Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5

Default Black Pheasant Spey

Black Pheasant Spey

I would consider this a modern hairwing Spey style steelhead fly. Now thatís a mouthful. High level techniques arenít really required. The most exotic material.... is the JC eyes.

DBAEFDC3-E232-4255-91D2-D997E39E22F7.jpg

Hook - Gamakatsu #2 Salmon
    Body - Green holo tinsel
    Wing - Black arctic fox tail
    Hackle - Black pheasant rump followed by large black schlappen
    Eye - Jungle Cock
    Head - Black thread with Loon UV cure

ďIf I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.Ē
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

2. Likes rockriver, Ard, duker, dennyk, City Rat liked this post
    Blue Ridge, Rappahanock, Potomac, Salmon River, NY and soon Sandy River, Oregon

Default Re: Black Pheasant Spey

This is a really beautiful fly. Not sure if this is ok to ask here or better done elsewhere but as I look at your fly the very basic thought occurs to me, what is a spey fly? How does a spey fly differ, if at all, from any other fly? As I understand it in my newbie brain, both are, in a very basic sense, flies, that is designed to sink and be fished, actively, underwater. Maybe a better way to pose the question, assuming that this beautiful fly is a spey fly for steelhead, is how does the steelhead spey fly for a double hander rod differ from a steelhead fly for a single hander rod? I bet that this is really very obvious to everyone so apologies in advance to whoever takes up the mantle of explaining this to the not so young anymore padawan learner, lol. Thanks.
    "To many afflicted Eastern fishermen, the 'Green Drake Hatch' is as irresistible and habit-forming as black jack, whiskey, or easy women."
    Caucci and Nastasi, Hatches II

Technically speaking...it's not a spey fly. It's a spey style fly. Really nothing more than a streamer. But I'm not one to rename someone else's fly on a technicality as it might seem a little nit picky.

As long as you can cast it.......you can use it on any kind of rod you want. Double handed (spey / switch) rods simply make them easier to cast and control their swing.

I posted this earlier this year on this site when a similar question was asked by a member...... on "Is this a spey fly?"

What Have You Been Tying Lately? Spey/Switch Edition

"It's close enough for me. Speyish or kinda spey....... it's all chicken in the end. I'm not a fly snob......but it's fun to learn the history of our sport.

The use of the word 'Spey' is however overused and has muddied the true definition. Spey this...spey that... spey casts, spey rods, spey hackle,spey style, spey variation...... My head hurts.

I am not an expert in the matter...but have read as much material as I could find on the subject. Most notable is from the author John Shewey...who extensively researched the history of the Spey fly for his book 'Spey and Dee Flies'. He defines what a Spey fly, Spey style, Dee or neither are. He admits ownership along with Dave McNeese in the mislabeling and confusion from their time spent tying Spey style flies together in Dave's shop back in 1980s....calling everything Spey Flies. He tries to set it all straight.

I suggest checking out April Vokey's interview of John Shewey......he describes these subtle nuances and history of the 'Spey Fly' better than I.

A true 'Spey' fly originated by famed ghillie Geordie Shanks at Gordon castle on the River Spey in Northern Scotland. A true Spey fly is tied sparse with long flowing hackle. The wings are dressed to “produce a sort of hump-backed effect. Usually with bronze mallard. Hackle is Heron or from the Spey cock... which was a rooster bred by ghillies along the River Spey which were a mix of two types of birds, the cockerel or rooster from Hamburg. The breed has since been lost...but it was essentially an extra large rooster schlappen feather.

The Lady Caroline, Reeach (Riach) and King series are examples.... like this Gold Riach.

What Have You Been Tying Lately? Spey/Switch Edition-img_1546.jpg

Some additional info on the subject from Colin Innes's amazing website - Spey Flies

Most of what I am tying are Spey style flies. What the definition of 'Spey style' means to me is a modern twist of the original pattern. Your imagination is your only limitation. It could be a herl wing, feather wing, slip wing,or married wings tied in the Spey style vane with long flowing hackles. This could be schlappen, pheasant rump, rhea, blue eared pheasant, bleached goose, modern spey hackle, marabou, legal heron or the like......

To me... flies posted in this sub-forum includes your wonderful flies. Any large fly swung with a single or double hand rod for large Salmonoids is appropriate. This could be a Syd Glasso style, hair wing, tube fly, Intruder, streamer, Spider, Gaudy Atlantic Salmon fly, Spey, Dee or variants of any.

