Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11

Default Another GP Intruder

Poking around Youtube for micro or mini intruders......these guys at FML Inc show up. They are the Japanese distributor for OPST. They have several amazing flies and tutorials. This one they call a GP Intruder....

I tweaked it a little bit, used what I had, added some orange hackle tip wings, but thought it came out good. I honestly gave up trying to put spey marabou, lady amherst and ostrich in a dubbing loop like they show. The first one was a disaster. Stacking them works just fine but does add a little bulk.

orange intruder.JPG

I played around with it in a bowl of water. And let my daughter go to town. She asked if it was alive when twitching it around? She had a ball with it as did I. This thing pulsates in the water like no tomorrow.

I'll be honest...I've never caught a steelhead on an intruder. I consider it one of the most over rated flies for Great Lakes steelhead. I'm going to say, I simply lacked any confidence using any of them.

If one is going to work for me...it's this one. I shall soon find out.

Cheers

ft09

“If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.”
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

2. Likes huronfly, Ard, eastfly66, dennyk, duker liked this post

Default Re: Another GP Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by flytie09 View Post
    I'll be honest...I've never caught a steelhead on an intruder. I consider it one of the most over rated flies for Great Lakes steelhead. I'm going to say, I simply lacked any confidence using any of them.

If one is going to work for me...it's this one. I shall soon find out.
    I completely agree, even though I have had success using intruders of all sorts including ugly things like squidros here in the GL, I seem to get many more grabs fishing something more natural. I save intruders for those days when the water is quite dirty. That one will fish for sure!
    Danny

4. Likes flytie09, eastfly66 liked this post
    Blog Entries

I find making composite loops for anything, because of that my flies aren't as neat as most video flies but they catch some fishes. As for catching on Intruder's I've done well with black...…...

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

6. Likes eastfly66 liked this post

I've fished intruders and caught steelhead with them, but honestly I have to say they're just a bit too big and ungainly for the kind of fishing I prefer to do. They are effective for high, coloured water--for the Bulkley I like them in blues, black and purple--but casting one with a Skagit head and heavy sink tip is the true definition of "chuck and duck".

That's a pretty one, flytie09, and it'll surely catch fish. Anything GP based is a killer.

Scott

I’m with you guys. I think I’ve missed the mini and sparse mark. It’s still..... 2” from hook eye to end of tail.... thats bigger than anything I chuck. Maybe a shorter shank and less or eliminate the 1st station?

Oh well.... this pretty much concludes my tying for next weeks adventure. It’s 1600 cfs on the SR now..... so bigger might just be the ticket. At least first light, last light or an overcast / rainy day.

To add some perspective here are 4x patterns I carry. From the 30 mm shank intruder, to the 1.5 blind eye Dee, to the 1.5 upturn eye GP style to the size 8 lower water hairwing swinger. Any good steelheader is always prepared and carries the right tool for the job.

6CF57D83-2622-45DC-9FED-A4E5090D5351.jpg

Intruders..... the modern Spey chuck and duck......

Cheers....

~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

9. Likes Ard, duker, eastfly66 liked this post
    Blog Entries

I've never ask; what weight line are you using?

Those hair flies I use like the Dee Monkey and Wilkinson Sunray are made on micro tubes with a really fat drop weight behind the fur and fluff that make up the wing-body of them. They could be called heavy and are about 3 - 3 1/2 inch I'd guess but they are sparse so there's little wind resistance to them. I move them to whatever distances are needed with a 540 Spey line and on some rods a 600 grain line. If you're in that grain neighborhood then it's some technique adjustments perhaps to allow you to cast them with some grace.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

I use from a 350 grain Commando up to a 680 grain Skagit Short depending on the fly, river and conditions I plan to bring 3x rods with me......a 10' 8 WT single hander, an 11' 7 WT switch and a 13'6" 8 WT spey. We'll see what American has to say when I carry all of this gear on.

I'm mostly a skagit line guy....but I do carry some Rage heads and Scandis too....

~Zane Grey

~Syd Glasso