just wondering what your boxes looked like, so thanks for sharing. Very impressive! I'd fish the top three in the bottom leaf of the second box on the "D". Especially the Max Canyon variation.

flytie09

Reaction score
Thank Dillon......those are the three I didn't tie. Off to the scrap heap with the rest. :frusty:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Micro Intruders are think are next on the menu.
You'll like that, I did them. The big thing is scaling down proportions so they actually end up being smaller. When I first did them they were small fat flies...……….

Scott said "Holy Moley" about the fly boxes. Too funny because I just watched Grumpy Old Men :)

Great tying buddy, I just posted a thread about cleaning up my boat boxes for spring called 'More about tube flies' I think...

flav

Reaction score
It's always fun to look into other guy's fly boxes. I like a few flies in the same box as Dillon, the grey pair and the black pair just to the left and above the flies he liked. The blue and black flies with the orange heads just to the left have possibilities too. You have to remember out here we're fishing for summer run fish miles and months from the ocean and black, purple, and natural tones are effective for our "trouty" steelhead. Winter fish and great lakes fish are a totally different story.

Last edited:

flytie09

Reaction score
I agree....these flies are not those one would typically swing for Summer Run Steelhead out West. I have boxes of smaller and sparse flies too for that. This is just one of many boxes. Thought I'd share the one that i most recently finished.

When I'm on Great Lakes tribs I bring a pretty wide variety of colors, sizes, weight besides these. Almost too many. For years it was only black, brown, grey, white and purple beaded ESLs and stonefly nymphs.

I've only ever seen one person actually use a Spey Fly in my 30 years going up to Salmon River........

To be honest........an unmolested steelhead will take almost any fly. Color, shape, size, surface, swung, drifted, stripped, hitched, popped, booby........they all work. They are not overly snooty like a resident rainbow or brown trout. It's pressure that drives them to be persnickity (along with many other variables). Then you better pack your lunch....because it could be an all day or week event to get 1 take.

I understand most of these are winter run PNW steelhead patterns. And many were developed out there to mimic a squid or prawn...thus the pink and orange hues. For the great lakes their diet through out their life histories are still pretty diverse...but more subdued colors (black, brown, tan, white, grey, olive). It's mysis shrimp, sculpins, shiners, gobys, alewife, shad, smelt, crayfish, flesh, worms, eggs and insects over here.

But sometimes a switch flips one day, their eyes get bigger and they might want something noone else is throwing at them. This can be any time....my experience says your best chance for this is on high water, when they're fresh from the lake in Sep/Oct, after a good hard storm, low light, or when they're dropping back to the lake after spawning. Heck......the best time to catch a steelhead is after a drift boat floats over the top of them. Explain that to me!

This random nature of a steelhead chasing a fly is why we cycle through our flies, this is why guys ask "what color is working?", why a blue fly will work (what in nature will a steelhead ever eat that is blue?) and why 90% of steelhead are caught by 10% of anglers.

One thing I also know from observation.....is that a deadly tactic for steelhead is back trolling plugs through a run. I used to see guides do this all the time. If they're going to hit a hot shot plug (which are not tiny)....then they will definitely hit a proper broadside swung 2/0 Pink GP or an Orange Heron ....

I also closely follow a few of the Great Lakes guys (guides and fishy dudes) out there in internet land like Greg Senyo, Matt Supinski, Frank Swarner (Great Lakes Spey and Dee Flies), Paul Moore, Walt Geryk, Kevin Feenstra, etc...... these guys are thinking outside the box and are drawing from techniques, patterns and materials from all over the globe.

steelheadflys.jpg

Senyo is so cool....he makes his own rules.

Like I've said before....we are in a fly tying Renaissance right now. The materials we have available to us now is mind blowing. Never hurts to try something new. And.....I'm not an expert at tying a Spey/Dee/Intruder fly by any means.

Hopefully it inspires someone else.

Last edited:

flav

Reaction score
To be honest........an unmolested steelhead will take almost any fly. Color, shape, size, surface, swung, drifted, stripped, hitched, popped, booby........they all work. They are not overly snooty like a resident rainbow or brown trout. It's pressure that drives them to be persnickity (along with many other variables). Then you better pack your lunch....because it could be an all day or week event to get 1 take.
I agree with you there, the main variable in steelheading is location. Once you find an unmolested steelhead (especially wild fish) and put a fly in front of it in the right way it'll very likely take a fly, almost any fly. People talk about steelhead being the fish of a thousand or ten thousand casts, but I have to disagree, once you figure them out steelhead are easy. It's finding them, figuring out when they'll be receptive to a fly, and then figuring out how to present the fly that's the challenge.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
That is about as true as it gets flav, I save my energy and find the right locations within a rivers channels that there is the highest probability of a fish being there. If you work it that way they can become the fish of a few casts or at most a hundred. I should add that when I was young I fished the whole river casting all day, that's how I learned where to look ;)