Heck if you create a nice pattern and swing for suckers from the ditch in your back yard.....feel free to share it.

Keep up the great work....I enjoy seeing your creations.

I suggest anyone interested in spey flies to check out John Shewey's or Bob Veverka's books. They are a great resource and help explain the history of the sport and why things are done a certain manner and what they should be called and why. It may seem trivial to some....but there is over 150 years of tradition that we shouldn't forget or muddy it with misinformation.

I hope this helps.

ft09 - Mike
    Last edited by flytie09; 05-16-2019 at 06:50 PM.

ďIf I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.Ē
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

Blue Ridge, Rappahanock, Potomac, Salmon River, NY and soon Sandy River, Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by flytie09 View Post
    Technically speaking...it's not a spey fly. It's a spey style fly. Really nothing more than a streamer. But I'm not one to rename someone else's fly on a technicality as it might seem a little nit picky.

As long as you can cast it.......you can use it on any kind of rod you want. Double handed (spey / switch) rods simply make them easier to cast and control their swing.

I posted this earlier this year on this site when a similar question was asked by a member...... on "Is this a spey fly?"

What Have You Been Tying Lately? Spey/Switch Edition

"It's close enough for me. Speyish or kinda spey....... it's all chicken in the end. I'm not a fly snob......but it's fun to learn the history of our sport.

The use of the word 'Spey' is however overused and has muddied the true definition. Spey this...spey that... spey casts, spey rods, spey hackle,spey style, spey variation...... My head hurts.

I am not an expert in the matter...but have read as much material as I could find on the subject. Most notable is from the author John Shewey...who extensively researched the history of the Spey fly for his book 'Spey and Dee Flies'. He defines what a Spey fly, Spey style, Dee or neither are. He admits ownership along with Dave McNeese in the mislabeling and confusion from their time spent tying Spey style flies together in Dave's shop back in 1980s....calling everything Spey Flies. He tries to set it all straight.

I suggest checking out April Vokey's interview of John Shewey......he describes these subtle nuances and history of the 'Spey Fly' better than I.

A true 'Spey' fly originated by famed ghillie Geordie Shanks at Gordon castle on the River Spey in Northern Scotland. A true Spey fly is tied sparse with long flowing hackle. The wings are dressed to “produce a sort of hump-backed effect. Usually with bronze mallard. Hackle is Heron or from the Spey cock... which was a rooster bred by ghillies along the River Spey which were a mix of two types of birds, the cockerel or rooster from Hamburg. The breed has since been lost...but it was essentially an extra large rooster schlappen feather.

The Lady Caroline, Reeach (Riach) and King series are examples.... like this Gold Riach.

What Have You Been Tying Lately? Spey/Switch Edition-img_1546.jpg

Some additional info on the subject from Colin Innes's amazing website - Spey Flies

Most of what I am tying are Spey style flies. What the definition of 'Spey style' means to me is a modern twist of the original pattern. Your imagination is your only limitation. It could be a herl wing, feather wing, slip wing,or married wings tied in the Spey style vane with long flowing hackles. This could be schlappen, pheasant rump, rhea, blue eared pheasant, bleached goose, modern spey hackle, marabou, legal heron or the like......

To me... flies posted in this sub-forum includes your wonderful flies. Any large fly swung with a single or double hand rod for large Salmonoids is appropriate. This could be a Syd Glasso style, hair wing, tube fly, Intruder, streamer, Spider, Gaudy Atlantic Salmon fly, Spey, Dee or variants of any.

Heck if you create a nice pattern and swing for suckers from the ditch in your back yard.....feel free to share it.

Keep up the great work....I enjoy seeing your creations.

I suggest anyone interested in spey flies to check out John Shewey's or Bob Veverka's books. They are a great resource and help explain the history of the sport and why things are done a certain manner and what they should be called and why. It may seem trivial to some....but there is over 150 years of tradition that we shouldn't forget or muddy it with misinformation.

I hope this helps.

ft09 - Mike
    Excellent, straightforward info, thanks.
    "To many afflicted Eastern fishermen, the 'Green Drake Hatch' is as irresistible and habit-forming as black jack, whiskey, or easy women."
    Caucci and Nastasi, Hatches II